141 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

<a href="http://www.comicbook...mns/?column=13" target="_blank">Lying In The Gutters</a>

Ian Rankin, crime novelist and author of such titles as "Knots And Crosses," adapted as the "Rebus" TV series for the BBC, announced at the Edinburgh Book festival that he is to write a comic book project for Vertigo.

Further investigation reveals it is a John Constantine project, with Constantine pitched as a pulp-fiction style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural clients.

I understand the introduction happened through current "Hellblazer" writer Denise Mina.
featherweight champion, cheap to get pissed

#2 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

The reign of the scotts continues.
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

#3 Mark

Mark

"I know it's not as good as it used to be..."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hmmm. I'm sort of hoping that this is an OGN-type project, rather than another run on the monthly title - the pitch sounds a bit weird, otherwise.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."
- Humphrey Lyttleton, 1921-2008

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."
- some wise soul on the internet somewhere, 2009

#4 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

I don't believe they'll be slotting this into the monthly title, no.

The idea of various prose writers tackling John in whatever manner they see-fit, a kind of Hellblazer Elseworlds title, does sound like it could be fun.

Then they could get the chap who wrote that Castor book to have a go....

Oh, and John Shirley, someone really should try to get him to write a comic - reckon he could serve up something a little left of usual.

#5 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

Appeals to me, certainly. But then, I'm a firm believer in the Ade Brown Plan to turn HB into an OGN/miniseries-based proposition, rather than an ongoing monthly title, so I would say that.
"As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from dessication."

"The Doctor remembers every Doctor Who story ever told. Every episode, Target book, comic strip and every game of companions and TARDISes that you played as a kid. The universe he lives in has no record of it, because paradoxes and divergent dimensions and the Time War have reset things... but the Doctor remembers and sometimes when he is sad it's because you've stopped being 8 years old and he can't run around the school playground with you anymore."

#6 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

Well, it looks like I might be able to get my dad to read Hellblazer at last.

#7 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

What a bizzare ambition.
"Conan! What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

#8 JohnMcMahon

JohnMcMahon

absentee landlord

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

Maybe you could get him to provide a quote for the trade cover, too.

#9 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (James @ Aug 21 2006, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it looks like I might be able to get my dad to read Hellblazer at last.

James Wilkinson...living the dream.

#10 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

See what I’m imagining is some kind of Green Eggs & Ham scenario with James chasing his dad around the country waving a copy of Dangerous Habits.

#11 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

So am I...now.

#12 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:31 PM

I will not read it James my son,
I will not read it just for fun
I will not read Ennis, Azzarello, Jenkins or Delano
I will not read it oh no no

Oh but dad, It's by Rankin
Why didnt you say so James... GET IN!

#13 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

#14 Matt

Matt

Bat country!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

but an F- for your image posting skillls.

(what will really bake you mind is how I knew what you were trying to post even though I can't see it)

#15 Lost_Johnny

Lost_Johnny

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

You will be amazed and astounded by The Kejoxen and his magic of the right-click...

Good news this anyway (I hope), I've enjoyed all of Rankin's work which I've read and if this is an OGN then hopefully no worries about the monthly pacing etc. Might reach a slightly wider audience as well, in the process.

What with ITV bleating on about taking some risks and increasing the quality of their drama, maybe next year's line up might be Cracker, Rebus and Constantine?  tongue.gif

#16 James

James

Chinese bakery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

And Castor!

QUOTE (Kejoxen @ Aug 21 2006, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(what will really bake you mind is how I knew what you were trying to post even though I can't see it)

Copying an image URL isn't that mind-baking, is it?

No idea why that image didn't work. Neither did another five that I tried from various unrelated websites, but I thought it might just not be my PC displaying the images.

#17 dogpoet

dogpoet

From Hell's heart I strike at thee...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (JohnMcMahon @ Aug 21 2006, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Further investigation reveals it is a John Constantine project, with Constantine pitched as a pulp-fiction style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural clients.

Like that godawful Lovecraft film?

#18 Lost_Johnny

Lost_Johnny

Eglantine Price's Bedknob

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (James @ Aug 21 2006, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Castor!

QUOTE (Kejoxen @ Aug 21 2006, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Copying an image URL isn't that mind-baking, is it?

No idea why that image didn't work. Neither did another five that I tried from various unrelated websites, but I thought it might just not be my PC displaying the images.

#http://www.jourdanton.k12.tx.us/elem/A%20.png
should have been
#http://www.jourdanton.k12.tx.us/elem/A%2b.png

you're probably still still to whacked out on mind altering substances like the rest of those young delinquents who invaded peaceful Staffordshire this weekend!

Castor - of course, but on second thoughts we don't really want ITV doing it do we? They'd probably pick Reg out of The Bill to play him!

#19 Mr. Tom Willecome

Mr. Tom Willecome

You talk the way stupid people think clever people talk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Mark @ Aug 21 2006, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then, I'm a firm believer in the Ade Brown Plan to turn HB into an OGN/miniseries-based proposition, rather than an ongoing monthly title, so I would say that.

Adrian fucking Brown Plan???

I've been advocating this since he was in liquid form.
SPELLCHECK IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

The Bedford Falls album is now available. PM me if you want one.

What a bunch of pussies.

#20 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, but you know how much he likes to take credit for it. Humour the old man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users