344 replies to this topic

#41 Mickey Eye

Mickey Eye

Bulletproof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Heh well I did say "nearly". I have yet to come across the perfect webcomic, though I've read many that are on a par with published authors.

I don't know if it's still around but Sacred Pie used to be one of my favourite flawed comics. The flaw being the writer had abosultly no idea where he was going with it. It was still fun though. Another was 64 Demons. The premise being the main character had to hunt down 64 demons... pretty simple except that by a year and a half we still haden't seen 1 demon, the same writer then went on to do Dominion which had astonishing art, a professional doing colours and.... no plot.'

But seriously, check out Gunnerkrigg and Nothing Better. Very much at the high end of the talent pool.

If you want the exact oposite of Alphashade talent wise then try Mindmistress, the art was terrible but the writing was quite compelling.

#42 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:13 AM

I find I'm liking Gunnerkrigg Court and Nothing Better, so thank you for posting them.  I'll check out the other strips as time allows.

About AlphaShade, I best liked the earlier strips, especially the war stuff, that I thought was very well done, to where I think the creators actually have some idea how small military units actions work.  Since then it seems to have lost focus, or perhaps there are two or three separate stories that the creators have glommed together and the strip passes seamlessly back and forth between them without any explanation.  Whatever its other flaws, it'd be a stronger comic if it could pick one and stay with that.

#43 Mickey Eye

Mickey Eye

Bulletproof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Adding Minus to my must read list.

It's done by a guy I have been following for a while but had lost track of, he is pretty weird but Minus is very endearing.

#44 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:22 AM

It looks like a good webcomic.  I particularly like the watercolorish artwork.

#45 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

Dinosaur Comics Uber Alles.

#46 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

Daniel Merlin Goodbrey am good

http://e-merl.com/brain.php?date=2006-06-27
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#47 Mickey Eye

Mickey Eye

Bulletproof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

If you liked Gunnerkrigg Court there is a fairly good interview with the writer up at Comixpedia.com

In other news I signed up for drunkducks cheaper version of the Webcomic Secret Santa and have to do a guest strip for the shittest psuedo manga that only has 7 pages and no main characters yet. Next year I'm going to make them have limits on who can ask for guest art. Yes I don't actually run a comic right now but atleast all I asked for was some forum avatars.

#48 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

A bit of yuletide cheer.

#49 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

And here's another lesbian comic, Grace, that I've recently come to like:
http://www.girlthrow.com/grace/current.htm

#50 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

The last broke-in-three panel in this Achewood strip rocks hard.

Can't quite figure out why but it's damn near perfect.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#51 Guest_spiderlegs_*

Guest_spiderlegs_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

Flem Comics

BMF

Single Panels

all by a friend of mine. If you dig pretty deep, they get really funny.

#52 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9409

Of particular interest for those of you who know who Adi is and are of the mistaken impression that his V-Hive role is himself.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#53 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

I'm more interested to learn that "TANTIMEDH" is his actual name and not a typo or acronym.

Can't wait for the issue where everything stops for a five-page complaint about crap London transport and the shittiness of UK TV writers. And then the same thing happens again the following issue in exactly the same way.

#54 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:49 PM

I've newly discovered this one, which I follow every day now:
http://www.misfile.com/?page=1

#55 Josh

Josh

Golden Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:10 AM

This one's interesting, at very least for the slick interactiveness of it.  The story may be good too (I've just started on it):
http://comics.cyberneticevilstudios.com/

#56 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

My favourite webcomic of late is xkcd. There's no internal continuity - it's all just one-off 'gag' strips, but it's worth going back to read the older ones just because some of them are so hilariously funny. Many of the very early strips are just scanned-in notebook doodles, but it doesn't take long before you get to the good stuff.

The art is - well, "primitive" is such a small word, and stick-figures are very much the order of the day - but the jokes are frequently absolutely inspired. You'll need a basic grounding in science to really get some of the humour, but even if the IT-nerd/chemistry jokes pass you by, there's still plenty to enjoy.

In a less humour-based vein, I'm rather fond of Planet Karen, by Karen Ellis. It's pretty basic autobiographical stuff, of a type which I don't usually find especially interesting, but there's an honesty and lack of pretence about the strip which keeps bringing me back. I have to admit, though, that I've enjoyed it less since the art became a little more polished - as she's continued, she's settled into a style which, while doubtless more accomplished, doesn't actually appeal to me as much as the charmingly-amateurish scribbling of the earlier strips did. But that might just be me.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#57 sethos

sethos

Savior of hedgehogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Daniel Clowes does webcomics... sort of.

You might have to skip an ad to get there, but since it's the first new Clowes story since "The Death Ray" (aka Eightball #23), it's worth it. be warned though: PDF format. bleh.
Pigfaced wizards must die.

#58 Vagabond

Vagabond

Elstein Presley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

I saw the XKCD writer speak a while back. He's exactly as nerdy as you'd think.

#59 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

http://dresdencodak.com/
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

#60 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

BOOKMARKED
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users