- - - - -

What If Peter Milligan had written the comic that inspired a TV series ?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

i'm sort of confused by all these threads so if i missed someone having already posted this, do forgive as it is divine or somesuch nonsense.

but here -
"Hellblazer's" Past Weighs in on "Constantine's" Future

Milligan, the last creator to pen the ongoing "Hellblazer" title, expressed the most doubt:
"I suppose my first thought was 'I probably won't watch that,'" writer Peter Milligan told CBR News about NBC's "Constantine." "This is based on how Constantine has been portrayed outside the pages of 'Hellblazer,' and generally how bland and de-bollocked comics with any edge tend to be when they're portrayed in another medium."

In Milligan's case, the writer told CBR that what he thought was at "Hellblazer's" core, and what he would ideally hope to see in a TV adaptation, was the, "Sex, swearing, cynicism, bleakness, a lack of 'learning.' There can be love but no sentimentality."
"I like the comic and the character when it and he wallows in the bleak and miserable gutters of life," Milligan added.

it makes the little dark thing in me start to squirm seeing him perceived as someone knowledgeable about hellblazer. it's kind of like seeking construction tips from the Titanic's captain. "oh, you often play chicken with icebergs and big boats do you? why, you aren't exhibiting the behavior of someone responsible for guiding big boats safely across the sea!"

or "convicted murderer says he's concerned his victim's corpse is being exploited by mourning family who refuse to give him a viking funeral."

i also am somewhat stricken by him being so clueless that his version of John was the model for Teenage Johnny and the Heckblazer Mysteries. so it appears that those of us who blamed his run sucking on milligan not knowing the character were correct and win a 35 cent thriftstore coupon. oh, it expired. shoot!
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

"If you can't say 'Fuck,' you can't say, 'Fuck the government.'" - Lenny Bruce

#2 Red

Red

All your capital are belong to us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

I call bygones on the Milligan thing. The interview was fun to read, especially Delano and Jenkins, who I haven't read that much about.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#3 Guest_Nick Neko_*

Guest_Nick Neko_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's entirely possible that Milligan likes and understands the character of Constantine, but just found himself unable to get it down on paper.
He seems to understand everything that makes me enjoy the character. He seems to ge speaking as a fa, not as the writer who missed writing Constantine properly.
I agree with Milligan, whether he can write the character or not. It's what I'd like to see out of anything HB related.

#4 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Red, on 23 July 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

I call bygones on the Milligan thing.

*whispers: never

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#5 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

seventhcircle, on 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

*whispers: never

Ditto
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#6 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

It's not really the sort of thing that can be forgiven that way.
Nice try though.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#7 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

The books are still out there and they're still doing damage. The pain for me is recent. Look at my eyes.
eatingarbyseatingarbyseatingarbys

#8 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

fuck milligan. he can munch a phallus. he didn't understand the character at all. he even admitted in the article, he liked to make john suffer and he was happiest when john was at his worst. that's only cool when you allow the character to rise from his worst and display him at his best, not when you have that character as a prisoner you love to torment, which is how milligan wrote hellblazer. milligan never allowed john any triumph, instead he became revisionist scum who totally changed the main character, the supporting characters, and then had the audacity to inject his own character into the mess he wrote making it even worse, he just wanted to leave the stain of his own seed on john's coat while killing him. make no mistake, milligan killed john constantine well before issues 298 through 300. and for that, he sucks. no bygones for milligan. he is this comic's dark age, the story told by those who win the wars because those who lose don't get their stories told right. and that's how milligan wrote hellblazer - like it was a vanquished enemy. i won't read another title by him. i know others who feel the same. i won't give him another chance to betray my fan loyalty. his career is dead to me, and my conscience has burned the remains. he can fuck off for what he's done.

sorry for the downvote, red. that wasn't for you, it was for milligan, but you unfortunately took that bullet for him.
When you are a step ahead of everybody else, they call you a genius. When you are two steps ahead, they say you're crazy.

#9 slinker

slinker

Dr. Orpheus!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:11 AM

no, i'm not unforgiving. if milligan came to his senses and admitted his failure and asked for forgiveness, i would give it to him. i could wait, but i know it isn't forthcoming. i've yet to know of a writer who ever admitted anything he wrote sucks. they'll sometimes say they "were naive in some of their earlier works," but they never say "yeah, i fucked the dog on that one. wish i had a do-over for it!"

but, should milligan escape his ego and ask for it, he shall surely get it.

#10 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

Actually, that's just taking it too seriously.

:hattip:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

#11 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

haha. Maybe, but my freshly-burned sensibilities loved it. It's the sort of overblown yet eloquent viciousness I don't usually like, but the actual content rang completely true :]

#12 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Get real. Even though Milligan's run was very poor, he didn't "kill Hellblazer". Hellblazer would have been cancelled anyway. He may possibly have hastened the cancellation, but that's as far as it goes. Don't get me wrong, his run is my least favorite by far, but it's kind of absurd to hate the guy personally for writing something you don't like.

I kinda hope noone involved in the upcoming TV show reads these threads.
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.

#13 Gwilym

Gwilym

Nick Necro's Boyfriend

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

"That was a highly articulate outburst, Vyvyan. I only hope they're not watching."

I dunno, I read the ad hominem stuff as colourful flavour*. slinker playing Rage Man. Anyone on the production team who read it would surely just roll their eyes, say "oh, internet," and then write a thinly-veiled version of slinker who'd get eaten by a demon in the pre-credits sequence.

Anyway, it was John he said Milligan killed, not Hellblazer. There's a pretty big difference there, and even if it's still a huge overblown exaggeration, it's also impressively succinct; subsuming carefully measured critique, spittle-flecked personal anger, and the fact that Milligan did literally kill John. It's efficient writing! I could learn a lot from it.

*for the purposes of this sentence, slinker and I have synesthesia

#14 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

I agree with red's underlying point that (just like the days of Keanu) casual observers of the forum will see BLAH BLAH BLAH Milligan BLAH BLAH BLAH not smoking BLAH BLAH BLAH not bisexual BLAH BLAH BLAH before they see the useful details in the minor posts.
We're not discussing /rehashing the past sins of the comic here

#15 Red

Red

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

This is, after all, a forum chock full of knowledge about the Hellblazer comic, and it would be a boon to the series if some of the creators stopped by. But if they see us for just kids screaming obscenities, they'd probably just walk away, fast.

#16 seventhcircle

seventhcircle

living circlejerk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

A. Heathen, on 24 July 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

I agree with red's underlying point that (just like the days of Keanu) casual observers of the forum will see BLAH BLAH BLAH Milligan BLAH BLAH BLAH not smoking BLAH BLAH BLAH not bisexual BLAH BLAH BLAH before they see the useful details in the minor posts.
We're not discussing /rehashing the past sins of the comic here

but I... I already took out my torch and pitchfork, what am I supposed to do with these now that you call off the witchhunt?

More on topic: are there any hints if they go with the mythology displayed in hellblazer (gods of actecs or indigenous australiens, trinity of hell and stuff) or more with the classic biblical one. And as you mentioned the film: I would like a depiction of a demon as spot on as lucifer in the constantine film (which was the highlight there apart from the great great fx effects [I mean that scene where lucifer stepped through the glass door and all those splinters hovering in the air, that was flawless, even after some lectures on photorealistic rendering that scene still makes me... go in aw]).

Of cause you keep going on. We.. we all keep going on. If we stop laughing, than they have won.
[Alfonse. french-german Comedian, 17.11.15]

#17 Lou K

Lou K

POWAH!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,798 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Peter Milligan wrote hellblazer?
In the age of the internet someone's sensibility is ALWAYS being tested.

~ James

Posted Image

#18 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just the annual.

#19 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Suicide Bridge was excellent! Not bad for his sole entry
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#20 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,387 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

We will not be satisfied until Milligan has been crucified for the sins of what he did to Hellblazer!

Seriously, I liked how Milligan described his take on John Constantine in that interview. I just wish it would have come through better in his writing on the book, instead of treating the book as if he didn't care for the character of John Constantine at all.

Seventh-Those elements of mythology you speak of were rarely used in HB though. It was mainly the Judeo-Christian mythos that were used in the book. Even the Trinity in Hell concept is just an inverse of the Holy Trinity of Christianity, and regardless if it had DCU elements, it's still a Judeo-Christian concept, since it's still Hell and it used beings who are considered demons (Azazel, Beelzebub, Satan).
The use of Nergal is based on the later Christianizing of Mesopotamian belief, rather than the Babylonian deity.
Australian mythology was only used for one story-arc, and that's considered a minor HB story (although I enjoyed it).
I only remember Aztec gods playing a role in the Mike Carey graphic novel.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users