Divergence of the Afterbirth (not a Cradle of Filth tribute act)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

Well, now that the first trades are coming out, I might as well chime in to give my 2c on some of the non-HB Rebirth books that I checked out between now and then:

For all the hype behind his return to WW, I really haven't connected with Rucka's stuff here. The alternating stories thing hasn't really worked out, did we really need a full arc devoted to her new origin story instead of just integrating it with the other arc? Honestly, the whole new origin kinda felt like an excuse to say - Hey kids, Nicola Scott is doing WW art! Lately, this book is giving me the "Wonder Woman is a side character in her own book" vibe that Azzarello was criticized for, what with her locked up in a mental asylum while the side-cast goes does stuff. For the record though, I found Azzarello's side-cast of reinvented Gods more interesting than this Steve Generic Military Guy Trevor Rucka seems to really like writing. The art is pretty though, I must admit.

The Flash - Joshua Williamson's Flash didn't give a good first impression. I liked the voice he gave to the Barry Allen Flash but his overall story was pretty clumsy. A kind of silly premise "wow what if a bunch of people got speed powers and Flash had to train them" that went nowhere. A pretty obvious mystery [ Spoiler : Who could this evil new villain be? Surely it couldn't be this character who has a past with Flash we just introduced? ] that was already lame when they did it in Batman: Hush. If these book wasn't one of the biweeklies, the decompression of his first arc would've been hell over eight months. Not a fan of Carmine Giandomenico's art (he's supposedly the main artist but this book gets fill-in artists so often I kinda question it) - he does a decent job displaying speed which is good in a Flash book but I just never was a fan of how he draws people.

Batman - I haven't found Tom King's take on DC's greatest cash-cow isn't as good as his earlier work for the Big 2. I suppose that I place a greater scrutiny upon Batman than Vision or the Omega Men. Some of his dialogue could do with a bit more polish, and for some reason, he likes to have Batman and Catwoman refer to each other as "Bat" and "Cat" which does feel silly. Still, I've enjoyed what King's done in his stories for the most part and I appreciate the smaller scale of his stories in comparison to the over-the-top Gotham-destroying blockbusters that made up Snyder's run. Art for this one's pretty good, even David Finch's contributions.

Overall, though I do enjoy several of the books, for all the hype Rebirth hasn't put out anything that I would call amazing just yet.

#42 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

DC Vs. Looney Tunes is coming http://www.dccomics....-tunes-specials

Batman vs. Elmer Fudd
Lobo & Coyote vs. Road-Runner
Martian Manhunter vs. Marvin the Martian
Plus Jonah Hex, Yosemite Sam, and Foghorn Leghorn!

No creative teams announced yet, though I'm almost certain that the Hex one will be handled by Palmiotti and Gray.

I guess Constantine seducing Sheepdog or vice versa by Azzarello will be in the second wave.

#43 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Will it be as good as the DC vs Hanna Barbera annuals, though?
Posted Image

#44 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Savage Things (Vertigo) was, indeed, a good read. It reminded me of an episode of the X-Files. The downside, however, is that it had very little content. Not very much seemed to happen in the story. It seemed to be over far too quickly, with not a lot to leave an impression. It was like the idea was briefly introduced, and then it went in fast-forward, with just some generic action scenes. I am sort of intrigued to pick up the next issue to see where this is going, but I also worry that it's all going to be leaving me feeling disappointed in the lack of substance in each issue. This is probably a book better served by a Trade.
The premise is that the CIA created a secret program to train child sociopaths in to homicidal terrorists working for the government. The CIA could then insert their teams in to other nations where the American government had an interest in shaking up the stability of said nation. Now, the kids from the program are grown up and they seem to want revenge on their keepers, but based on the ending of the first issue, it seems that the CIA still has a use for these charges.

I also noticed in the back-matter that Anne Nocenti's Kid Eternity is being collected. That would be worth getting for people who want to experience the old Vertigo, and haven't picked up those issues yet.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#45 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostChristian, on 02 March 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

I also noticed in the back-matter that Anne Nocenti's Kid Eternity is being collected. That would be worth getting for people who want to experience the old Vertigo, and haven't picked up those issues yet.
Both of them?
:tongue:

#46 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

You mean it would only take two Trades to collect all of Nocenti's run?
-Oscar Wilde

#47 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:09 AM

Seems that way. Amazon says that trade collects the first nine issues, which would be about 1/2 of that run looking up the issue numbers. Though I don't see a second trade up for pre-order on Amazon, so I'm guessing DC is looking at how the first trade does first.

#48 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

View PostChristian, on 07 March 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

You mean it would only take two Trades to collect all of Nocenti's run?
I meant that there's probably only a couple of people left who were into the early 90s Vertigo who haven't investigated that one by now, Christian.
:tongue:

#49 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Oh, whoops! I wasn't sure that Nocenti's Kid Eternity was all that popular. I found most of the back-issues in the 25 cent box when I decided to read the series though.
-Oscar Wilde

#50 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

That's why I was thinking anybody who was interested will have had a look by now. They've had a quarter of a century, and the comics aren't exactly pricey or hard to find...

#51 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

View Postdogpoet, on 08 March 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

a quarter of a century

:ohmy:

#52 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Maybe not quite, but it can't be far off now. Kid Eternity was one of Vertigo's launch titles, was it not?

#53 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Yeah. It started in 1993. Vertigo launched when I was a senior in high school. Hard to believe....we've all gotten old.
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users