• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

Don't know if anyone here was a reader of the monthly Eagle comic back in the late 80's/early 90's but there was a storyline in it called "Survival" that dealt with the eradication of all but a tiny fraction of the Earth's population by a virus and the story of a bunch of children struggling to survive after the catastrophe.  It was astoundingly similar to 28 Days Later in many ways and I remember loving it at the time.

Does anyone remember this strip?  Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?
*"Thank you", I said as I left, "I'll be on my way.  I see how it is.  We are all bourgeois now.  And somehow I'll raise myself through the world.  I'm free to choose...*

#2 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Well I'd say you're first ports of call would be eBay, Google and Wikipedia, I dug up a little info after a few second of searching just to see what's out there, but it'll be your job to read through all that stuff.

Try googling "Eagle survival comic"
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

#3 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Oh, I've searched those avenues.  This is the best synopsis of the tale I can find out there -

A plague had spread throughout the Earth, the only survivors were a handful of children and a few adults who had mutated into fearsome creatures. The strip followed one boy as he gradually contacted more of the surviving children. Quite a gripping tale...

Written by someone called D. Horton and illustrated by someone called Ortiz.  As for back issues, they're hard to find, even on Ebay.
*"Thank you", I said as I left, "I'll be on my way.  I see how it is.  We are all bourgeois now.  And somehow I'll raise myself through the world.  I'm free to choose...*

#4 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

It doesn't ring a bell. Was it from the 99%-fumetti days, or was it after they went to newsprint and everything was traditionally illustrated?

EDIT: Ignore that. It would've had to be after the change to newsprint... because that happened back in 19 fucking 83. How the time flies.  sad.gif

Edited by JasonT, 04 August 2007 - 07:37 AM.

#5 Venkman

Venkman

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Can't help you find it but I certainly remember it.

I used to love the Eagle monthly when I was but a young man. Nothing beat 'The Thirteenth Floor' though (not the shitty film - the ex-evil Artificial Intelligence now running a department store story)
Nobody steps on a church in my town! No one 'cept JOHNZILLA!!

#6 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

Yeah I loved Thirteenth Floor too.  Also notable was the Doomlord strip.  The last storyline of that character I loved was when aliens invaded Australia (cue gratuitous exclamations of "Strewth!" at every conceivable opportunity).

#7 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

Feast your eyes on the awesomeness of this.
Doomlord - The Deathlords of Nox collected edition

#8 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

James sent me on a copy of that last year, if memory serves it was actually published by an Irish crowd.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#9 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

As I recall, it was actually Matt who picked it up and I just sent it on.

#10 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

It's based in Ireland, yes. There's a Thirteenth Floor collection out now as well. Both are going as a single purchase on eBay:
eBay auction ends Feb 14th

#11 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (James @ Feb 12 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I recall, it was actually Matt who picked it up and I just sent it on.

I think you paid for it though. It was the year before wasn't it? 2006 when we went to Bristol but John broke his neck and had to stay at home, then we had a really boring time and have since decided not to go again.
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

#12 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,219 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

...and next year we all get to go to Dubai, yay!
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#13 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

Yay!  

#14 Venkman

Venkman

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

Oh bugger. I didn't know a Thirteenth Floor collection even existed. Wish I'd seen this before!!

Oh Eagle...
Nobody steps on a church in my town! No one 'cept JOHNZILLA!!

#15 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:06 AM

Before what? If you want to buy the collection, more copies have been listed on eBay I'm guessing they'll be made available more-or-less continuously that way.
Current auction ends 24 Feb
All items from this seller

#16 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Arise, undead thread!

QUOTE (Carnivorous Vulgaris @ Aug 4 2007, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know if anyone here was a reader of the monthly Eagle comic back in the late 80's/early 90's but there was a storyline in it called "Survival" that dealt with the eradication of all but a tiny fraction of the Earth's population by a virus and the story of a bunch of children struggling to survive after the catastrophe.  It was astoundingly similar to 28 Days Later in many ways and I remember loving it at the time.

Does anyone remember this strip?

http://www.backfromthedepths.co.uk/wordpre...0s-eagle-comic/

QUOTE (Carnivorous Vulgaris @ Aug 4 2007, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...9299E3399597965
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=363826475

#17 Spain

Spain

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Carnivorous Vulgaris @ Aug 3 2007, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone remember this strip?  Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?

SHIT man!!! I was looking for the fucking same comic book!! I have the first issue translated, my parents bought me in a second hand market somewhere!! So is it famous? Fuuuuck, I did not remember it. I have to look for that online.
Ridli Scott- Where's your spirit, boy?
J. Konstantin- I lost it in a brothel at Newcastle...

Here is my blog for the bored ones. New! Some posts are in English! And my comic blog.

#18 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Back issues pop up here occasionally: http://www.atomicavenue.com
... but I think eBay UK would be a more likely source. Did you look at the MySpace links I posted above?

#19 Spain

Spain

Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Jul 17 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back issues pop up here occasionally: http://www.atomicavenue.com
... but I think eBay UK would be a more likely source. Did you look at the MySpace links I posted above?

I did it fast, very nice. I will  check more later.
I got that comic in spanish. Incredible, but true.
Ridli Scott- Where's your spirit, boy?
J. Konstantin- I lost it in a brothel at Newcastle...

Here is my blog for the bored ones. New! Some posts are in English! And my comic blog.

#20 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Wow!  Didn't know my thread had been resurrected.  I just googled "Eagle comic Survival" again today purely out of coincidence.  Thanks for those links, JasonT!!! :smile:

Spain - I don't know if the story itself could have been described as famous but the Eagle was a hugely popular and influential comic among English and Irish readers (and evidently Spanish readers too!).  Definitely something of a cult phenomenon.

I remember when 28 Days Later's promotional campaign began and all I could think of was "Wow!  Somebody's adapted Survival!" (This was before I actually saw the film, mind).  I had my mates salivating over the prospect of this unearthed gem of a strip that I've been unable to find.  Why, oh why did I throw away all my Eagle back issues?!?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users