JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (A. Heathen @ Sep 6 2008, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is ace

Better written but let's say The Boys meets Walking Dead with Simon Bisley art (and I have to say the finest Glenn Fabry cover I have seen in a while)

Desperately sorry, Ade, but I just tracked down the first 2 issues, and I thought it was shite. I'm not even gonna bother with the third. It read like Alan phoned it in from a list of zombie movie clichés, and Simon Bisley's art did nothing to help. Considering the anticipation I felt for more comicbook writing from Alan, this was quite a disappointment.

Garth Ennis' Crossed, which covers very old ground, does a better job.

You're on the money about the covers, though.

#2 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Final Crisis: Secret Files sold out everywhere around here....

There's an ad in this week's DC comics for the Batman: RIP hardcover.
There's a review, which states, "As good as superhero comics get".
Is that meant to be a condemnation of superhero comics?

War Machine #1-What the hell is this?
I'm not sure whether I should be appalled or scared.
If you're someone who thinks that geopolitical problems can be solved by massive amounts of firepower and large death tolls, and that the armies of the world are neutered wimps....then, what the hell is wrong with you? But, also, this is a good book for you.
The politics are pretty well straight from the Iron Man movie. It even reuses the scene where Iron Man can target a group of terrorists amid a sea of civilians and only kill the terrorists. So, yeah, none of those massive amount of civilian death tolls.
But, there's also a plot point at the end that talks about the UN and NATO supporting military contractors who are arming a monarchy against revolutionary forces.
Greg Pak thought of something for the fascists, the Liberals, and the Left, how sweet of him to bring all camps together.
What's the deal with the Sentinel? A Sentinel retrofitted so it can pick out only those citizens who are not a member of the dictators tribe? How would a Sentinel do that exactly, since Sentinels work based on genetics?
And, since when did James Rhodes get his arms and legs blown off and have to be rebuilt as a cyborg by Tony Stark?
There's even dialogue like "The world needs a War Machine!".

Wolverine:Old Man Logan, part 5-I still don't know what to think of this story. At times Millar is witty, at other times he's wholly competent, at other times he doesn't seem to know what type of story he's writing. So, yeah, he's all over the place.
Wolverine explains his reasons for becoming a pacifist (and does so in the same way every beginner college student sets up explanatory dialogue....), but the reasons are believable and compelling.
There's also a really fun scene detailing what became of Henry Pym's Ant Man technology. That was good.
But, then again, there's dinosaurs roaming across the United States, and the super-villains all teaming up to conquer the planet just isn't believable based in the Marvel Universe, and Millar is trying to force these pieces together, and it's just not totally cohering, as much as he tries to trick you into thinking it does, and as much as he wants to believe he's writing something brilliant.

Magneto: Testament #4-That was a disturbing read. Magneto's childhood experience in Auschwitz. This isn't the sanitized "you know something bad happened, but Magneto escapes" origin shown in the all-ages titles. This is a fiction account of historical accounts of life in a Nazi concentration camp.
Magneto:Testament is certainly not an easy read. Very much like reading Elie Wiesel's Night.
My only complaint is that this is the origin of Magneto, told as historical fiction, and the next issue is going to be jarring, as it will feature fantastical elements, and this series has been totally lacking in any escapism. I think Greg Pak wrote himself into a corner by trying to merge historical fiction of the Holocaust with the Marvel Universe. Yes, the Holocaust is part of Marvel continuity, but we haven't seen Magneto as a child being chosen to work the crematoriums before either.

Batman #684-The second part of a two-parter by Denny O'Neil. It's always nice to see O'Neil writing a comic again, but this is completely missable. It's a Nightwing solo story, that sort of serves as an epilogue to Batman:RIP. This reminds me far too much of those filler issues in the Bat-books after Knightfall.

Incredible Hercules-"The male supremacist Y-Men"....snicker.

I also picked up a Dr. Who comic written by Alan Moore that I found in the back-issue boxes.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#3 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Jan 2 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Desperately sorry, Ade, ...

You don't have to apologise for your opinions.
Rather you should be angry with me for steering you down the wrong road ;)

Perhaps there are so many "New" zombie stories out there that as a straightforward pastiche this works very well for me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#4 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (A. Heathen @ Jan 3 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps there are so many "New" zombie stories out there that as a straightforward pastiche this works very well for me.

Fair point... although when we're talking about the zombie genre, where does pastiche begin?

The humorous bit with Jonathan Ross in The Dead might be good or might not, but without knowing who the band is meant to send up or how ironically Alan used the word "Poofs", I can't tell if it was audacious or puerile.

#5 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:11 AM

Battlefields: The Night Witches #1 & 2: this is a new war comic from Garth Ennis, and it's damn fine stuff. It's restrained, compelling, expertly written, and beautifully drawn. (The artist Russ Braun appears to be channelling Steve Dillon, with none of Steve's weaknesses.) I'd have to say this is one of the best books out there at the moment; can't wait for the third issue, which completes the arc.

#6 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (JasonT @ Jan 3 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The humorous bit with Jonathan Ross in The Dead might be good or might not, but without knowing who the band is meant to send up or how ironically Alan used the word "Poofs", I can't tell if it was audacious or puerile.

Don't think the band is that important but Jonathan Ross's TV show has a band called "4 Poofs and a Piano" they are in fact four poofs who sing around a piano. It was throwaway parody, neither audacious nor puerile except inasmuch as Jonathan Ross is puerile.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#7 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Incognito - This is what Brubaker and Phillips took a break from Criminal to do. And it's well worth it. It's a great story about a former super-villian attempting to reform while on probation/witness protection. Brubaker writes the character wonderfully as he deals with working as a file clerk living a mundane life, dreaming for the days of costumes and powers. Of course Phillips' art is amazing as usual.
Perfection.

We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#8 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (A. Heathen @ Jan 6 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't think the band is that important but Jonathan Ross's TV show has a band called "4 Poofs and a Piano" they are in fact four poofs who sing around a piano. It was throwaway parody, neither audacious nor puerile except inasmuch as Jonathan Ross is puerile.

Thanks for the tipoff. Maybe the series deserves a re-read.

#9 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

I still found it fun on re-read. I'll check it for similar references soon and let you know ;)

#10 TestosteRohne

TestosteRohne

An Inconvenient Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Adored the finally released Wintermen special.
Problem being that I can barely remember the tentatively released issues leading up to this.

The superb dense J P Leon artwork somehow reminds me of David Mazzuchelli, well much less dynamic but still treat.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

#11 rakshadefrommeta

rakshadefrommeta

Bulletproof optimist.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (TestosteRohne @ Jan 5 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem being that I can barely remember the tentatively released issues leading up to this.

Glad to see someone was still keeping up with that book.It's shame the way it all played out,first Vertigo,then Wildstorm,first 8 issues then 5,then later this special finally(after 3 years) came out.I'm hoping a nice collected edition will come out and even all that out a bit.I don't have the Special yet(or the last issue of the mini)but it sounds like it might be worth tracking down.I really love JP Leon as well.
American culture is an endless source of amusement.I wanna make one bracelets with What Would Crom Do on it.-Spain.Oct 1,2008.

Brood or smite,depending on whether it's before or after lunch.-Mickey Eye.(four minutes later)

#12 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,749 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Shawn @ Jan 5 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Incognito - This is what Brubaker and Phillips took a break from Criminal to do. And it's well worth it. It's a great story about a former super-villian attempting to reform while on probation/witness protection. Brubaker writes the character wonderfully as he deals with working as a file clerk living a mundane life, dreaming for the days of costumes and powers. Of course Phillips' art is amazing as usual.
Perfection.

Seconded - this really was good.

In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#13 Atticus

Atticus

Token Scot Home Again

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (rakshadefrommeta @ Jan 6 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to see someone was still keeping up with that book.It's shame the way it all played out,first Vertigo,then Wildstorm,first 8 issues then 5,then later this special finally(after 3 years) came out.I'm hoping a nice collected edition will come out and even all that out a bit.I don't have the Special yet(or the last issue of the mini)but it sounds like it might be worth tracking down.I really love JP Leon as well.

Aye, I agree. I'll be picking it up on Thursday probably, and then digging the old issues out of their box to refresh my memory. Is it really 3 years since the last issue was out?

Will probably pick up Incognito #1 too - I never managed to read Criminal, but thought Sleeper was excellent. I'm led to believe this has more in common with Sleeper than Criminal.
What's that film that you love?
What film?
The one about the fucking hairdresser, the space hairdresser and the cowboy. The guy, he's got a tin foil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego! They're all made of fucking lego.

#14 TestosteRohne

TestosteRohne

An Inconvenient Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Shit was it really Vertigo first?

#15 TestosteRohne

TestosteRohne

An Inconvenient Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Atticus @ Jan 6 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye, I agree. I'll be picking it up on Thursday probably, and then digging the old issues out of their box to refresh my memory. Is it really 3 years since the last issue was out?

No it was about a year and a half ago from the last one, but probably a year before that.
Anyone have a concise what-the-fuck-was-everyone-involved's-problem on the infrequent issue releases?

#16 JasonT

JasonT

Stressing over cat urine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Lou K @ Jan 7 2009, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Shawn @ Jan 5 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perfection.

Seconded - this really was good.

Thirded.

#17 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,660 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Just gone through this Wormwood: Down The Pub one shot. It's okay, but all three stories are very samey and would probably work better given a lot more length.

#18 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,316 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

Werewolf by Night #1-Well, it was horrific. A lot of blood for the sake of blood. But, I sort of liked the story, until it went in a direction that wasn't as interesting. The first issue is all set-up, and not much happens until the end.
Jack Russell is married with a pregnant wife.
He lies that he has a job that requires him to travel once a month.
I think that was an interesting set-up for the Werewolf by Night concept. By the end of the issue though, all the original bits are gone, and you're left with either a run-of-the-mill werewolf story or an Incredible Hulk story that is R-rated.
So, this'll be my only issue.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#19 Dave

Dave

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Secret Six #5? This was the a "Faces of Evil" crossover or whatever in name only, and that's a good thing. This issue was just as fun as the rest have been, with the spotlight on Bane actually instead of Deadshot as the cover implies. Someone else said it last month, but i cannot believe that i actually like that character. Proves how good a writer Gail Samone is. The identity of the big villian is revealed at the end, and while my guess was in the correct family tree, i'm glad i was wrong as to the identity.

Hellboy Wild Hunt #2 in which we learn the Hogman's backstory plus Big Red fights giants! Also a fairly interesting backstory to Kolchieck the Undead with art by Guy Davis. I think this is the only book collect that still prints a letter column.

Detective Comics Another "Faces of Evil" book this time featuring Hush. If the author had been anyone other than Paul Dini i would have skipped this, but in this case it was a fairly good story on Hush's escape from Gotham following his last battle with Batman and how he tries to rebuild the fortune that Catwoman stole from him.

I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#20 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Christian @ Jan 8 2009, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Werewolf by Night #1-Well, it was horrific. A lot of blood for the sake of blood. But, I sort of liked the story, until it went in a direction that wasn't as interesting. The first issue is all set-up, and not much happens until the end.
Jack Russell is married with a pregnant wife.
He lies that he has a job that requires him to travel once a month.
I think that was an interesting set-up for the Werewolf by Night concept. By the end of the issue though, all the original bits are gone, and you're left with either a run-of-the-mill werewolf story or an Incredible Hulk story that is R-rated.
So, this'll be my only issue.

I may give it a second look.
Similarly disappointmented with the story, but the art was veering between dull and grotesque, and not in the good way that horror stories require. (The first panel of the werewolf has a weird concoction of legs that I think is meant to represent the creature leaping over the police?) The whole conspiracy to get Werewolf By Night to work for a secret agency by killing his familyawn ... story seems too familiar. If it does not pull away from that prediction I will not go beyond #2.

This book suffered from me reading Spider-Man "versus" SwampMan immediately afterwards. A decidedly silly book with interesting non-house style* art and completely useless use of Man-Thing but interesting dynamic on the whole fear thing.
Potentially worthless in so many ways and yet enjoyable in a throwaway fashion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users