269 replies to this topic

#261 dogpoet

dogpoet

Fappy, the anti-masturbation dolphin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

I'll go check now. The flag might have not come up or something.

I think that's the problem with Pollack's run in a nutshell, right there. It's a bit like Morrison, but nowhere near as good. If they want to collect something she did for DC, the New Gods series seemed to suit her a lot better.
(It's surprising how many SF and fantasy novelist's talent goes awol when they start scripting a comic instead of working in prose: it's hard to believe Anima was written by Elizabeth Hand or the same KW Jeter who wrote Farewell Horizontal and Dr Adder couldn't do any better than that shoddy Mister E miniseries...)

#262 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:34 PM

You didn't like Anima? I thought Anima was pretty great. It was what turned me on to Hand in the first place.
Also, to be fair, I'd say Pollack's Doom Patrol wasn't that far off from her normal prose output, based on what I have read by Pollack.
It is a completely different format of writing though, scripts versus prose. I can see why novelists find it so difficult do well with writing for comic books.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#263 Bran the Blessed

Bran the Blessed

Street Magician

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:03 AM

View Postdogpoet, on 01 August 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

I'll go check now. The flag might have not come up or something.

I think that's the problem with Pollack's run in a nutshell, right there. It's a bit like Morrison, but nowhere near as good. If they want to collect something she did for DC, the New Gods series seemed to suit her a lot better.
(It's surprising how many SF and fantasy novelist's talent goes awol when they start scripting a comic instead of working in prose: it's hard to believe Anima was written by Elizabeth Hand or the same KW Jeter who wrote Farewell Horizontal and Dr Adder couldn't do any better than that shoddy Mister E miniseries...)

Maybe it's cause you have to be a lot more descriptive in a book then in a comic ? I've seen some comics, especially ones features on AT4W, where the narrator goes on forever into such absurd detail that it's basically like reading a book with illustrations and that's usually pretty boring.

#264 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostChristian, on 01 August 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

You didn't like Anima? I thought Anima was pretty great. It was what turned me on to Hand in the first place.
Also, to be fair, I'd say Pollack's Doom Patrol wasn't that far off from her normal prose output, based on what I have read by Pollack.
It is a completely different format of writing though, scripts versus prose. I can see why novelists find it so difficult do well with writing for comic books.
I I enjoyed Anima, it was just rather different (to say the least) to Winterlong or Waking The Moon, wasn't it?

#265 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Well, Winterlong is far more of a sci-fi story (with some fantasy flourishes). I wouldn't say it was that different from Waking the Moon, which sits closer to the same genre as Anima.
-Oscar Wilde

#266 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'd say there's a bit of a gap there in terms of complexity, but that might just be me.

#267 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

now a proud owner of arkham asylum. man is it good.
i specifically love mckeans art.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#268 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

Klaus and the Witch of Winter-I haven't been too impressed with Morrison's work on Santa Klaus. It's been pretty mundane.
A lot of the stories hinted at in the text here were more interesting than the story on the page. Klaus captured by Lunarians? Shades of the classic Santa Claus Conquers the Martians? That's the type of craziness I expect from Morrison on Klaus.
This one-shot reminded me a lot more of a J.M. DeMatteis comic. I love DeMatteis, but I expect more from Morrison.
Klaus is sort of like Morrison writing Bruce Wayne Batman. He seems too in awe of the character to really stretch his creativity.
-Oscar Wilde

#269 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Yanick Paquette posted this panel from his work on the second volume of Grant's WW Earth-One.
Posted Image
Is that Sean "Alternative Facts" Spicer getting lasso of truthed?

#270 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Sure does look like it!

Just found out t hat Chris Burnham is coming to Motor City Comic Con so I can't wait to get my Nameless and Batman Inc rags signed!
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users