228 replies to this topic

#201 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,271 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:40 AM

Second issue of Secret Empire had a couple of good scenes, namely [ Spoiler : Black Widow cold-cocking Hawkeye and then agreeing to turn the Champions into bad-asses ] but the big reveal at the end was rubbish.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#202 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Spoil it for me, buddy, I will never read it.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#203 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Steve Rogers shows up in a forest, saying he "just wants to go home". Steve Rogers is supposed to be the ruler of the Hydra American Empire, as Captain America.
I hope it doesn't end up as "Captain America is too good and perfect to be corrupted by the Cosmic Cube. Kobik had to split Steve Rogers in to two people to fulfill Red Skull's wish. He teleported the real Steve Rogers to some out of the way place, without his memory, and created a clone version of Steve Rogers that he could indoctrinate in to being a Hydra member". That way, it would help allay all the people who are upset that good, upstanding Steve Rogers is a fascist. That would be lame.

Secret Empire is continuing to be worth reading, I'd say. It's quite dark. You can't help but feel that this is an alternate universe though. It's hard to believe this is meant to be the actual Marvel Universe. The entire time I'm reading an issue, I keep being reminded me of Millar's Old Man Logan. The fact that everything is just going to be reset at the end certainly helps add to this feeling.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#204 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

If they're just messing shit up because they get to hit a reset button after they've trashed their universe, they're not going far enough.

#205 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'm not sure about that, things are getting pretty bad. The American/Hydra military just bombed Las Vegas off the map, because a superhero resistance group was hiding in the city.
-Oscar Wilde

#206 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Pffft.
If they nuke New York, that might be going far enough, depending on context. Las Vegas, who gives a fuck now that Steve Gerber and Elvis are both dead?

#207 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

Secret Empire continues to be awesome. It had a really great reveal at the end of issue #3, of who else has joined Hydra. That makes perfect sense!
-Oscar Wilde

#208 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,271 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

That reveal was pretty cool, and I think Lou would dig it but the rest of the issue was another bag of shoulder-shrugs, got the impression that [ Spoiler : Captain America #2 isn't a physical cap but some manifestation of his psyche struggling against his Hydra persona ].

Really liked the art in #3.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#209 Avaunt

Avaunt

Doesn't actually mean lawful nice.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

See, that is why I said nah right from the get go. Would have had to sully my mind with the image of Cap being everything he never was, the whole time the wankers writers were just waiting to trot out something as asinine as "then he woke up". It is just comics being comics, I know, but I will pass, thanks.
"A novel, according to my taste, does not come into the first class unless it contains some person whom one can thoroughly love, and if a petty woman all the better.
C.Darwin.

#210 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Marvel must be very concerned about the sales on Secret Empire. They must have paid to make this week's issue of Comic Shop News in to one big ad for the cross-over. Usually, CSN only previews upcoming series. I haven't seen them devote an entire issue to a series that is already launched before. It looks really desperate on Marvel's part.
Yes, sales on issue #0 and #1 were very good, but you also have to figure in speculators and the curious, who won't be coming back to buy other issues.

Rocket #2-This series is cute. Al Ewing is such a great writer. This issue sees Rocket Raccoon represented by his lawyer Froggy Felson, who is indeed an alien frog, and his partner Muddock. All of their alien race is totally blind, and Froggy almost suspects that Muddock can actually see what the judge and jury are doing, which makes him such a great public defender. Except when he disappears in the middle of court cases, which is often, almost as if he had a dual identity, but that's ludicrous, because their world's superhero (Sight Guy) was already revealed to be Muddock's previously unknown exact twin brother.

Iceman #1-This book is actually quite good. Marvel doesn't publish a lot of books like this, as it seems to be a quiet series about Bobby Drake's life, rather than an outright superhero book. There is a quick superhero fight, but it's incidental, and feeds in to the wider story of Bobby Drake's personal life.
There are currently two Iceman characters in the Marvel Universe now. Young Bobby Drake, from the original X-Men, and modern-day Bobby Drake. Young Bobby is openly gay, and is going on a date. Meanwhile, older Bobby is single and struggling with relationship issues, and in this issue, he finds out that his father is in the hospital with a heart attack scare. Bobby and his parents have been somewhat estranged for a number of years now, due to their not agreeing with his "lifestyle choice", which in this case refers to him being born a mutant.
I've never heard of the writer, Sina Grace, before, but he did a good job of winning me over for this first issue.
-Oscar Wilde

#211 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

I've abandoned Doctor Strange over the twats at Marvel tying it into this bullshit.
(Okay, everybody else here has already given up on Doctor Strange, and probably for better reasons, but the point still stands.)

#212 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

I kept reading through the Jason Aaron run, which ended (delayed) this week. It had some very definite problems though, and didn't exactly end up being what I'd want from a Dr. Strange comic (way too goofy). Now, it's tying in to Secret Empire and has a new creative team, so I'm not interested in the book any longer.
-Oscar Wilde

#213 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

^ I agree with that 'way too goofy' sentiment. I dropped it after 4 or 5 issues. Aaron had much of the same problem with Hulk.
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#214 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

I have no problem with "goofy" in a comic about a man who became a master of the mystic arts after having to give up brain surgery because he fucked his hands up in a car crash when he was drunk one night. Sorry.
:tongue:

#215 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Id much rather see something along the lines of Lee and Ditko or Steven Englehart's run on the character, rather than "Dr. Strange has to eat inter-dimensional squid for breakfast!".
Besides, if you're going to say that about the origin of Stephen Strange, than you have to say the same thing about the origin of every superhero character. They're all goofy.
I've always felt that Dr. Strange has one of the strongest origins in all of Marvel Comics. When the competition is "radiation did it!", Strange's origin stands out as pretty neat.
-Oscar Wilde

#216 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

You're forgetting Iron Man's "shrapnel did it!" there...
:wink2:

#217 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

They fought it out over best origin! (Yes, I realize that this is not Dr. Stephen Strange.)

Posted Image
-Oscar Wilde

#218 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

OK, Secret Empire has jumped the shark. I'm probably not going to keep reading it now. Spencer seems to have lost the narrative.
Don't get me wrong, this was a great Ultron story. It just had no place in a dark, dystopian series about a fascist take-over of the world.
Mark Gruenwald wrote an inconsequential and fun little story back in the early-1990s called "The Bloodstone Hunt", which was him riffing on Indiana Jones. Captain America and Baron Zemo raced around the world to try to be the first to find an incalculably powerful object. It worked, although it was far from my favourite thing Gruenwald did on Cap.
However, I really didn't want to see Secret Empire turn in to an homage from this middling early-1990s story.
"Oh, look, Steve Rogers is a Nazi now! But, we have to team up with this guy to fight this greater evil!". Yeah....no.
It seems like Spencer got his points out of the way in the first couple of issues, and has now moved the book in to being about a race for the Cosmic Cube.

I'm wondering if there was quite a bit of editorial interference with Secret Empire? There were so many complaints on the internet about the direction of the book, and calls for a boycott, that I wonder if Marvel didn't step in out of concern for the sales, and told Spencer to dial it back and write a less political story.
The Secret Empire:Uprising one-shot, which was meant to deal with the state of mutants in Hydra's America, seems to have been completely rewritten. It bears zero resemblance to the original solicitation, and seems to show signs of editorial meddling. I think that all those people who were all up-in-arms over a Jewish man, Magneto, siding with Hydra might have convinced Marvel to change the plot. The cover of the one-shot doesn't even match anything to do with the contents of the story now.

The thing is that Marvel (like most corporations in their "politically correct" clueless zeal to never offend anyone) seems to miss that turning this material in to just another superhero story is potentially far more offensive than telling a more realistic story. Just imagine if Orwell decided to show the lighter side of Big Brother.
-Oscar Wilde

#219 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostChristian, on 15 June 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Just imagine if Orwell decided to show the lighter side of Big Brother.
"The first three housemates to stick a bottle up themselves don't get rats in the face!"
:puke:

#220 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

I just want to mention once again that Al Ewing's Ultimates is by far the best book that Marvel is currently publishing, and is pretty high on the list of best new comics, period.
The current issue featured a story starring Ego, The Living Planet. It was very cosmic.
I'd best describe Ultimates as Planetary, if Planetary were solely about the Marvel Universe.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users