Divergence of the Afterbirth (not a Cradle of Filth tribute act)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

Just read the first issue the Extreme Scooby Doo or whatever it's called. Not even Giffen and DeMattias could do much with this, sadly, thought the explanation of the talking dog being a test run for We3a failed military experiment is rather cute.

#22 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

You know what? I read that too. I also read the Jonny Quest is going in to space one...whatever it's called....by Jeff Parker. That one was better than the Scooby Doo one, although not much happened in it. Yeah, I can't say this is something all that interesting to do with the cast of Scooby Doo. Having them be the secret power behind the New 52? Sure, that would have worked better!
It was that Daphne cover, it called to me.
The Flintstones one actually sounds like it may be the best of the lot. I might actually end up buying that one monthly, if it shapes up as good as the description.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#23 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

I quite liked the first issue of the 'new' Batman, or whatever. I took a look at the first few pages and couldn't stop reading. Insert words like high-octane, ride, etc.

I can't really relate to what Batman has become over the last decade or so, but this issue was a textbook example of how to do an action issue with moments of mystery and emotional appeal.

#24 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

I picked up the Wonder Woman Rebirth issue, because it was the last of the DC Rebirth comics left on the stands written by anyone I'd vaguely be interested in reading a comic. I wasn't impressed. Liam Sharpe is on artwork, and that's always great. Rucka's story wasn't interesting and was confusing. For a brand new direction, it felt like I was jumping in to the middle of a long running story. It's not an issue of Rucka not meshing with WW, as his original run was great. Plus, apparently Rucka is writing the new WW series as alternating story-arcs, with a multiple part modern day story taking place in odd issues, while a new origin story takes place in the even issues, which should certainly make an even more unappealing reading experience. There wasn't a lot of content to what was happening in this issue either, which certainly didn't help. I wonder where the premise went wrong. It seems almost as if Rucka was confused as to exactly the remit of what he was writing. How much should appeal to new readers? Hopefully, other relaunches will be more coherent and with a bit more content.
Perhaps the origin story will explain the events of the first issue, but if so, writing a first issue that doesn't make me want to read more isn't a good idea.
-Oscar Wilde

#25 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

Holy hell! I never expected to ever say that the Flintstones was one of the best comic books I've read recently...but, here we are. The previews made the book sound really good, and for once, the hype was delivered.
Somehow....this actually reminds me of a Vertigo title. Like a Vertigo reimagination of a classic concept for a more "mature" generation. Not only that, but it's one of the better "Vertigo" style books I've read in a while.
The story actually made me sad at times. Not a lot comics hit me emotionally anymore, but this one succeeded a few times.
Fred is just a working class guy with a hint of melancholy to him, about the way his life has gone, even though he's happy with his marriage. This is one of the most sympathetic portrayals of a working class individual in a comic book that I can remember in a long time.
If you're looking for a comic book with some nice social commentary, but that isn't preachy, you need to pick up The Flintstones #1. This one is going on my pull list.

I also managed to get a copy of Aquaman #1 by Dan Abnett, and will have my thoughts on that after I read it. I'm guessing it's not going to have the same effect as Flintstones. So crazy to see my words.
-Oscar Wilde

#26 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:08 AM

Aquaman was not interesting. It seems like DC is trying to make Aquaman seem more like Marvel's Namor. Terrorists from Atlantis? No. Wasn't that just the direction that Martian Manhunter took in the Convergence relaunch? It seems like DC was just trying to do these same sorts of things with this character with the last relaunch, during the New 52. Now, DC is trying to do the same things all over again, this recently. There was just nothing that caught my attention enough to make me want to pick up issue #2.
I'd rather read a Sub Mariner comic than see DC try to make their water character even more like the Marvel version.
That's two issues of the DCU Rebirth I've given a chance, and neither one has made up for all the bad feelings that DC has inculcated since the New 52 went straight to Hell.
Yeah, Flintstones remains DC's best book!
-Oscar Wilde

#27 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

I read the Suicide Squad Rebirth issue now. I give Williams credit for actually introducing the concept and story to the reader, supposing that this is a fresh first issue, rather than the start of a story in the middle. I guess there was nothing wrong with the issue. It wasn't Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but I guess nothing was ever going to be that good on this book. I'm not really looking for a new comic series to buy though, and I don't feel there was enough meat in this issue to really make me want to continue picking the book up. Still, this was the strongest of the Rebirth comics I have read.
-Oscar Wilde

#28 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Deathstroke #1-I don't really know anything about this character. I might have read something featuring him during the Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans, but if so, it didn't stick in my mind. I gave the book a chance since Christopher Priest is writing it. It's basically very much the same as Suicide Squad....minus the government involvement (and, obviously, the team dynamic). Deathstroke is a mercenary for hire instead. Otherwise, yeah, I pretty much read this sort of thing in Suicide Squad last week. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Suicide Squad. Nothing wrong with this, it gave you a feel for this character, but that's about it. This is no Black Panther.
-Oscar Wilde

#29 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:17 AM

Flintstones continues to amaze by still managing to be the best book DC is publishing.
The 4th issue impressed me with a funny satire about the origins of marriage. There was even an appearance by Adam and Steve.
-Oscar Wilde

#30 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:31 AM

Cave Carson #1-I'm unsure what I think of this book. I was really enjoying the first part of the story. It was very much in the old Vertigo mould, of taking a happy, shiny Silver Age DC property, and doing the whole post-modern deconstruction bit. I say it works quite well with this character.
However, the end lost me.
I guess I'll give the book one more chance, but I wish it could have sustained the quality and atmosphere of the first part....before it stopped making sense. I don't mean in a psychedelic, Morrison manner....but, it just stopped making sense, period.
-Oscar Wilde

#31 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

Richard Kadrey, author of Metrophage (which ended up being one of my very favourite Cyberpunk novels)*, has been announced as taking over on Lucifer starting in January. An outside-the-box, but interesting, choice.

*Yes, I realize Kadrey is probably much more famous for writing other books now, but that's all I've read by him.
-Oscar Wilde

#32 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

How was the second issue of Cave Carson?

#33 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Can't speak for Christian, but I enjoyed it.

#34 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

After reading the third issue, I can't really say why exactly, but the series just isn't really working for me. It's not bad. I'm still reading it. It just feels like there should be more, something weirder. Maybe now that they've gone to the underground kingdom, maybe I'll start enjoying the book more. I wouldn't really recommend buying it, but I wouldn't say that you shouldn't give it a chance either. I'm just sort of on the middle ground about the book.
I've been enjoying Doom Patrol and Shade more, even though I was most looking forward to Cave Carson when the line was announced. (I have no interest in Mother Panic.)
-Oscar Wilde

#35 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostChristian, on 22 December 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

(I have no interest in Mother Panic.)
You're not missing much, put it that way.

#36 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Flintstones continues to be DC's best book month after month. Did you think there could never be a meaningful Great Gazoo story, dum dum? Well, this book has just proven you wrong. A nice sociological discussion of the human condition.
-Oscar Wilde

#37 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

It has to be better than Mother Panic.
Maybe we need a young animals thread? I'm still enjoying Cave Carson, but I'm fast cooling on everything else, and even Doom Patrol is looking a bit "bleah" at this point.

#38 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Outside of Mother Panic, Young Animals is pretty good, but yeah, I'm just not feeling very excited for any of the books in the line.
Flintstones is better than the Young Animals books too.
It's better than any of the current crop of Vertigo titles, as well. Not that there's a lot of competition from that direction anymore. Lucifer is fine, but living in Carey's shadow. Red Thorn was the only other Vertigo book I've been interested in for a few years, and that just ended. It was readable, but never as good as it could have been....unlike Flintstones, which should not work, but has exceeded my every expectation. It's closer to being what Vertigo used to be about than pretty much any Vertigo title in years, outside of The Last Gang in Town.

Doom Patrol feels like it's trying too hard to be like Morrison's run, without the originality of Morrison's run.
Cave Carson, like I said, just isn't working for me, as of yet. It seems like it should be a lot more out there, or maybe more like Morrison's Animal Man. One or the other. Instead, it doesn't seem like it wants to go far enough in either direction, and is just sort of bland.
I've actually been enjoying Shade the most out of the imprint, which surprised me, as it was the one I was least interested in (out of the three I planned to check out, Mother Panic was never on my list). It has its problems too. It seems to be the most sure of the story it is telling, out of the three books. It's not just re-doing Milligan's Shade (setting it apart from Doom Patrol), and seems to have a clear direction (setting it apart from Cave Carson).

Oh, I think there was once a Young Animals thread....but, it's not as if the DC thread gets much attention, other than my occasional plugs for the Flintstones anyway.
-Oscar Wilde

#39 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,347 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

Well, the Flintstones manages to do it for another month! An appearance by Thorstein Veblen (or Thorstone Pebblen) makes this book hard to top. That's a person I'm sure no one expected to see show up in a comic book...especially a Flintstones comic. This book is such a gem.
-Oscar Wilde

#40 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

I just partially enjoyed the latest issue of Wonder Woman, because I liked the cover, I looked inside and noticed she is in a psychiatric hospital.
It's got way too much ongoing conspiracy team thing going on.
That's the state of comics for me.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users