67 replies to this topic

#41 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

There are certainly some people making a somewhat unreasonable fuss about the issue, especially given that it's apparently already resolved to as great a degree as could ever reasonably be expected, but the degree of vitriol being directed at the people who were quite understandably a bit narked about the apparent straightwashing of John seems almost comically over the top. Bisexuality remains massively underrepresented in popular media, and even though it only very rarely played much of a role in the comics it is an established facet of the character, so as one of very few bi protagonists out there it's not surprising that he's become something of a mascot. Ironically enough, there's a reasonable chance that the TV show could do a better job of representing John as a bisexual character than the comic itself ever did, and I reckon that'd be something worth celebrating.

As to those supposedly attention-seeking bisexuals* making such a big noise about being bisexual...well, in my experience most sexually active bi folks *do* tend to be fairly vocally open about it, as long as they live in a place where it's safe to do so (and even if they don't, online is a pretty safe space for that). Firstly, the more visible they are as a group the more normalised and accepted bisexuality will hopefully become, and secondly...well, there aren't a great many of non-straight people out there, really. Being open about one's sexuality is a pretty important thing if one wants to maximise the chances of meeting someone of your preferred gender(s) in the first place...

Thirdly, of course, there's just the simple matter of wanting to lay a claim to one's own identity in the face of a culture that's generally ignorant of or hostile towards it. That's a lot more important than most people who aren't members of an oppressed/marginalised/underrepresented minority tend to appreciate.

*Full disclosure: I'm one of 'em, although not among those to whom this particular issue is especially important.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#42 TheDevilYouKnow

TheDevilYouKnow

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 21 January 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

apparently people on Tumblr are still mad and bringing up old stuff just to stay mad at the show. They ask for bisexuality, the show gives bisexuality, and they're still mad. Plus, I don't think someone who is bisexual just randomly yells it out to the world. In a normal situation I would think they would give small hints of flirtations here and there, which is what John has done.
the biggest complaint i've seen on imdb is that john is too much of a happy-go-lucky do-gooder in the show.

the guy nearly drowned a baby to death in episode 8.....

some are even complaining about the non-smoking when he's seen with a cigarette atleast once in every single episode....

as for tumblr, their opinions usually aren't worth much. neither are the opinions of those on imdb either usually :P
thanks to john constantine , i'll now wear trench coats, smoke and drink constantly, talk in a british accent, get a sting haircut, fuck lots and lots of people, start a punk band, piss off people on a daily basis for shits and giggles, and literally piss on vampires and trick demons into curing my cancer.

like a BOSS.

#43 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

I think Mark has pretty much said all that needs to be said, very eloquently, as usual.

Thank you, mate.
World shut your mouth.

#44 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostGwilym, on 27 January 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

So yeah, to the surprise of not a single one of earth's humans, Cerone's "John kisses a man! Promise!" was talking about Chas. Platonic, token, and in the context of getting Chas out of the way so he can go home with a bird. Queerbaiting of the worst kind, and easily the most cringeworthy and idiotic moment of the entire debate. Whether he's consciously trolling or completely oblivious, he needs to stop digging.

And then smash himself in the face with the spade, as penance. I apologise if the topic is now anathema, but for the thread to be locked as somehow 'resolved' with those as the last official words is not a good thing.

The thread was closed by me because the issue was being hashed and rehashed, and  was running into completely different matters separated into a different thread.

You make a good point here, relevant to the episode and maybe someone should address it to Daniel Cerone.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#45 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

https://twitter.com/...315214761955328
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#46 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

It wasn't a lie...that's all I got. I wasn't expecting full on tongue action anyway. I feel like NBC's John is bisexual but would rather make out and do the deed with women while flirting and having the rare one hitter quitter with men.

#47 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

btw for tv characters: does archer count as bisexual?

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#48 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

That's reasonable, A Heathen; I did see how you'd pruned off our discussion of Tumblr and replanted it in its own garden. It makes sense.

But yeah, I also think the "once in 300 issues, so it's irrelevant to the character" argument isn't holding up very well either, because in the ten episodes shown so far, he's managed to have about as much casual sex as he did during those entire 300 issues.

Maybe I'm just forgetting some, but there's the student at the start of Fear Machine, the prostitute in that fucking terrible Azzarello story, and... is that it? I guess you could argue the (possibly imaginary) woman from The Bloody Saint was a one-night stand. Everyone else he's fallen into bed with has been someone he cares about.
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#49 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

the horrorist started off with a one night stand too, didn't it?

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.

#50 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

He shagged a lesbian in Son of Man.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#51 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

View Postseventhcircle, on 27 January 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

the horrorist started off with a one night stand too, didn't it?

The chick who talked the talk but failed to walk the walk in whips and bondage.
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#52 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

True! I can't believe I forgot the lesbian. I blame society

#53 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,733 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

He slept with Chas' prostitute cousin in Family Man. And tried to short change her, the rat.
World shut your mouth.

#54 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

There's also the brazillian chick from The Knowledge

View PostPooka, on 27 January 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

He slept with Chas' prostitute cousin in Family Man. And tried to short change her, the rat.

Norma! Even late-Carey, she wasn't having any one John's shit in the wake of Nergal taking Chas' body for a spin (plus the wallop Renee recieved post-Nergal)
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#55 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

i can't even remember chas being possessed by nergal oO

#56 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

View PostGwilym, on 27 January 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

True! I can't believe I forgot the lesbian. I blame society

Straightwashing queerbater !

#57 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

View Postseventhcircle, on 27 January 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

It was when John's sister was killed and he had to go to hell to get her.

#58 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Ok my argument is looking particularly flimsy.

#59 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 27 January 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

View Postseventhcircle, on 27 January 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

It was when John's sister was killed and he had to go to hell to get her.
ah right!

#60 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,733 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

theres some nightmare  sex in On The Beach, so one way or another he's dipping his wick on a very regular basis.
World shut your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users