#23 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

my favourites (apart from the aforementioned Perry Bible Fellowship):

Copper, very irregular updates, but very very high quality stuff.

Diesel Sweeties

Overcompensating (from the creator of Wigu)

Flintlocke (one crazy dwarf in World of Warcraft)
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#24 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

Here are a few new ones:

Violence + T&A:
Marilith

Layla Lawler comics:
All of her Kismet comics
Kismet: Hunter's Moon (sf adventure)
Free Bird (a tale of quirky folk in modern Alaska, just starting up)

Fantasy:
Flux (a girl and her sword)

Science fantasy humor story by a tripped-out English guy:
Poisoned Minds

Political:
Day by Day (conservative, witty)

#25 Apocsol

Apocsol

Wielder of the power of dustbins...with reckless abandon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

http://www.vanvonhunter.com/vvh1.html
Hilarious, and containing a story.

www.leasticoulddo.com
If I describe it I'll put you off.  Just go.  Go now.

www.vgcats.com
Cat people-Stop running-laughing at computer games.  Trust me!
Apocsol-warning:  May cause irriation after prolonged exposure.  If problem develops, buy shotgun.

Never value common sense above dreams.

"Why the hell do you have a bomb?"
"There's a very good reason for that."
"....which is?"
"I don't know, but whatever it is, it's a very good reason."

#26 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Mar 11 2006, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell me, what is it that you like about DTWOF? Do you know many lesbians in your non-virtual life? Do you have any characters that you particularly like or identify with, and how long have you been reading it?

DTWOF is well written and well drawn, visually charming, erudite, down-to-earth and often moving. That it's predominantly lesbian oriented is completely incidental. The only thing I don't like about it is that a few of the characters are very similar in appearance, so I occasionally have trouble following strips; that might be why I don't particularly identify with any of the characters. I've been reading sporadically since about 1997, I think I recall reading in a work lunch break and getting upset by the dog-dying storyline. Back then it was only available online on comicazee.com. And I don't know any more lesbians than average, I guess icon_confused.gif... it was a lesbian friend who suggested I might like DTWOF, but we've dropped out of contact.

I don't think I replied to this until now, but I completely agree with your praise of DTWOF.  There's so much to say about it, though I think you and I might be the only people interested in reading it, which is a shame, because it really is a good strip, that just about anyone could get some enjoyment out of.

What do you think of the most recent pages?  On her website Bechdel says she's sorry that she could not keep up with the news enough to wind news-based political analogies into the writing, but I think the lack of them adds to the impact of her latest, though it's not without a political reference:
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/d2wo4/epis490.html

Raffi is one of my favorite characters, though I'm not entirely sure why.  Mo is the one I most identify with (the woman in the striped shirt, of those of you new to DTWOF).  She is also the person in the strip who is to my mind most like Christian.

I just think DTWOF is very well-written.  It's just funny that one can get something this good free (though infrequently), while one can feel lucky to find  good writing in the  books that one pays for.

#27 jaynova

jaynova

Sleep like dead men/Wake up like dead men

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

I guess this is a good place to put this...I am reviewing Ted Rall's Attitude 3: The New Subversive Online Cartoonists for The Ohioana Quarterly.  It features the people behind "A Lesson is Learned", "I Drew This" , and "Partially Clips", among many others.  Good stuff.
"For being so low on the evolutionary ladder, as you homo-sapiens are, the fleshy one known as Jay is smarter than most."
--Christian, speaking truth

To Eleven

#28 coralys

coralys

Let's take a ride and run with the dogs tonight in suburbia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:48 AM

The New Adventures of Queen Victoria.

#29 Xan

Xan

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

A few from me:

Sorcery 101- Supernatural alternate-reality with plot AND funny. And the main character is a chain-smoking British fuck-up.

Fallen Angels Used Books- A pretty serious urban fantasy with a touch of the surreal (think Charles DeLint with a bit less whimsy). Awesome art, sometimes a little hard to follow, but quite good.

Ozy and Millie- Probably my favorite webcomic of all time. Cute 12-year-old animals somehow manage to make me snicker more than anyone else with great social commentary and randomness that hits just right.

#30 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:36 PM

Xan, thanks for those.  I've been reading FAUB for a while, but the others are new to me.  At least one of them is going to be one of my regular web comics, I think.

Hmmm, nobody better show this one to Mark:  http://www.ozyandmillie.net/2006/om20060710.html

#31 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

Heh. It's like I keep saying...if only they'd listen to him properly...  icon_wink.gif

Seeing this thread reminds me that I promised to e-mail you a load of Doonesbury strips, which I've quite forgotten to actually do. I'll get on that right now.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#32 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:13 PM

I'd say it's all taken care of in both directions.   icon_cool.gif

#33 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Jul 7 2006, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think I replied to this until now...

Well, don't feel too bad, because I haven't been checking the thread anyway, and only just found your reply. icon_smile.gif

I'd like to see more of Raffi. The character can be annoying, but not unrealistically; and I'd like to see more of how he deals with his family situation when he's outside of the home, like that panel in 488 when someone at school calls him "lesbo-boy".

I just think DTWOF is very well-written.  It's just funny that one can get something this good free (though infrequently), while one can feel lucky to find  good writing in the  books that one pays for.

Absolutely. It's quality stuff, which doesn't have to be given away on the web.

This might be a good place to link this one-pager by Neil Gaiman and Bryan Talbot, with thanks to bryan-talbot.com for the tipoff.

#34 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Aug 23 2006, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think I replied to this until now...

Well, don't feel too bad, because I haven't been checking the thread anyway, and only just found your reply. icon_smile.gif

I'd like to see more of Raffi. The character can be annoying, but not unrealistically; and I'd like to see more of how he deals with his family situation when he's outside of the home, like that panel in 488 when someone at school calls him "lesbo-boy".

We have seen how he reacts inside the home, which I thought was good writing.  With "Die, Nazi mother!" as a bonus.   biggrin.gif

Anyway, yeah, I'm very much interested in what happens with him, and with Clarice and Toni.

I've grown to like the Raffi character a lot.  I'm not sure if the peak at his tastes in the most recent issue is something that will go anywhere, and I haven't seen anything else in the strip like that before, but you never know.  icon_cool.gif  

Absolutely. It's quality stuff, which doesn't have to be given away on the web.

It may be a good strategy for selling her TPBs.  It can be distracting getting the strips once very two weeks to a month or more.  The TPBs may be the best way to read her strips.

This might be a good place to link this one-pager by Neil Gaiman and Bryan Talbot, with thanks to bryan-talbot.com for the tipoff.

Ulp, gotta run, I'll check this out when I get back!

#35 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 28 2006, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've grown to like the Raffi character a lot.  I'm not sure if the peak at his tastes in the most recent issue is something that will go anywhere, and I haven't seen anything else in the strip like that before, but you never know.  icon_cool.gif

I hope and trust it won't go anywhere. icon_smile.gif I assumed Bechdel just stuck something on the screen that she thought was funny, rather than trying to represent Raffi's tastes... but who's to say? If that's what he's into, it raises some interesting psychological questions.

It may be a good strategy for selling her TPBs.  It can be distracting getting the strips once very two weeks to a month or more.  The TPBs may be the best way to read her strips.

Certainly. And they deserve to be collected and paid for, anyway.

It occurred to me once that Vertigo could publish the whole lot, from the beginning, in instalments of 22 pages worth of strips each month. But much of the commentary in the older strips has dated now.

#36 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Aug 28 2006, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope and trust it won't go anywhere. icon_smile.gif I assumed Bechdel just stuck something on the screen that she thought was funny, rather than trying to represent Raffi's tastes... but who's to say? If that's what he's into, it raises some interesting psychological questions.

Yes, especially in relation to his mothers.   icon_cool.gif

Certainly. And they deserve to be collected and paid for, anyway.

It occurred to me once that Vertigo could publish the whole lot, from the beginning, in instalments of 22 pages worth of strips each month. But much of the commentary in the older strips has dated now.

I don't think it would be Vertigo's line, because V prefers fake lesbians intended to tittilate straight male fanboys.  But if it did do that, it'd get Bechdel's work out to a new audience.

I may be unusual in this regard, but I like reading fiction with old references to political thinking and events.  If it's a period I haven't lived through, I can learn something from it, and if I was around during that time, it's a trip down memory lane.

#37 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

Well this DTWOF is just brutal   cool.gif   :
http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/dtwof-episode-497

#38 Mickey Eye

Mickey Eye

Bulletproof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

This thread lacks www.gunnerkrigg.com which is my standard response to the webcomics question. The only former keenspot one I keep up with these days is Schlockmercenary.com but it's been a bit hit and miss recently.

Other than that, nothing-better.com is pretty good but the update schedule has just changed from three times a week to once so while the pacing is still good it feels like it ground to a halt.

Comics you've mentioned which are infact shit, include Alpha Shade. I read this from when they started, seriously 3 months to get to any action is not how to pace a webcomic. Also if their comments are still up on drunkduck.com peruse those to find out how not to respond to constructive critiscm. Or if you just want a laugh.

#39 Mickey Eye

Mickey Eye

Bulletproof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

I don't understand, what traffic where?

drunkduck.com is where Alpha Shade was originally hosted, it featured a reader comment section which encouraged criticsm. They didn't like it very much and it was pretty amusing was all I was saying.

I'm glad you enjoy the comic, and don't give a shit about wether or not other people like it. If you for some reason took it as a personal attack I am sorry and if it makes you feel any better I like nearly every other comic you mentioned. (Not that you give a shit ofcourse)

#40 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

I'm sorry. My comment that had been previous to this one was pretty lame, and I got rid of just now, and then saw your reply.

I"m surprised you liked so many of the strips I posted.  Some of the strips I follow have big flaws for sure.   To be honest I have trouble following or even understanding some of them, but something about them makes them enjoyable for me to read (often the artwork).  I'd include AlphaShade in that general category....

I haven't liked some of the strips others have posted, but I look at every link in case I'll find a new one I will like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users