88 replies to this topic

#41 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Hellboy in Hell #5 is excellent. It has everything that made Hellboy one of the best comics ever. It's a perfect stand-alone story. The story reads like folklore. It also has the dream-like writing quality that made the Hellboy series work so well.
I actually enjoyed this issue more than the graphic novel, and this is easily my favourite issue of Hellboy in Hell, so far.
One of my picks for comic book of 2013.
It's just a shame that we have at least six more months before we see any more Hellboy.
(Well, not counting the short story in Dark Horse Presents next week.)

Also, I've been enjoying Abe Sapien lately. It started out seeming like another stringing out of this New World plot from BPRD, and as a needless book, but the past couple of issues have been delving into Mayan mythology, and it's been capturing some of the old BPRD magic that's been missing since the New World stuff (i.e. more than fighting big monsters, rehashing old plots, and wringing of hands over "the world ending" with little real follow-up).
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#42 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

View PostChristian, on 12 December 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Hellboy in Hell #5 is excellent. It has everything that made Hellboy one of the best comics ever. It's a perfect stand-alone story. The story reads like folklore. It also has the dream-like writing quality that made the Hellboy series work so well.
I actually enjoyed this issue more than the graphic novel, and this is easily my favourite issue of Hellboy in Hell, so far.
One of my picks for comic book of 2013.
It's just a shame that we have at least six more months before we see any more Hellboy.
(Well, not counting the short story in Dark Horse Presents next week.)

This times a thousand million.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#43 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

I loved Hellboy in Hell #5 from from front to back.

We have to wait another six months for more? Damn.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#44 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

somebody programmed a HELLBOY songlist
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#45 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

I was disappointed by the Hellboy story in Dark Horse Presents.
Not compared to Hellboy in Hell, which, let's face it, anything is bound to be a disappointment after that glorious story.
It was just that it was so short. You have to buy more issues of DHP to read the remainder of the story. I was hoping the whole story would be wrapped up in this book.
I might not even complain if this story drew me in, but I found the story (what little there was to see) pretty average.

On the other hand, DHP has improved since the last issue I picked up. There were a couple of readable stories in this one, at least. It's still over-price with too much material I'm not interested in reading, but this was a better installment than what I was reading before.
-Oscar Wilde

#46 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Yeah 7 bones for a fraction of a story...no thanks. I did buy it but I won;t be buying anymore. Only other story I really wanted to read was Nexus.

~ James

Posted Image

#47 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

What better way to resurrect this thread than with awesome news? How about a series showcasing past adventures of Hellboy during his days with the B.P.R.D. Written by Mike Mignola & John Arcudi with art by Alex Maleev
http://multiversityc...se-in-december/

I am already there! I just have to wait until December.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

#48 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

~ James

Posted Image

#49 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

Mike Mignola is going to add a Frankenstein Underground comic series to the list of Hellboy-verse titles for early-2015.
Mignola doing an ongoing Frankenstein's Monster book? Can this end up as awesome as I'm envisioning it?
With this added to the monthly Hellboy & BPRD flashbook comic, the Hellboy universe is starting to look very interesting again, regardless of the dull and repetitive new BPRD stuff.
-Oscar Wilde

#50 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostChristian, on 22 October 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Mike Mignola is going to add a Frankenstein Underground comic series to the list of Hellboy-verse titles for early-2015.
Mignola doing an ongoing Frankenstein's Monster book? Can this end up as awesome as I'm envisioning it?
With this added to the monthly Hellboy & BPRD flashbook comic, the Hellboy universe is starting to look very interesting again, regardless of the dull and repetitive new BPRD stuff.

OH! I like this a great deal! I can nearly 100% guarantee I'll be buying this.
It also makes think of Roger. And I miss him. RIP, homunculus bro

#51 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

Ha! Yeah roger was the first guy I thought of

I'll check out any mignola Frankenstein

~ James

Posted Image

#52 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hellboy & the BPRD #1-Sadly, the golden age of Hellboy comics is long over. It was nice to see Alex Maleev on art here, but did they have to decide to write like Brian Bendis as well?
We already have the most decompressed end of the world scenrio every month in Mignola's books. We didn't need a new Hellboy comic where nothing happens.
The series will be broken in to a set of 5-part stories, each covering the early years of Hellboy's time with the BPRD. I'm sure more than one case happened in each year. I'd rather see a series of one or two part quick stories, taking up each year.
It's a shame that we get so much Mignola-verse titles every month now, but only the main Hellboy comic is worth the time.
-Oscar Wilde

#53 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Frankenstein Underground #1-This is better than what's been going on in current BPRD and Abe Sapien, and is probably better than Hellboy & the BPRD as well (which has been pretty dull), but it still isn't anywhere close to the Hellboy books in their glory days. It feels more like a retread, rather than a book that has a purpose in existing. Mignola working on Frankenstein should be far more creative than this.
-Oscar Wilde

#54 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

There was actually a damn fine issue of Abe Sapien this month! Good non-Hellboy Mignola books are becoming a rarity.
It's a flashback story with Hellboy and Abe. Just a good, back to basics monster story with heart, like Mignola's books used to be. No, "waiting for Godot" (or end of the world, I guess). No heavy continuity.
The two characters explore the myth of Ogopogo.
-Oscar Wilde

#55 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

I thought the letterer did a fine job on the art, too. Very enjoyable issue.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#56 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

Frankenstein improves greatly with issue #3. I wanted to see something more like this when I heard Mignola was working on Frankenstein.
A man with psychic abilities foresees the coming of World War I. Horrified by the carnage and inhumaity wrought by man, he and a group of occultists venture to the center of the Earth. Convinced by the pseudo-scientific claims of early hollow Earth proponent Symmes, they expect to find a paradise. They find something far worse.
This is the type of romanticism I always loved about Hellboy. Somehow, giant monsters destroy everything for years on end just isn't the same.
-Oscar Wilde

#57 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

Wow! There are actually events happening in the BPRD related titles now. It's amazing.
Hell on Earth will finally be coming to an end soon, and the next chapter of the Hellboy/BPRD saga will begin. I hope the final segment is far more interesting than the Hell on Earth segment, which has been so drawn out and repetitive. This Hell on Earth saga better end with humanity being extinct by the end. That only those who are more than human will survive in to the new world, as the last remnants of what was the human race. It seems like that's where it's going. A lot of fans have speculated that it's pretty obvious what all this will be setting up, that Abe Sapien is going to take his place as leader of the "New Race of Man", while Hellboy will finally accept his destiny as King of Hell, and that the two opposing sides will fight each other to decide the future of Earth. I will be very upset if there's some sort of miracle that happens which leads to events in the Hell on Earth titles being reversed. We were promised by Mignola that this "end of the world" would truly harken in something totally different. How much more disappointing would it be, after all these years of waiting for something to actually happen with "Hell on Earth", if at the end, it leads nowhere?
-Oscar Wilde

#58 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

Personally, i want the human race to pull thru. I see it ending with small pockets of tribes rather than a rebuilt giant civilization though. You are right about the repetitiveness of it though. my favorite storyline so far is the guy who is possessed by the spirit of that old indian or caveman or whatever.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#59 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Abe Sapien was haunting this month (#30). Abe Sapien has been getting a lot better recently, as the book has been dealing with the actual background for the end of the world, rather than just focusing on big fights, like BPRD. This month's issue was a flashback story telling the origin of the recurring black magician, Strobl. It was actually a history of the occult through the 19th century, told through the fictional account of Strobl. The artwork is stunning, with most of the pages being done in a way that they could be used as paintings. There were references to the Goetia.
I think someone had their copy of Richard Cavendish out to research this issue.
I'm wondering who the one noted historical occultist was meant to be. The name is written in cursive and looks like "Bramfield", but I'm not familiar with any Bramfield from the world of the occult. I was wondering if it was Owen Barfield? Not sure.
-Oscar Wilde

#60 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I was, sadly, not very impressed with the Hellboy Winter Special, after waiting all month to see it. I felt it was more a showcase for the artwork, rather than anything else.
The first story set in pre-history didn't really make much sense.
The second story, a Hellboy story set in 1953, was the best story, but I felt it was very "by the numbers". Nothing we haven't seen many times before in Hellboy. Hellboy, himself, seemed out of character and unnecessary in the plot, as well.
The other two stories were just filler. Mignola wasn't even involved with them. The Lobster Johnson story at the end was just a two-page gag strip.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users