113 replies to this topic

#101 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

That's fairly nice improvement. I like it!
I am guessing they are borrowing a page from the Arrow playbook, with little DC easter eggs that won't mean much casual or new fans, but will set us more devoted nerds all a flutter. Obviously they going to cover the more magical parts of the DC universe.

I'd love see some posters of the Great Zatanna! Performing Live! or some such.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#102 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, while I'm a grouchy Vertigo head I'm all for that kind of stuff.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#103 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

I wonder if we'll ever get The Stranger tp appear even though Manny might've filled that position
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#104 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

View Postchamber, on 06 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Is that a pack of cigs and a lighter I see on the table in that trailer :wink:

It is! I take it Goyer and Cerone did win the Ciggie War after all?...
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#105 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

I was just coming here to post that! darn kids! get out of my yard!

Posted Image
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#106 Guest_Nick Neko_*

Guest_Nick Neko_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

That's such a cool picture. Perfect setting and character effect!
If the show can get the tone and dialogue to go with those sorts of perfect scenes, there'll be no need to worry about this ending up like the movie or DC comic.

#107 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

Soooo i like the trailer actually, a lot. The guy looks spot on. Whyever they always want to name him constanteen escapes me, but who (really) gives a crap, when the rest is good (big if). To not let him smoke on screen is a big booh. Cigsmoke does add a lot to a gritty edgy look to both the scenery and the charakter. If it is clearly stated that he does smoke, then a dangerous habit-ish story arc is a must. One thing that bummed me a little, the coat looks to new, i get that he is like a young john and all and that he possibly just bought it, but that coat needs to stain-up, suggestions: blood, sweat, whiskey and yeah one or another burnhole from cigarettes (i smoke myself, that shit happens). The whole soul thing seems not as far off as some here seem to think, as i remember nearly all of the different writers had him try to get the brimstone stained fingers of some demon ass off (or whatever exactly the first of the fallen is) of his precious soul. Wasn't that basically the reason for demon-john in the first place? It is an easy to understand motivation for a new audience, so it's fine with me. The setting (murica) is ok too, the network obviously thinks it will go better with the audience and i fear they might be right (may be some prejudice to the american viewership on my behalf). SO what would i wish from the series:
Not a lot of magic, seriously john is like an amateur in the stuff and he stated himself so on multiple occasions, when he has need of the big league shit, he either uses a "friend" to do it, collects powerful equipment or snorts up a line of jesu... *cough santa claus. They would go better with not always showing what happened actually, but to leave the viewership with ambiuity about johns actual powers (also less money needed for the fx), like when he dealt with the terror elemental the second time. I liked the "little" things, like ouija boards, pendulums and cheap street magic tricks. Oh and that witch laying a dragon egg scene, i would donate money for the fx :D
Social criticism and politics. That is a big one and at least half the reason i liked the comics so much. The US got a lot of issues and john is a perfect vehicle for adressing them. There is a lot of ignorance, poverty, pride, xenophobics, fascists, elitists and greed over there (i guess like everywhere else in the world) and the stories always worked best when john was ballsdeep in the dark muddy shit of our society. (Soul stock market plot - possible emmy?)
Crossovers. Generally please please don't. Acceptable exceptions: swamp thing for an hommage to the origins and zatana for that perverted magical tantric sex scene ;)
I want humans that spill out their guts, demons that collect little children, fairy-bushes that are totally annoying, a pile of johns dying ex-girlfriends, nazis that morph into one giant ugly motherfucker, i want rakes at the gates of hell and angels that fall for little cute succubi and a john constantine devastated by cancer giving the unholy trinity the finger. dammit i soooo want this to be good.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#108 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

slowly I'm allowing for the "teen" name, but in me head, it always connects directly to Keanu hissing with his forked tongue twixt his poison fangs - "i'm joooohn fucking cooonstaaaanteeeeeeen." eat a dick, Ted Theodore Logan! You are NOT Constant-INE, -EEN, or ollie-ollie-oxen-free!

and look, I gots no hates for Ted Theodore Logan, but he had an opportunity to do something cool and instead played our John like another Neo, Johnny Hedgemonic, or Ted T Logan. Nothing new or specific to our John. So, I doesn't hates it, I just hates its effort portraying the Hellblazer in celluloid.

And that all spills over me every time I hear Constanteen. sighing sighs.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#109 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

I've made the confession before, but I always pronounce his name Constant-een.
That was how I thought it was pronounced before I got a copy of the first Annual and saw differently.
But, I could never go back, because it didn't sound right. There's a certain way to say Constant-een that seems to fit how the character talks in my head, that just doesn't work when I say it Constant-ine. When I try to have the character say his name correctly in my head, his voice dips at the end, and makes it sound goofy. So, I've never been able to change in my head that he says his name Constant-een.

I highly doubt we need to worry about cross-overs. The way I understand it, they need to get permission and pay royalties to DC for any characters they use in the series who aren't directly from the Hellblazer comic umbrella. They've paid for the rights to Hellblazer, not any other characters. So, if they want to use (say) Zatanna, they need to get permission from DC Comics, and then they need to pay a fee for the rights to use the "Zatanna" name and likeness on the show.
It's also why we don't need to worry about Nick Necro showing up, as he's affiliated with the Constantine series, not with Hellblazer.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#110 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

My theory is that the mispronunciation is conscious and in-character because the proper one reminds him too much of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. When people try to correct him, he crumples into screaming PTSD
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#111 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

To be fair, keanu always plays neo. Have you seen "Something's Gotta Give"? Thats a romantic comedy for crying out loud. Imho he just isn't into the whole acting with your mimic thing really :D

View PostGwilym, on 18 June 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

My theory is that the mispronunciation is conscious and in-character because the proper one reminds him too much of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. When people try to correct him, he crumples into screaming PTSD
I love the idea. Imagine the following:
"The name is Constan..." [Flashback] A wall of flames appear. [Now] The boy is getting pale. [Flashback] A little girl screaming in terror. [Now] Hands begin to shake. [Flashback] A big effin dog howls and a demonic voice whispers something along the lines of "Gottcha!" [Now] Heavy sweating. "...teen. The name is Constanteen." Each episode it is getting worse and worse, depicted as the name introduction scene becomes longer and longer. To stop it john tries every drug known to man but only demon blood can shake him up properly. So for the daily fix, he becomes the manwhore of some low life demon. As a result he leads the world to the edge of destruction, only then to reveal, that he actually just conned everyone and wanted to infiltrate hell. He reveals hells plans to get all the people who can not make a living in the us after the crash of 08 into demon blood addicts and hells slaves to take over the world. In the process everyone he knows dies or becomes extremly astranged to him. In the end he saves the world has no friends and then pam he meets zatana and i get my sex scene :D solid first season i would say.

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#112 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Not having cable or satellite TV, my TV is solely set up as something for a DVD player, I often find myself looking for DVDs to rewatch on sleepless nights, as something to do. Last night, I dipped in to my Millennium DVDs again...and it dawned on me. There's already the perfect format for a Hellblazer TV show in Millennium. Just change some of the basics of Millennium, and you have everything that the Hellblazer TV show should be. I get a sinking feeling, more and more, that now that I have this set in my head as what I want the Hellblazer TV show to be, I'm going to be wildly disappointed with what's allowed on the Hellblazer show.
OK, maybe Millennium wasn't the best show to copy, as apparently TV viewers found the show too unsettling and grim, which steadily lost it more and more viewers as the show went on.
But, I'm still hoping the Hellblazer TV show we see will be somewhat close to what Millennium was.
A world-weary detective with psychic power. Occultism. A dark world view. The basics of a Hellblazer show are covered.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#113 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

That's when I decided Lance Henriksen IS the Saint of Killers.

#114 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostChristian, on 22 June 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

There's already the perfect format for a Hellblazer TV show in Millennium. Just change some of the basics of Millennium, and you have everything that the Hellblazer TV show should be. I get a sinking feeling, more and more, that now that I have this set in my head as what I want the Hellblazer TV show to be, I'm going to be wildly disappointed with what's allowed on the Hellblazer show.

This post was echoing through my skull almost the entire time I watched the pilot. Ruiner!

(You didn't ruin it; I still enjoyed it, but what we saw would've been so much better if it'd gone through this show's funereal filter)
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users