36 replies to this topic

#21 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

Issue 51 was pretty fookin' good, if we're going there?

#22 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

That's for damn sure! I'd love to be reading a series based solely around that type of plotting! This is more of a teen-friendly "supernatural" TV show. It tries to be far too cute and doesn't even bother adding any real horror elements to the fantasy. I'd say HB slowly moved away from real horror stories, but at least the tone stayed relatively dark, until parts of the Milligan run. Milligan had some overly-cartoony stuff that was very hard to take seriously. This series just jettisons any idea of being a horror book. I'm not even sure exactly what it's trying to be, which is a major problem. It has elements of a fantasy story mixed with elements of romance fiction, but doesn't do either particularly well. Issue #51, on the other hand, was very nice psychological horror.
"I wish it were fin du globe," said Dorian with a sigh.
"Life is such a great disappointment."
-Oscar Wilde

#23 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

Another thing I'm slowly not feeling is Oliver.

So far he's really done nothing to make me give a damn about him. He's just...there. He has no real relevance to the plot of the story (whatever that is), most of his appearances are small and forgettable besides his first appearance, and when he does appear, he's nothing but a ploy for this hammy, unmoving romance he and John sort of have.

If they REALLY wanted to make a love interest for John in Oliver, they should have looked at Kit Ryan. She was an engaging love interest to John along with Zed, who didn't take all of John's bullshit, and made him think on not only his life, but how much of a risk it is for theirs. Here, Oliver is just that piece of meat (no pun intended) that John's not suppose to eat, but is seething for it. That's all well and good, but the least you can do is build his character more so that I can find a reason to care.

I dunno is it his physical looks that people enjoy him? Is it something I wouldn't understand since I don't see him in a sexual manner? Because honestly he's just...boring!

#24 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

He does look a lot like Proof from another Riley Rossmo comic (a damn fine Rossmo series, so hunt it down, if you haven't already read it!).
Since Proof was a Bigfoot, I guess that satisfactorily answers your question. he he
(I'm not sure anyone actually enjoys the character of Oliver. I think people were initially excited about John having a boyfriend. Now, he's become a personalityless 'damsel in distress' stand-in for John, which is a horrible waste. Still better than Epiphany though!)

Posted Image
-Oscar Wilde

#25 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:44 AM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 16 December 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

The more I read into this series the more this feels less like Hellblazer and more like an OOC fanfiction of Hellblazer written by a Tumblr user whose writting it based on ONLY reading issue 51 and the Azzerrllo arc with SW Manor, with a lil bit of TV series "supernatural" type spooky shit on the side.

I always remind myself that this isn't suppose to be a copy of the original gritty Hellblazer comics, but...it's still urks me at times.

Pretty much and that's sadly the overall target audience for a comic that's dwindling in sales much like the New52 title before it.
"Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!"- Phil Ken Sebben circa 2001

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

For Doctor Who Chronology: http://drwhocontinut...e.blogspot.com/

#26 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 17 December 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

Another thing I'm slowly not feeling is Oliver.

So far he's really done nothing to make me give a damn about him. He's just...there. He has no real relevance to the plot of the story (whatever that is), most of his appearances are small and forgettable besides his first appearance, and when he does appear, he's nothing but a ploy for this hammy, unmoving romance he and John sort of have.

If they REALLY wanted to make a love interest for John in Oliver, they should have looked at Kit Ryan. She was an engaging love interest to John along with Zed, who didn't take all of John's bullshit, and made him think on not only his life, but how much of a risk it is for theirs. Here, Oliver is just that piece of meat (no pun intended) that John's not suppose to eat, but is seething for it. That's all well and good, but the least you can do is build his character more so that I can find a reason to care.

I dunno is it his physical looks that people enjoy him? Is it something I wouldn't understand since I don't see him in a sexual manner? Because honestly he's just...boring!

Thank you!! He's just a prop and nothing more. Both this and the previous title suffered from the lack of strong female characters (omitting Zatanna who Milligan's JLD run reduced to a sidekick to where that and his run makes me wish he should've made like Chuck Austen and get exiled to Marvel & stay there) along with shitty material.

For Doctor Who, Torchwood, Bernice Summerfield & Sarah Jane reviews go to: www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk

#27 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

Can I just point out that using "Supernatural" as a diss for the insufficiently horror-y tone of the current series is maybe a bit harsh on that telly series, which definitely has its moments?

#28 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:35 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 18 December 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Can I just point out that using "Supernatural" as a diss for the insufficiently horror-y tone of the current series is maybe a bit harsh on that telly series, which definitely has its moments?
I don't mean it to be harsh. But the horror aspects of Supernatural vs Hellblazer is very contrasting.

#29 Demon Chas08

Demon Chas08

Con Artist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

Harsh to Seasons 1-5 maybe but 6-11? Forgetaboutit!

#30 Speedblazer

Speedblazer

Street Magician

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostDemon Chas08, on 18 December 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

Harsh to Seasons 1-5 maybe but 6-11? Forgetaboutit!
Naw season 11 is actually a good one. It was mostly around season 7-10 where the series really got lousy.

#31 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostSpeedblazer, on 18 December 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

I don't mean it to be harsh. But the horror aspects of Supernatural vs Hellblazer is very contrasting.
What I was getting at: Supernatural is obviously an adventure series not a horror series. So conflating the two (whatever you think of either) is nonsense.
Clear now?

#32 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

I thought it was appropriate due to the fact that the new Constantine series is obviously not a horror series. Is it trying to be and failing? Or, is it on purpose, and still not doing a good job? I guess that is debatable. But, the style of horror being used needs to be compared to something which is outside the realm of the horror genre, due to its tame nature. However, I'm not actually familiar with Supernatural, outside of commercials, so I just went with what I felt to be an earlier apt description of the horrific-less horror of Constantine now.
Basically, when comparing the horror style of Hellblazer with the horror style of the current series, it is best to choose from something outside the realm of the genre to make the best point.
-Oscar Wilde

#33 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

So a comparison to something you're not familiar with is clearer than saying "this isn't really a horror comic is it?"?

#34 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

I believe I did say it's not a horror comic back at the top of this page. I'm not the one who brought Supernatural in to this discussion.
I used "supernatural" in a descriptive, not a genera/proper, sense. See my actual comment.
-Oscar Wilde

#35 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

Research is for trainspotters.
:tongue:

#36 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:52 PM

View Postdogpoet, on 26 December 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Research is for trainspotters.
:tongue:

And quibbling too.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#37 dogpoet

dogpoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users