866 replies to this topic

#21 wolvy

wolvy

Sometimes... you just gotta do IT.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Dec 31 2004, 08:54 PM)
Yeah, spoiler thread this, never venture in unless you've read the latest issue.

Told you it was a suicide pact!

Yet A-FUCKING-GAIN Kirkman delivers an incredible final page - though I think he's faking us out here and the girl isn't dead - don't reckon she's been zombified, goes against the established rules.

The whole issue just clicked for me - mainly cause Kirkman didn't leave that young Asian dude off in the boondocks, dug him since his first appearance and was disappointed to see him leave the main cast last month.  The scenes between...um...bugger...I'm shit at names - the lead and the mad farmer chap - were brill, got a real sense of genuine emotion from them.

It baffles me that the guy who wrote this and Invincible also wrote the shithouse 2099 minis for Marvel.

I dont remember the girl getting attacked or bit by Zombies once.. So either she was knocked out, or something thought her trying to attack her dad in a Zombie like fashion, Didnt really make me think that she wasnt a zombie. The story is going good. I am really awaiting #15 to see how or what happened. Perhaps she was bitten when no one was around to hear her scream. Though I dont recall her Hiding any wounds or anything.. So who knows..
One Step ahead of the curve.

#22 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:46 AM

Err...haven't read the issue yet, but I read your post before I noticed the 'spoiler' warning. Ho hum...ah, well, I should be able to get this on Monday, if Outland in Oslo has it in stock.

Good call on the suicide pact, then. Well done that moderator.

James - Do it. Go on, do it. The trades are piss-cheap, too, and you'll have no trouble finding #13. One of the best books I've discovered this year, and I'd recommend it to anyone.*

*Except my girlfriend, apparently. She's not at all into her zombies, damn her eyes.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#23 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:30 AM

Fuck it, I'll pick it up today if they have it in. I got enough cash from my relatives at Christmas.

#24 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:46 PM

Picked up the first trade. It's astounding, though much of that rests on Moore's art. Much as I like Charlie Adlard, I'm not sure he'll live up to his predecessor.

Still, it's replaced The Losers on my pull list, and I'll pick up the second trade next week.

#25 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (James @ Jan 3 2005, 09:46 PM)
Picked up the first trade. It's astounding, though much of that rests on Moore's art. Much as I like Charlie Adlard, I'm not sure he'll live up to his predecessor.

Adlard grew on me pretty quickly, but I must admit to still preferring Moore. He's still doing the covers, though, which is another good thing about picking the book up monthly...they ain't reproduced in the trades.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."

#26 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

Yup...another one who's just bought the first trade over 'ere!!!

Fucking great stuff!

Anyone know how many issues it's likely to run for? (assuming there's an answer out there of course).

Roll on Vol. 2  cool.gif

#27 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

As you might have guessed from the quality of the writing, Kirkman really does love the Walking Dead and has spoken about writing it for as long as possible in the letter cols - he wants to do at least a 100 issues.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#28 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:31 PM

Stop, you're giving me the tingles!

100 issues of gorgeous Zombie story telling?

Nice one  icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks John!

#29 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (wolvy @ Jan 2 2005, 12:56 AM)
I dont remember the girl getting attacked or bit by Zombies once.. So either she was knocked out, or something thought her trying to attack her dad in a Zombie like fashion, Didnt really make me think that she wasnt a zombie. The story is going good. I am really awaiting #15 to see how or what happened. Perhaps she was bitten when no one was around to hear her scream. Though I dont recall her Hiding any wounds or anything.. So who knows..

Managed to miss this post altogether - sorry man.

I reckon this is a slightly disappointing cliffhanger as it makes perfect sense to me for your one to lunge forward when she realises that she isn't dead.

#30 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

Well I know she wasnt trying to give him a hug. She was aiming to bite his neck, and making the sounds most of the zombies make when they see or try to attack a person.

It is a rather disapointing cliff hanger. Like I said No where in the book, was the girl biten or killed by zombies. But then again Who knows. If you go to Images website and look at Kirkmans forum. It will show a picture for the cover of #19 which shows a girl with two chained zombies(They are missing their lower jaws and their arms) and she also has a Katana blade with her. She looks similiar to the girl who died.. So maybe Kirkman is going to make her like that Pink Haired girl from "Return of the living Dead" how she is a zombie, but doesnt act like them or something. I'm just pulling these guesses out of my ass. So I could be dead wrong.

Another thing is Kirkman said a good jumping off point would #79 or #80. Thats when UFO's,aliens  and anal probing gets involved in the story.

#31 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

I was discounting it as disappointing as I'd rationalised it away in my mind - I could well be wrong though.

The obvious suggestion was that the rules, as we know them, were wrong - she's the first main character to die on-screen, from non zombie inflicted wounds - so maybe all that we know is arse ?!?

My gut tells me that she was badly hurt by the gun shot but then suddenly regained conciousness while her father leant over her - causing her to suddenly lunge forward.

#32 wolvy

wolvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 03:38 AM

That could be.. But usually people dont lunge at the person holding them when they get wounded pretty badly. I woulda expected her to say "Dad...Is..that.You?" Kinda like how when John when to get Chas in Hellblazer.. Chas didnt lunge at him.. Though he did say he was gonna kill John is it was his fault..lol

#33 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

Well, in the letter pages, he confirms that Julie is indeed dead.

I just got finished reading issue 14. Man! What a great series. I just picked it up now---1-9 last night, 10-14 this morning. And last weekend was a big catchup on 30 Days of Night. I read all of the 30 Days minis and the first 3 issues of the ongoing. Maybe someone should start a 30 Days thread?
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#34 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:52 PM

Fucking hell. I'm so in love with this series. Roll on issue 19!!!!!

Zombie tamer (Yum!)

#35 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:09 PM

Are we officially discussing future issue spoilers here? Because if we are, I'd better make my way out. I don't want to know anything that's going to happen, even if it is up on Previews or a website or somesuch.
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#36 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:41 PM

Nothing beyond cover scans I think, Kirkman is very careful with his Image solicitations and they're normally terribly vague but better safe and all that.

With that said - what a fucking aces cover!

#37 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:58 PM

That kicks all sorts of arse.

Add my voice to the 'no upcoming spoilers' cry. Discussing issues once they've been released is OK, but I'd rather not find out what's going to happen before I've at least had the chance to pick up the issue.

#14 was aces, incidentally. Again.

#38 King Mob

King Mob

Trenchcoat Brigade

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

EEEP!

Sorry if I gave anyone spoiler willies!

Been looking at Tony Moore's covers over on his website and fell in love with that one immediately (they all seem pretty vague. Bit of zombie here. Some fella's hand there). Don't think it gives too much away, other than there being a new character to look forward to in the next few months.

Incidentally, I'm only up to issue six myself, so another hand up here for keeping major spoilers on the hush hush.

#39 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:26 PM

I'll pick up the second volume next Friday, on my quest for shoes.

I hate buying shoes.

#40 Rogan

Rogan

Queer Eye For The Cam Whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,483 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:30 PM

do they have any that fit you, or do you just buy canoes? icon_wink.gif
Rule #1 to posting on this forum - don't take anything Rogan says personally, or seriously for that matter!
- John McMahon, Forum High Priest and "The Green Mountain Boy"

Anyway, this is a wonderful series, and I'm eternally in Rogan's debt for bringing it to my attention.
- Mike Carey, on La Bete Noire

"Yes I admit it I did occasionally think you came close to being humorous a few times."
- Electricinca, in conversation with Rogan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users