#21 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

View PostCarnivorous Vulgaris, on 24 December 2009 - 02:02 PM, said:

Why, oh why did I throw away all my Eagle back issues?!?!?!
Ouch.

You're welcome for the links. It's a shame the MySpace blog links are broken now — maybe the content has moved elsewhere.

#22 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Stop the Press!

Two working MySpace links -

First blog

Second blog
*"Thank you", I said as I left, "I'll be on my way.  I see how it is.  We are all bourgeois now.  And somehow I'll raise myself through the world.  I'm free to choose...*

#23 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:18 AM

:blush: Ahem. Thanks.

#24 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Ná bac leis

As with many artefacts from one's childhood, time's not been especially kind to Survival's opening chapters, not when considered via modern sensibilities.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh - the comic was, after all, aimed primarily at children - but there's an overly expositional nature to the first pages of the strip.  A conscious desire to dash through the premise, which is inherently fascinating, and dive right into the action.  Shame, really.  The haunting artwork, however, has aged remarkably well.  You can practically feel your skin breaking out into goosebumps looking at the poor wretches who have contracted the virus.
*"Thank you", I said as I left, "I'll be on my way.  I see how it is.  We are all bourgeois now.  And somehow I'll raise myself through the world.  I'm free to choose...*

#25 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

I always liked Ortiz's artwork a lot.

#26 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

What else has he done that you'd recommend?

#27 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

All of Ortiz' work in Eagle was top-notch: Tower King, House of Daemon, The Fifth Horseman, and I think that one about the news team.

#28 Carnivorous Vulgaris

Carnivorous Vulgaris

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Well, after going on an Ebay binge, I've reacquired the issues of Eagle that I owned years ago, plus a few more besides.

It's been a nostalgic headfuck, to say the least.  Just leafing through the pages of each issue again is like stepping back in time.  I remember exactly what I was thinking, what I was feeling, back when I read these stories for the first time.

Starting with Survival, one must remark that it grew in stature in my mind during the years since I've read it in inverse proportions to how good it actually is, a consequence of nostalgic longing.  It's still interesting fare, with some good ideas, a wonderfully bleak outlook and some stunning visuals.  But at heart it is, of course, a children's comic, replete with corny dialog loaded with exposition ("A car!  And it's coming straight at me!  I haven't got time to get out of the way!"), light characterisation if any and some stupendously poor resolutions to cliffhangers.  Ortiz's artwork, however, is worth the admission price and elevates it above mediocrity.  Some of it is comparable to Eddie Campbell's work on From Hell.  It's similarly striking.

Reading the rest of the strips, one gets the impression that the writers and artists must have been working entirely independent of one another.  The artists are serving up a wonderful visual feast of non-corporeal dimensions, gleaming starships, hideous monsters and mutuations, melting bodies and nightmare zones while the poor old writers, no doubt toiling away under the whip of a rapidly looming deadline, are churning out the most basic A moves to B moves to C material imaginable.

I was going to describe The Thirteenth Floor as a laughably right-wing little strip before I realised that it is in no way political or purposeful.  Every story is a variation on 'Ne'er-do-well gains access to Maxwell Tower, antagonises the tenants, is transported to the thirteenth floor by Max ("Thirteenth floor?  This building doesn't have a thirteenth floor!") where he is tortured for a few minutes before repenting unquestionably and set free.  The strip only exists so the reader can vicariously experience giving scumbags a good kicking and the most unusual thing about it is the fact that only one of the victims dies from fright.  The mandatory ludicrous dialog gets an outing too, of course ("The shark!  It's pulling me to pieces!").

Doomlord, I've since come to understand, has a degree of success outside of Eagle - even getting his own TPB from 2000AD.  The story I remember most fondly from the issues I read dealt with Vek fending off an alien invasion of Australia by The Populators Of Pollux (oh, yes).  There's a moment in the story where the fictional town of Ellis, Australia is being "sterilised" by a laser beam fired from a hovering alien starship, the beam melting or incinerating anyone or anything it comes into contact with.  Alien robots are then dispatched to mop up surivors.  One man, evidently hideously burned by the beam and who should be in agonising pain, sees the oncoming robots and loudly remarks, "Knock me down with a platypus!  Robots!"

Not that any of this will dissuade me from buying the remaining copies, assuming I can find them.  I still remain irredeemably sad.

#29 NOECUPAMIA

NOECUPAMIA

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostCarnivorous Vulgaris, on 06 May 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hello friends!

I also am a fan of this series.
Someone has mentioned that the series in Spanish, I also I have it, but incomplete (the first 76 pages of 183).
If someone could scan these pages missing, I will translate into both languages​​, would be the last comic eagles of which includes the publication, eagle # 319 and lower, 61 magazines to 3 pages per issue .... calculate you ...
I'm very interested, so I speak Spanish, but I do not know English. excuse the translator of google.
would need scans .. I would do the rest ..
I bring also this:

https://plus.google....5713?banner=pwa

is also the same comic, but a publication india ... in INDIAN!!, has other names and change some pages, so it can be investigated more thoroughly, but in the comments only use English and that language strange ... I slow

this is the most complete thread I found:

http://www.comicvine...vival/39-56657/

thanks and if these comics are there will be "survival".

#30 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

Hibernia Comics (bless 'em) has spotlighted 'Survival'. This Facebook link may or may not work:
https://www.facebook...7366824374818:0
Anyway, there's some chance they might do a reprint collection if there's enough interest.

Survival by José Ortiz and 'D.Horton' a pen name for Barrie Tomlinson ran for a little over a year in the Eagle. Telling the tale of a handful of kids doing their best to survive in a world where most of the population was wiped out by a virus. It was a great story, full of genuinely horrific moments, fantastic artwork, even though the ending let it down a little it would make a great collection. Cover by Ortiz.
Posted Image

#31 NOECUPAMIA

NOECUPAMIA

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hello and thanks for your reply and help
I've already got the compilation in English of the whole work.
Now I'm trying to find someone to translate it.
regards

#32 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image
:smile:
http://www.darkstar-...rge_p_4668.html

#33 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Stylish, but that looks like Dave Gibbon's 2000AD Mekon, not the Eagle version...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users