88 replies to this topic

#21 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Maybe it was that prolonged puppet show of The Christmas Carol. Still have no idea what that was about. Wasted a lot of the page count. Like I said, slow start.
It was just weird enough that I was sort of entranced by the whole scene.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#22 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

I've not read it yet. But they can sort of get away with a slower start than usual, right? Since they're planning this as an ongoing, rather than a mini-series and the time constraints that come with it
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#23 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Something worth seeing in the March solicitations. Mignola + Moon/Bá!!! OH WOW
http://www.newsarama...icitations.html
B.P.R.D.: VAMPIRE #1 (of 5)

Mike Mignola (W), Fábio Moon (W/A/Cover), Gabriel Bá (W/A), and Dave Stewart ©
On sale Mar 27
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Miniseries
After the horrific events of B.P.R.D.: 1948, we follow one doomed agent’s quest for revenge against a clan of vampires and their Gorgon-eyed queen Hecate.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

#24 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

BPRD: Return of the Master, part 5-Hmm....Things might be getting good. Or, we might be spinning our wheels and going in circles again. I can't tell which. I expected something a bit more here, but I'm not sure exactly. I'm keeping the faith with this series. Something major needs to happen and be followed up on now. It can't be, "Oh, things are getting worse! It's the end of the world!", and then another year of soldiers fighting big monsters.
I sometimes wonder if there's any direction to this title, or is it just making time for the events in Hellboy? I mean, there's this story-arc, "Oh, there's this guy. What's he up to?", and then it's, "Oh, that was just a red herring. He wasn't the 'master' alluded to in the title after all". Which, if there was a major shake-up in the status quo of the book would be fine, but we're left sort of wondering exactly how far-reaching anything here is going to be. And, this is supposed to be a major story-arc. So, there needs to be follow through.
-Oscar Wilde

#25 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hellboy in Hell #2 - NOW THAT IS MORE LIKE IT!
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#26 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Quite right! I love how Mignola has started to dig deep into the lore & mythology of Hell. HB seeing his throne was a highlight. I wonder....will HB meet his pa?
However, a minor issue....Mignola's art is not as strong as it used to be. Also, too many wide shots with tiny figures. I love it! I really do, but I start to ponder how this would all look if done by Fegredo.
I should say that is less a condemnation of Mignola's work and more high praise for the work of Fegredo, which I was spoiled on for so long.

#27 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

BPRD:The Abyss of Time #1-I like this story, it's very primal. It's a flashback story, but it fleshes out the mythology of the Hellboy universe.
It's very much in the vein of Robert Howard.

The one thing I worry about is the BPRD agents keep stumbling upon these ancient artifacts from before history now. The back-story tells that these were occult weapons used by shamans to drive the monsters from our world, at the dawn of history.
This better not be setting up the story where they gather all the artifacts and then use them to defeat the monsters....
Mignola promised this was the end of our world. It better not have such an easy, cop-out ending after all this. I'm expecting something epic, not a superhero story ending.
-Oscar Wilde

#28 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Hellboy in Hell #3 lacked in art, again. I'm sorry Mignola. I still love ya. But wow, what a story! HB meets (most of) his family! As his brothers squabble over how will reign in Pandomonium, we learn just enough of the family drama. Quality stuff. Also, I look forward to Mignola following on [ Spoiler : Hellboy's wayward sister. ]

#29 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Wait....Satana, Shawn?

Hellboy in Hell #4-Whew! I was thinking that another character had been ruined by revealing an origin story...
I was very excited to think that Edward Grey's origin was finally being told.
Then, I was very relieved to find out that he had told lies to Hellboy, so there's still a mystery as to what is truth and what is falsehood.
I was thinking that parts of continuity were being ignored, like how Grey ended up with the fairies.
I do think Grey's origin must be told at some point, I'm just glad this wasn't it, as it was weak. There must be much darker things in his past, considering.
Unfortunately, this isn't a monthly series after all. It was monthly for the first four parts, and now it's going to be shipping as a series of one-shots. The editors said not to expect the next installment for a number of months.
I'm feeling down on Mignola's work again. Hellboy is now moving very slowly. BPRD hasn't improved and feels like it's running in circles. The BPRD flashback mini-series are ok, but the last one was pretty inconsequential, even though it started out looking strong. And, an Abe Sapien ongoing doesn't sound promising, as I don't see what directions they can go with that character now, but I'll have to wait and see, I guess. I can't help but continue to feel that these books best days are behind them, and that "New World" effectively boxed the creators in to a corner.
I'm not saying the titles went in the wrong direction. There was no where else for the plots to move, but it's really unknown territory for an ongoing title, and it hasn't panned out very well so far.
-Oscar Wilde

#30 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Did not know we were in for a series of one shots now, that is a bummer.

Remind me, where does HB know Grey from?

~ James

Posted Image

#31 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I see what you did there, Christian. At first I thought it said "Santana".....I was like...'the legendary guitarist?!?'

I know very little about Grey, other than what small snippets I've read in Hellboy stories. Are his mini-series any good? I think they would be.

So, no monthly. Damn. I know Mignola said this whole in Hell thing was the new norm for Big Red. Looks like these first few issues were an intro or sorts. I suppose that's ok, I can wait for quality. Besides, I hope they will have some minis or one-shot of past Hellboy adventures to tide us over now and again.

#32 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Lou-Hellboy and Grey met for the first time in this mini-series.
Grey was famous in occult circles from the late-19th century, so Hellboy had heard of the name, but Grey was thought to have disappeared in the early-20th century, when he apparently got involved with the Brotherhood of Ra.
Grey has made appearances off and on throughout the Hellboy mythos, observing events with the fairy-folk. It was never explained how he ended up among the fairies, and there were hints that he was now immortal.
He always seemed like a very sad and tragic figure based on those appearances.
As Shawn said, there are two Edward Grey-Witchfinder mini-series that take place during the late-19th century.

Shawn-Yeah, they're both worth getting. Especially the first one though. The first one reads like something Alan Moore would write. A nice Victorian supernatural yarn.
The second one isn't bad either, a "weird Western" story, with Grey traveling to America.
-Oscar Wilde

#33 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for that, CC

~ James

Posted Image

#34 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Abe Sapien-Hey, guess what? It's another series where characters stand around and talk about how bad the world is, while nothing happens! You know, like the other Mignolaverse stories where this exact same thing happens month after month! The world really needed another book to remind us.
Then, in the letter's page, the editors once again remind us that "This is the start of something big". Really? You mean like the editors have been assuring us of this exact fact since the whole Hell on Earth story-line first started a couple years ago now? Yet, still, after all these issues, not one new thing has occurred.
This is the slowest and most boring end of the world I've ever read.
I'm very burned out on the Mignola books at this time. It probably is a better idea to read the books in Trades, but this is plain ridiculous.
-Oscar Wilde

#35 Maritimus

Maritimus

Street Magician

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

They are milking the concept as much as they can, while not bringing anything new or exciting to the table. Ever since the Hell oN Earth thing, it's been one big blur, and reading in trades doesnt help - i read Return Of The Master in one go - and all i got from it is soldiers going up a mountain and shooting monsters, hack'n'slash Diablo style, before getting on top of the mountain to fight even more monsters.. and then in the end a BIG monster comes out.. or something like that..

It all feels a bit stale, forcing myself to read BPRD, which i used to enjoy a lot.

#36 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm enjoying the newest Mignola-verse series, Sledgehammer '44.
It takes place during World War II, and is Mignola's foray into the "weird war tale", and also sort of his own pulp version of Iron Man.
It's the early adventures of the latter-day Iron Prometheus.
It has the feel of some of those 1960s/1970s DC horror books.

A big month for Mike Mignola. Hellboy in Hell ships again....a standalone issue...which makes you wonder why it took so long to see light...and then Hellboy will be gone again until next Summer.
Also, a Hellboy short story in Dark Horse Presents though.
Six Mignola books, in total, will ship during December actually.
-Oscar Wilde

#37 Avaunt

Avaunt

Doesn't actually mean lawful nice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, I got that Edward Grey first story  collection. Pretty awesome, but ( this isn't really a complaint now ) extremely Mignola. It kind of ticked boxes for one of his works. Great story with pathos and feelings, super art, great Victoriana London scenes, really detailed art work . . .  just very Mignola.
"A novel, according to my taste, does not come into the first class unless it contains some person whom one can thoroughly love, and if a petty woman all the better.
C.Darwin.

#38 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

It reminded me more of something Alan Moore would write, actually.
I am intensely interested in Edward Grey. He's my favourite character in the entire Hellboy-pantheon. I really enjoyed that first TPB.
-Oscar Wilde

#39 Avaunt

Avaunt

Doesn't actually mean lawful nice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

I got it down off the shelf and re-read it. Lovely facial art. Quite excellent scenery. He does fabric like nobodies business. Trifle too angsty, I feel. Don't pout, smite evil.
"A novel, according to my taste, does not come into the first class unless it contains some person whom one can thoroughly love, and if a petty woman all the better.
C.Darwin.

#40 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Huh. Sledgehammer '44. I'm gonna have to check that out.

~ James

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users