featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Shawn

Shawn

conjurer of cheap tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

It's a bit Hellblazer, rated PG-13. But I'm willing to trade it for what we're getting, like Ravenscar! And John acting like kind of smart-ass jerk. Solid portrayal I'd say. There's a severe lack of fags (yes cigarettes). I'll give it a shot.
We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize. - Thich Nhat Hanh

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

https://twitter.com/shawn1163

#3 chamber

chamber

Constanteen PG15

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

It was cool to see Ravenscar.

I wondered if Jeremy Davis was playing one of the newcastle crew.

Mackenzie Crook would make a good Gary Lester

#4 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Did anyone else notice they never say his name, it's just scattered throughout in text.? I didn't notice it at first, it was pointed out to me.

But I thought it looked great. Didn't like the "what's on the way?!?" plead to the sky. I did like the last line-"She did it."

And "Bollocks!" was nice to hear. I am now more optimistic about this thing than I ever was (mainly because I never was).
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#5 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

There are a handful of things in there that I'm deeply wary about (the "what's on the way?!" didn't bother me, but the "you mean I could save my soul?" set off alarm bells), but quite a lot to like, too. Like slinker, "she did it" got a laugh out of me.

Actor certainly looks the part, not entirely certain of his delivery but I'm willing to roll with it - I've got a couple of decades' worth of my own imagined version of John's voice in my head, so just about anything other than that is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Bottom line is whether they actually get the characterisation right - I can live with just about any changes they care to make to the mythology and spiritual whatever-ness of the show's universe, so long as it's got a character who's recognisably John Constantine at the heart of it.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#6 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Few more animated .gifs here.

#7 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

He's definitely nailed a fair few of the mannerisms. The grin in that first gif is bang on.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#8 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

he's got bad hair in some scenes which to me is spot on for the John I think I know.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#9 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Cautiously optimistic.
World shut your mouth.

#10 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I think they're probably doing their best to make something that appeals to both longtime fans of Hellblazer and a larger audience who just like supernatural shows.If they get the humour right - and there's some evidence they are so far, that'll go a long way to paper over any hokey nonsense. Some of the dialogue doesn't work for me, but then this kind of stuff works a lot better written down than spoken. And fair play, he's not a bad John so far.

World shut your mouth.

#11 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, a lot more good than bad in there - eyes started rolling when they introduced the lass but then...

Posted Image

...so, alright then.

The guy playing John seems to have the attitude down, obviously all concerned have nailed the look.  My understanding is that this will be airing at 10pm on Friday nights so why he can't be smoking at that hour of the night I don't know!

Oh and are they using the logo from the Constantine comic despite all the marketing, and this trailer, only mentioning the original Hellblazer title ?!?

#12 Qusoor

Qusoor

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

We all seen it, then?

Sadly, it's Heaven and Hell again, and John's looking for redemption, using the power of the cross. I'll be interested to hear about the second episode, if they branch out to other mythologies, not justy the familiar American Christianity.
John Goodrich

Nerdron Keeper of the Ultimate Hellblazer Index

Does it count as betrayal to give someone a kicking he's been begging for?

#13 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Yeah we can deal with that at the end of the 1st series, as something he just said to trick someone involved in the series long arc.

Characterisation is Hellblazer.
Has enough of the film to rope in the millions of people who saw that.
If the black demon guy is Nergal I am totes impressed.

By the way, I have watched a few of the Criminal Minds spin off, which is like a millenniumish take on that franchise.
Rather too heavy on the ensemble to get a feel for Matt Ryan.
I like how he isn't doing scouse in the aforementioned clip.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#14 Pooka

Pooka

Nimble Little Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostA. Heathen, on 11 May 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Seen the cast list on Imdb?
World shut your mouth.

#15 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

COLOR ME SOLD!!
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#16 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostJohnMcMahon, on 11 May 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

Liv seeing her grandma = Gemma seeing her grandad

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#17 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostPooka, on 11 May 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostA. Heathen, on 11 May 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Seen the cast list on Imdb?

Yeah, but I don't know who that guy is.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#18 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,375 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

I don't have any problem with the Judeo-Christian mythology, as that's really what the Hellblazer comic was based around also. It was realy only the Paul Jenkins run that deviated from that to explore some pre-Christian British mythology.
If this TV show really does become about John fighting the forces of Hell and trying to eventually find redemption though, then you can say what you want about the Constantine comic book, but at least the characterization of John is closer to Hellblazer's intent.
The problem with the Constantine comic is just that it's generic and lacks substance (well, and that DC cross-overs too are a huge problem).
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#19 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostChristian, on 11 May 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

I don't have any problem with the Judeo-Christian mythology, as that's really what the Hellblazer comic was based around also. It was realy only the Paul Jenkins run that deviated from that to explore some pre-Christian British mythology.
If this TV show really does become about John fighting the forces of Hell and trying to eventually find redemption though, then you can say what you want about the Constantine comic book, but at least the characterization of John is closer to Hellblazer's intent.
The problem with the Constantine comic is just that it's generic and lacks substance (well, and that DC cross-overs too are a huge problem).

Save for the lightning shooting from his fingers. Only Drs. Fate and Strange can do that crap

#20 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

I would say that DCU Constantine has not much in common with Hellblazer when it comes to motivation.
He's an arsehole, mostly self-serving and tricks way more people. Hellblazer John tricked some folks who deserved it (remember how out of character his treatment of the yuppie was in the Milligan run?) and more often than not harmed people by omission rather than intent. Hellblazer John is a Jonah, DCU Constantine is a cock.
And as Demon Chas says, the fucking crackly magic shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users