Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

http://thegeekiary.c...-producer/17725

Constantine’s Bisexuality Acknowledged by Executive Producer

Posted by Angel K On October 12, 2014  0 Comment
Posted Image
This week at New York City Comic Con, one of The Geekiary author’s, Bandit. had the opportunity to sit down with Constantine Executive Producer David S Goyer at a press round table.  One of the issues that was discussed was about the title character’s bisexuality, which has been mentioned previously with less than positive results. During the discussion Goyer confirmed for the first time that Constantine sleeps with both “men and women,” whereas in most previous interviews he seemed to brush the issue aside and grew defensive when pressed about the issue. He made no promises on when this aspect of the character would be revealed on screen, but the acknowledgement and the surrounding discussion is something worth noting.

“Any adaptation of something in a different medium is going to change a little bit, but it hews pretty closely. I think by the time people have watched the first twelve or thirteen episodes, they will be shocked at how much of that original Hellblazer milieu is embodied in the show.
I mean, he had to be British. He had to have the trench coat, the skinny tie. Even though he’s on Network, he had to be a smoker [...] He’s snarky, and he lies, and he’s terrible to the men and women that he sleeps with. He’s just not your first choice when you think of someone to save the world, but unfortunately he’s the guy we’ve got, and that’s what makes him so fun. And we said those things to NBC at the beginning, we said if you can get behind this guy, he’s not like a shiny matinee idol guy, then we’re good. And they’ve embraced that.

(Video of this interview will be posted here as soon as it is available. Stay tuned.)
Of course, this news has been met with its fair share of criticism and doubts. Many on Twitter won’t believe it until they see it, which is fair considering American Network TV hasn’t had a bisexual protagonist yet. The UK has Jack Harkness on Torchwood and Kieren Walker on In the Flesh.  Meanwhile Canada has Bo on Lost Girl.  However, bisexuals on American TV have been relegated to secondary characters or difficult to access cable networks.  It’s not a surprise that even this acknowledgement, which I view as a positive step towards getting our representation on TV, would be met with major doubts from other fans.
Posted Image
Still, for many this was enough to finally convince them to watch the show. The perceived erasure of his bisexuality drove away many potential viewers who were wary of another straight-washed character. Though Goyer made it clear that he “never said he wasn’t bisexual,” it’s obvious that many took his previous comments as exactly that. Fellow Executive Producer Daniel Cerone even brushed the idea off by saying they might get to it in “20 years.”  As shows don’t usually last that long, this came as an indicator that it would never get addressed.  Both Goyer and Cerone have seemed far more concerned with the character’s smoking habits than his sexuality, even going as far as saying that his sexuality would only be addressed when they’ve “mined” everything else interesting about him.  Goyer attempted to clarify his previous comments by clarifying that he simply meant it didn’t happen immediately in the comics.

“I think it took eight years to get to that in the comics. . . at one point I said twelve but I believe it was eight years. We never said he wasn’t [bisexual].”

While the chronology issue is similar to the quote we’ve heard before from Cerone, things are different now.  With the early introduction of Zed, it’s pretty clear they aren’t sticking to the comic canonical timeline anymore so their stance that it won’t be addressed due to timeline issues are now completely moot. If they wanted to stick strictly to the canon timeline, Zed would still have some time before gracing our TV screens. The fact that this was one of the defining characteristics of the character that they brought up to the network also means that the idea of discussing it has been talked about behind the scenes to some degree, whereas before it seemed like they had barely given it a second thought.  These are things that we didn’t have before and they change the conversation quite a bit.
Now that he’s acknowledged Constantine’s sexuality head on, many fans that had promised to steer clear seem to be ready to give it another shot and many will be heading into the show with a renewed enthusiasm.
Posted Image
Disclaimer: These are only the tweets found in the author’s mentions, though others can be found elsewhere online.
Right now we know his sexuality isn’t addressed in the pilot. It probably won’t be addressed in the first few episodes after that either. We know that they switched out the main female character shortly after the pilot and the new actress is the one who has been attending the press events, so it’s safe to say that the audience reaction to their dismissive attitude hadn’t become apparent to them until after that point.  Now that they’ve been asked about it at numerous press events and people have begun to contact the network via social media and other means about the issue, it should be pretty clear to them now that this isn’t a topic that should be brushed off with “maybes” and vague time frames.  The tonal shift between San Diego Comic Con’s confrontational incident and this much more straight forward acknowledgement might mean that they’re finally beginning to understand that this is something that many people view as important.
I’ll be extremely happy if they address it clearly in the first half of the season, but at the very least I feel like a casual mention of it by the end of season one is a requirement at this point. The way it is addressed will also be important. In the comics his sexuality was treated as an aspect of who he was, not a phase or as a way to simply “mine” him for something “interesting.” Most fans aren’t asking for more than what was presented in the comics, except for it to be addressed earlier as TV shows typically don’t last eight years or more. Of course, there’s always room for improvement, like how Game of Thrones made Loras and Renly’s relationship much more obvious than it read in the books. For most of us we would simply like some positive representation on TV. We want a clear bisexual character who can kick ass, just like Jack Harkness and Bo.
If the show doesn’t deliver at least a passing mention by the end of the first season, I can guarantee that many of those fans that decided to give this show a shot after Goyer’s recent comments will probably feel quite betrayed. While I planned on watching regardless, his words gave me a much more optimistic outlook headed into the series. While I do understand the “I won’t believe it until I see it” outlook, I feel much more confident about our chances of actually seeing it now than I did just a few days ago. It’s clear we’ve made our opinions on the matter known.  They’re tone has shifted and this is no longer an issue that they can just brush aside.  Representation matters and the Executive Producers are well aware of that now.

#2 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Maybe now they can STFU.

They never antagonized Delano-Ellis, Carey-Diggle (and he who shant be named) before this. But then again, they just went by a website that lists LBGT comic characters and two panels rather than read the whole series
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#3 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

does it mean they'll include it in the show or is this just to throw them a bone (no pun intended)?
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#4 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

View Postslinker, on 13 October 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

does it mean they'll include it in the show or is this just to throw them a bone (no pun intended)?
from the article it sounds a lot like the latter, doesn't it? since it is nbc and they don't even show him smoking i have my doubts they will show any sex scenes (no clue though about nbc's policies). let him on occasion hit on a guy or mention a former lover, but please don't go for the manor arc because that one was aweful.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#5 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:32 AM

View Postseventhcircle, on 13 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

View Postslinker, on 13 October 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

from the article it sounds a lot like the latter, doesn't it? since it is nbc and they don't even show him smoking i have my doubts they will show any sex scenes (no clue though about nbc's policies). let him on occasion hit on a guy or mention a former lover, but please don't go for the manor arc because that one was aweful.

Especially from the same author who turned the Amazon's in Wonder Woman into rapists and babykillers.

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#6 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

"Oh, OK, John's bisexual. Now you all know!"

"OK, but like you haven't um shown him do anything bisexual and the season finale is next week!"

"is it? lost track of time a bit, eh what? jolly good!"

"But..."

"yes?!?!"

"But what about his..."

"look, do you actually have to see him snogging a bloke to be happy? I thought the mere mention of 'the occasional bedded bloke' in a laundromat full of old birds was enough to make you identify with this character with whom you really have absolutely nothing in common, other than shagging the occasional bloke! Is there anything else?"

"But..."

"As long as you're happy about it..."
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#7 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

View Postslinker, on 17 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

"Oh, OK, John's bisexual. Now you all know!"

"OK, but like you haven't um shown him do anything bisexual and the season finale is next week!"

"is it? lost track of time a bit, eh what? jolly good!"

"But..."

"yes?!?!"

"But what about his..."

"look, do you actually have to see him snogging a bloke to be happy? I thought the mere mention of 'the occasional bedded bloke' in a laundromat full of old birds was enough to make you identify with this character with whom you really have absolutely nothing in common, other than shagging the occasional bloke! Is there anything else?"

"But..."

"As long as you're happy about it..."

Apprarently it's not enough for the camp. I got into it with two people over one o saying they need to acknowledge it immediately in otder to capture the aliennated LBTGQ viewers and I got accuse of bigotry and "never have read the comics". Christ! It's not my fault I read all of the issues nor is it Goyer and Cerone's for folloing the material to th teeth rather than filtered perceptions where sexuality is 100% imortant than how our boy look and sounds.

Some days I wish Azzarello never did his shitty 100 Bullets meets Donnie Darko hybrid that was Ashes and Dust

#8 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

well to this point our boy hasn't done anything at all, that identifies his sexuality in any way. for all we know he could be asexual. ha there is a thought.
zed tries seducing john. and he is like, nah i don't like sex. zed: with me? or with women? what do you mean? john: i have tried everything, believe you me, EVERYTHING. i am just not into it. can't we all just live together without touching each other?
that would obviously be far from the comic, but it would troll those guys so hard, that i would piss myself from laughing.

*disclaimer: i am aware that this may not represent how asexuals behave or feel. or how any human being would actually talk. its simply for the point of the joke.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#9 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

He did kiss Gaz on the forehead for a long time.

#10 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

View Postslinker, on 15 November 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

He did kiss Gaz on the forehead for a long time.

Peanut Gallery: "But that's not enough!" *stomps feet like bratty kids*

#11 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Come on chaps, PLEASE let's not make over-active threads out of the non-issues.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#12 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostA. Heathen, on 15 November 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Come on chaps, PLEASE let's not make over-active threads out of the non-issues.

Alright mai capitain.

Posted Image

#13 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

http://tytempletonar...-bun-toons-yay/
Posted Image
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

#14 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

Heh. The Keanu panel was dead on

#15 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

Come on chaps ...

I see what you did there.

#16 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostJasonT, on 19 November 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Come on chaps ...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#17 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

"I respect everyone I sleep with"

Now the pitch forks can be put away.

#18 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Haha.  You think it would be that easy?
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#19 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

At this point, the "people who are angry about bisexuals being angry about Constantine" demographic seems a lot louder than the actual "bisexuals being angry about Constantine" one.

Just sayin'.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#20 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,271 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

Daniel Cerone on twitter says....

@xceteras John's sexual openness was intro'd gradually over time in the comic.  We've dropped hints and in one coming script it's clear.

featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users