#2221 Bran the Blessed

Bran the Blessed

Street Magician

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostLou K, on 01 August 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Yeah, probably one and the same.

I thought the new take was very good. Set against the back drop of an intergalactic war that the Earth lost several thousand years ago. Highly recommended. Really not at all like it's predecessor aside from the name. trades should be readily available and cheap.

Not sure, did you ever read Muktuk Wolfsbreath, the Vertigo limited series I mean ? This is very similar to that, though a bit better written because the Terry LaBan had to introduce his characters and a whole bunch of shamanic concepts as well as have a plot with a big twist wrap up in only 3 issues so that's excusable. Haven't read that newer, seemingly more comedic version of Muktuk though.

#2222 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

I read Muktuk but it didn't really latch on

Probably was not in the mood for comedy at the time. I dunno
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#2223 Bran the Blessed

Bran the Blessed

Street Magician

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostLou K, on 01 August 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

I read Muktuk but it didn't really latch on

Probably was not in the mood for comedy at the time. I dunno

It was an interesting thing to focus on, but I guess it needed to be longer to properly shine.

Also finished Tiger Lung now. Pretty good. Given how much time and effort the author has put into this, it's sad that this trade is all thee is.

Can we get one story about nomadic Shamen fighting Supernatural evil that will maybe at least get the obligatory 12 issues please ?

#2224 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, I remember Muktuk! That was a fun book. I always like LaBan's stuff.

Yeah, that was the same Prophet, from the Cable cross-over, but this version of Prophet is very different from that original Image book. It's pretty much reinterpreting Prophet as Lone Sloane, if you are familiar with that series from Heavy Metal. It was reprinted by Dark Horse Comics in the 1990s, which is where I came across the series.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#2225 Bran the Blessed

Bran the Blessed

Street Magician

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostChristian, on 01 August 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember Muktuk! That was a fun book. I always like LaBan's stuff.

Yeah, that was the same Prophet, from the Cable cross-over, but this version of Prophet is very different from that original Image book. It's pretty much reinterpreting Prophet as Lone Sloane, if you are familiar with that series from Heavy Metal. It was reprinted by Dark Horse Comics in the 1990s, which is where I came across the series.

Nope. The only Heavy Metal thing I've ever seen is the not very good second movie.

#2226 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Alters #1 by Paul Jenkins-I wasn't very impressed. Jenkins is a better writer than this, and this comic read as if a novice were writing it. The story was very disjointed. It felt like the reader was dropped in the middle of a story, without any explanation for the setting. Too much was happening in this story.
For some reason, people are getting superpowers, and being called "Alters"? Are they meant to be the Inhumans?
There's a group....of scientists?....who are meant to be studying the "Alters"....I guess? They weren't properly introduced.
There's another guy....who's representing the government?....who is meant to be the villain, and he wants to kill the Alters....for some reason?
The background of the society introduced in to the story isn't clear, at all.
Then, there's the main character, who is an Alter teenager....who just happens to be transsexual, I guess? It isn't treated as a big deal in the comic (which is a tine thing), but at the same time, it isn't subtle about this fact either, as the dialogue just tells the reader, "this kid is a transsexual". OK, the book doesn't bother to explain any details of the story, but decides to just be obvious with this one fact. I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the fact that "Chalice" is an "Alter"?
I just couldn't get in to this book. I can't be bothered to stick with it. I was disappointed.
-Oscar Wilde

#2227 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

Sure am loving Black Hammer right about now

~ James

Posted Image

#2228 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Whatever makes you happy, Lou.

#2229 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Hahaha hey it's 2016

~ James

Posted Image

#2230 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Electric Sublime #1 (published by IDW)-I picked this up on a whim, because IDW had really been advertising it, and the cover looked really interesting. I really enjoyed this first issue, and plan to look out for the second.
It involves terrorists who have weaponized art....but, what that means, is that they (for example) have made the Mona Lisa wink, and this has somehow created a wave of insanity among people who see it. The main character has the ability to travel within paintings.
I've never heard of the writer before (W. Maxwell Price), and if this is his first series, then he's really talented, as the writing was of quite high quality. Not what you'd expect from a writer just starting out in comic books.
-Oscar Wilde

#2231 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

Thanks to the Indy Halloween Sale on Comixology, I'm currently reading through Requiem Vampire Knight by Pat "Charley's War" Mills and Olivier Ledroit.  It's about a Nazi officer killed during WW2 who finds himself resurrected in hell as a vampire.  It's kind-of-nuts but looks fucking amazing.  

Mills railing against his perceptions of PC culture does go a little far at times and it's kind of disappointing to see someone whose work had a huge impact on me at an early age espouse some off-colour opinions but whatever, it's still a lot of fun.

8 of the 9 currently available 50 page volumes (slated to run to 13) are available for 2 bucks a piece and are well worth it for the art alone.  If you're not at work, look some of it up online.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2232 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

The art is absolutely beautiful, and some of the humour in it more or less makes up for the ranting and the thin stories.

#2233 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

The third issue of Andy Diggle's James Bond: Hammerhead took me around two minutes to read. I believe this is called a "flickbook".

#2234 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:19 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on Jamie Delano's World Without End? A hardcover collection recently came out, and I've been pondering a purchase.

#2235 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

It's worth a look, but maybe not at hardback prices. The best thing about it, iirc, is the absolutely stunning painted art by John Higgins.

#2236 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,775 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

I'd like to read it some day. Only ever saw the first issue but never any others.

~ James

Posted Image

#2237 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I wasn't that big a fan of it. It's definitely one of Delano's weaker books. The artwork is gorgeous though. I'd agree with Dog, that if you can find it cheap, it's worth picking up, but not at hardcover price. I found the entire series in a 25cent box a long time ago.
-Oscar Wilde

#2238 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Eleanor and the Egret #1 (from Aftershock Comics)-This seems interesting. Lovely artwork from Sam Kieth (as you'd expect).  Not a great deal occurs in this first issue, but it is a mystery story, so leaving things vague might be on purpose.
It's about the world's greatest art thief, who uses her talking pet egret to help her commit the perfect crime. The talking egret may be more than it seems though.
It seems like a high-concept type of comic book, and is better than the majority of books on the stands each month in 2017.
-Oscar Wilde

#2239 BobafrigginFeet

BobafrigginFeet

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

I love Berserk

AN: If Constantine and Lucifer were in a drag down take out no-holds-barred fight, who wins?
MC: Lucifer wins, then as he's walking away he realizes his wallet's gone.

#2240 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,702 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

The third complete and utter Grendel collection.
(Or does that belong in the Big Expensive Comics thread?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users