#261 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

He sure as shit does.

I am starting to believe no other artist on this book would have worked quite as well. His shit is just so atmospheric, and the colors he uses just hits the damn spot
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#262 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Yep, Aaron does seem more interested in working at Marvel than on his creator-owned books. He's almost forgotten about The God Damned. I liked that book too. It's not as if he doesn't seem to be having a lot of fun writing Thor and Dr. Strange though.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#263 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

I gave up on Dr Strange. Too goofy and I hate Chris Bachalo. Unworthy Thor has been good as it seems to be closer to the God of Thunder book. New Thor is ok, but I am way behind.

~ James

Posted Image

#264 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

I like the Chris Bachalo artwork, but I'm with you about the story. I haven't given up on it, but it is getting too goofy for what I like in a Dr. Strange story.
I think Aaron's Thor work has gone way downhill too. I used to look forward to it the most each month, now the main title is hit or miss, and the Unworthy Thor has sort of lost my interest by going back to the God of Thunder plot, with Thanos' Black Circle, or whatever. I was hoping for a more back-to-basics, cosmic type of Thor comic in Unworthy when I heard about it. Didn't Aaron mention Ego and Mangog? I want to see those types of stories! I don't care about the Thanos' Black Circle, or whatever.
The new issue of Mighty Thor is good though, involving the Shi'ar from X-Men lore. It seemed like something different for Thor.

I ranked Aaron as the best writer in comics a few years back, but now he's just a good writer.
-Oscar Wilde

#265 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

^ agreed on a lot of that, CC. I mean, are we sure this is the same guy that penned Scalped? And I found his Hulk to be the same, just goofy.

~ James

Posted Image

#266 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I didn't mind his Hulk....but, then again, Hulk had been unreadable to me for so many years. I don't think I enjoyed the book since Peter David left it, and it hasn't been very good since after Aaron either. So, it doesn't look so bad, in comparison. I barely remember his run on Hulk at this point though.
Remember when he wrote that really horrible Hellblazer two-parter? With some characters, his style just does not mesh well.
-Oscar Wilde

#267 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Oh, yeah, I do now haha.

~ James

Posted Image

#268 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

View PostLou K, on 12 January 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

I am starting to believe no other artist on this book would have worked quite as well. His shit is just so atmospheric, and the colors he uses just hits the damn spot

Read an issue of this last night, [ Spoiler : werewolves ] and gangsters - will definitely pick a collection up when it hits Comixology.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#269 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Read the first Black Road trade, Brian Wood writing more Viking stuff - it's alright, little disjointed, will read a second volume when it hits.

#270 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

Really enjoyed the first Nailbiter collection, ludicrous concept (investigation into a small town in the US that's spawned 16 serial killers) but they lean well into it and somehow pull it off.  Down for more, for sure.

#271 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

After Death by Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire is quite lovely.

https://imagecomics.....d.-after-death
https://imagecomics....er-death-book-1

http://www.freaksuga...eath-interview/

So I will be getting this too
http://jefflemire.bl...8;max-results=1
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#272 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Anybody read this Image advertising magazine they're doing at the moment? I thought it'd be worth a look for the Brandon Graham comics page in every issue, but even those seem a bit below standard, and are mostly just puff pieces about what a brilliant publisher Image is...

#273 GottaGetAGrip

GottaGetAGrip

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

Well, aren't self-aggrandizing self-puff pieces pretty much the purpose of an advertising mag?

Picked up a copy of the first Kill or be Killed trade. Great stuff, and I definitely will be buying the next trades as they come out to see just how this long and winding road of violence and pretty pictures by Philips that Brubaker's cooked up turns out.

Read Wytches, courtesy of the library. I'm a fan of Scott Snyder's work - American Vampire's good trashy fun, loved his Batman Black Mirror, and I even liked his New 52 Batman run as overwritten as it could be at times. Wytches didn't fully click with me. I found the story and characters a bit generic. I do feel that overall the book has potential for improvement and good things in future installments that I will check out when they happen and Jock's art was a plus as always though I wasn't a fan of the colorist they picked.

#274 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostGottaGetAGrip, on 06 February 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Well, aren't self-aggrandizing self-puff pieces pretty much the purpose of an advertising mag?
Very true. I expect something a bit better from Graham, though.

#275 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Latest issue of Moonshine is great. Shit is about to go down! I wonder if this is an ongoing series?

~ James

Posted Image

#276 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

Image has announced a new set of titles for later in 2017. Lots of "United States facing a new civil war" comic books coming up....
The biggest news is that Warren Ellis will not be writing a werewolf comic book. It is actually Grace Ellis. I'm pretty sure that Comic Shop News had a typo, where "Warren Ellis" was listed as the writer.
I don't see a lot that really catch my interest, but one of the Ales Kot books sounds worth reading. The one about the "next American civil war", not to be confused with any non-Kot versions of same.

http://www.hollywood...ate-2017-982902
-Oscar Wilde

#277 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,242 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Interesting to see the artist on Injection, Declan Shalvey, branching into writing.

#278 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

Royal City #1 (by Jeff Lemire)-Beautiful. It was everything you'd expect from Lemire returning to his non-genre roots. There aren't enough comic books like this....like the best of Daniel Clowes or like Essex County. I love superheroes and horror and sci-fi and fantasy genre comics, but it's nice to see books like this too.
Lemire is truly an amazing creator. Look at the work he's currently doing....Royal City, Black Hammer, Moon Knight....all quite good, but each about as different as you can get in writing. It shows a real talent.
Grade: A, must read.

Underwinter #1 (by Ray Fawkes)-Fawkes has really improved as a writer. I'm not judging him by Constantine, which was never showing his full potential. His artwork continues to amaze me. His writing has grown a lot though. He's telling a very weird, very surreal horror story here, but his first attempt at this sort of writing showed a lot of the faults of a writer trying to discover how to do different things with the artform. This book looks like Fawkes has found his talent.
Now, the description of this series from Image....standalone stories, topical.....doesn't seem to reflect the actual content of the book.
The ending intrigued me enough to want to come back and see where this is going.

I remember when a writer could come Hellblazer and tell the type of stories they wanted to tell. It's really sad to see how far a John Constantine comic book has fallen. There were times I was reminded quite a bit of the types of stories that Delano was telling with Hellblazer in this comic. Now, writers are forced to tell generic or handcuffed types of stories with the character of John Constantine.
I'm reminded of how great Oliver's Last Gang in Town was, compared to the boring slog he's doing on The Hellblazer.
-Oscar Wilde

#279 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

I have both of these in my pile of comics to read
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users