- - - - -

Hellblazer #218

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #218 (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #218

1. 10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 9 (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 8 (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 7 (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. 6 (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. 5 (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

7. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hellblazer #218

(Published Cover)

(W) Denise Mina
(A) Leonardo Manco
(Cover) Greg Lauren (Solicited)
             Lee Bermejo (Published)

Part 3 of the 7-part story "Empathy is the Enemy," written by acclaimed author Denise Mina. On the highway to Glasgow, John encounters a forgotten acquaintance from his troubled youth. Coincidence, or a set up engineered by a shadowy sect rooted in nine centuries of Scottish mysticism? Constantine senses that the end of this road may be too dark even for him.

(Solicited Cover)
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Mick

Mick

"Mick - He Who Writes Badly"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

Cannot wait to get this wont have it till friday, DAMN! But im itching for it!
Posted Image

#3 Apocsol

Apocsol

Wielder of the power of dustbins...with reckless abandon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

They don't sell Hellblazer anywhere near me, so I have to wait for the...the tbf to come out!  *Sob*  hold me........... in a macho kind of way that is  blink.gif
Apocsol-warning:  May cause irriation after prolonged exposure.  If problem develops, buy shotgun.

Never value common sense above dreams.

"Why the hell do you have a bomb?"
"There's a very good reason for that."
"....which is?"
"I don't know, but whatever it is, it's a very good reason."

#4 andy

andy

Gone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

Curiouser and curiouser...Not a whole lot happens, just another piece of the puzzle...John's jewelry line gave me a laugh and briefly reminded me of the Keanu giving the pendant to Rachel scene in the film....the whole issue will probably read better in the trade though.
HAPPY IS HE WHO RENOUNCED THE WORLD BEFORE THE WORLD RENOUNCED HIM.

From the Mausoleum of Timur the Lame

#5 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Apocsol @ Mar 22 2006, 05:09 PM)
They don't sell Hellblazer anywhere near me, so I have to wait for the...the tbf to come out!  *Sob*  hold me........... in a macho kind of way that is  blink.gif

Get on ebay... Or if you have a paypal account i get my from a really great bloke who would be glad of more business he's also cheapest on ebay!
Posted Image

#6 Apocsol

Apocsol

Wielder of the power of dustbins...with reckless abandon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Really?  I've never actually collected anything in the proper format before.....And this way I could guilt my parents into paying for it............I LIKE IT!
Apocsol-warning:  May cause irriation after prolonged exposure.  If problem develops, buy shotgun.

Never value common sense above dreams.

"Why the hell do you have a bomb?"
"There's a very good reason for that."
"....which is?"
"I don't know, but whatever it is, it's a very good reason."

#7 hagren

hagren

Hence we name our game "Fall...out"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

I dont know when this arrives here, the 216 issue came out two weeks later or something.
But after 216/17 im looking forward to it.

#8 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Apocsol @ Mar 22 2006, 09:19 PM)
Really?  I've never actually collected anything in the proper format before.....And this way I could guilt my parents into paying for it............I LIKE IT!

I have no idea want your rambling at?
Posted Image

#9 Christian

Christian

The Last One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,901 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:43 AM

That's my reaction to 99% of the posts here anymore....

Nothing happened in this issue.
I liked the first two parts because they had an atmosphere to them, but this one was just there....middle of a story-arc blues....
I give Mina points for bringing back a character from Mike Carey's run instead of going with the old "Hey! It's my long lost friend from childhood who I've never talked about and haven't seen in years!".
The jewelry line was funny.
I'm giving it a 6. Like Andy said, it's probably not fair to try to rate this issue on its own merits, as this story-arc is obviously written for the Trades.
Come away, O human child
From the waters and the wild;
Take a fairy by the hand,
For the world's more full of weeping
than you can understand...." -W.B. Yeats

#10 TestosteRohne

TestosteRohne

An Inconvenient Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:47 AM

Curse you decadent Americans!
You who have comics on Wednesdays!
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

#11 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:50 AM

Yeah they think there all posh just because they get there comics before us!
SNOBS!
Posted Image

#12 Dave

Dave

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Well, i liked it. It gives more life to the already excellent one off that Carey wrote. I especially liked the 6th century bit. those crazy old monks are awesome. I don't get how you guys say nothing really happens. we learn more about Johns empathy and more about Steve (I want to say Holt, but that's Arrested Development).

Another thing i love about this site inparticular is the vocabular that you Euro's use. It's so different from the boring words i hear in the Deep South of the United States.
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#13 Gordon

Gordon

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

I have to say, I dropped Hellblazer for awhile towards the end of Carey’s Run (well, not really dropped. More like missed an issue and didn’t go back to it) and although I’ll be catching up with the ever-more-frequent trades, I’m absolutely loving Denise Mina’s run, what some people seem to think of a slow burn, I find portentous.

#14 A. Heathen

A. Heathen

The wisdom of Dick (Solomon)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,161 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (TestosteRohne)

It's because it takes them longer to read.
I liked this issue a lot and the story is building very nicely.
The two story threads are converging nicely.

Meanwhile, although I have passed the baton of annotations to a young trainee, I am still on the ball and last week I found out about St Oran. http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/oran.html

Not to be confused with St Orlan
http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites...nvas/orlan.html

Or "Oron" as per uncorrected error in this issue.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"But that's the whole point, it's supernatural, these things happen.
It's not supposed to be realistic in that sense."

#15 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Adrian Brown @ Mar 23 2006, 07:14 PM)
Meanwhile, although I have passed the baton of annotations to a young trainee

Who will get around to it one of these days, promise.

#16 Dave

Dave

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Adrian Brown @ Mar 23 2006, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (TestosteRohne)

It's because it takes them longer to read.
I liked this issue a lot and the story is building very nicely.
The two story threads are converging nicely.

Meanwhile, although I have passed the baton of annotations to a young trainee, I am still on the ball and last week I found out about St Oran. http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/oran.html

Not to be confused with St Orlan
http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites...nvas/orlan.html

Or "Oron" as per uncorrected error in this issue.

I tell you what. I thought all that was stuff that came from Mina's demented mind. It adds a whole other layer that it's based on a "true story".
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk.

#17 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

Tut! Still got about 12 hours to go before the postman pops it through my door, do you know i dont think i'll sleep tonight!
Posted Image

#18 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

Good issue - not much happened, but I'm enjoying the 6th Century stuff (partly because I've spent a fair bit of time on Iona in the past, and actually knew a bit about the history already), and I'm curious as to how it's going to play into the modern-day story - the apparent hint towards that in the speaking-to-the-dead scene were intriguing. It'll be impossible to really judge this (or indeed any of Mina's issues so far) until the arc's finished, because it's pretty much all been set-up which'll be reliant on a good punchline, but it's got me wanting to find out more, so I can't really complain. Manco's art is solid, and a lot more consistent than it was towards the end of Mike's run - nice to see the scar on John's cheek is still there, too. Mina's grasp of character and dialogue is every bit as ace as I'd have expected from her novels (the "jewelry" exchange was classic Constantine, and elicited an out-loud snigger from me on the tram this afternoon), and while the Captain Exposition relation of Anita's backstory was slightly awkward (especially for those of us who've been reading the title monthly - it'd be less intrusive to a reader who's just jumped on for Mina's run, or who'll be reading this in trade form), it was a good use of a previously-established character. The arc is moving slowly, but not irritatingly so - there've been plenty of hints as to the overall plot to keep things interesting, and the slow-burning, ominous atmosphere (I loved the panel with the demon kids from last issue looking across at the car, for example) is keeping things nice and tense.

Haven't decided on a mark out of 10 yet, but that's not really too important. I had very high hopes for Mina's run, and while it's still early days, I've not been disappointed so far.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#19 wolfram

wolfram

Demon Constantine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:17 AM

Some nice moments here with the woman from his past, the jewelry laugh, more monk-related deliciousness---and, overall, far more solid this issue. There wasn't a single moment of confusion or odd scripting, which I'm sure shows that she's already gotten the flow of this format.

I'm very happy with Mina's run so far. Though I've been getting the singles for a while now, I think I'll get the trade of this also.

Any news on sales figures so far?
She turned on the knockoff mp3 player she’d gotten at the oriental open market and started cutting. Wide swaths of damp cloth fell beneath her cut. Yards of cotton-lycra-poly blends disassembled with each slit beneath the sharp open mouth of the scissors. Frankie was a seamstress in reverse.
Once her present had been stripped of its wrapping, bow and paper all carefully set aside, Frankie began the second process. She dampened the sponge in a small metallic bowl full of water, rinsed the excess, and meticulously washed away the half-dried blood like Christ cleaned sins. The pattern of "oral exsanguination" was apparent immediately from the manner of the spread. Wet hands, wet from face to crotch.

#20 Hellboy

Hellboy

Street Magician

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

I think Mark has summed the issue pretty much and i gave it a seven. Great cover and fantastic art plus the story is going on very nicely. Good job. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users