Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Guardians of the Galaxy

slinker    893

i wasn't impressed with cooper's lame bronx accent. the ending came close to ruining this movie for me. the guy who played ronin was the main dickhead guy in Halt & Catch Fire.

A. Heathen    1,129

He's a fucking raccoon from Outer Space!

You criticise his accent and you are trying too hard to not enjoy yourself.

• Upvote 5

Shawn    297

Besides, who's to say there isn't a Bronx-like on Half-World (Rocket's home planet)? Kind of like in Doctor Who where lots of planets have a "north."

OR

maybe Rocket watched some Honeymooner's episodes that have been drifting in space for all these decades.

• Upvote 2

slinker    893

3 people liked that? oh, you're all dead to me. mother was right! she knew you were all no good!

see, i liked the movie until the end (i have a thing about ends). but just knowing other actors with seemingly better voices, or voices with a huge upside or potential, were considered but not used casts a pallor upon the film for me now. i probably won't illegally download it as soon as a good version of it exists. sigh.

Red    467

i wasn't impressed with cooper's lame bronx accent.

Why? Because the accent was bad, or because a Bronx accent was wrong for the character? In which case, I again ask: Why?

the ending came close to ruining this movie for me.

What was wrong with the ending?

slinker    893

the dance off and the whole thing seemed hokie. also it was just a bridge to a sequel. it's one thing to plant a seed for one, it's quite another to add on a denouement for the sole purpose of 'hello sequel.'

as for cooper, i'm just not a fan. i think all those possibilities listed above would have been better. even sandler. :shrug:

Balthazar    172

I saw it the first Friday it was out with the bf and we had a lot of fun watching it. I definitely felt it was one of the best of the Marvel films, though I still prefer Captain America 2. The film was just a good old time though still felt it was missing a little something that I can't put my finger on till this day. But as a whole, highly recommended. I loved the whole cast and the group had such a fantastic dynamic together, emotionally and comedic. The audience had a ball cracking up when Drax spoke. Was not expecting him to be as funny as he ended up being.

• Upvote 3

Dr. Fleming    5

He's NOT a raccoon!

...Sorry. He just wouldn't like you using that term!

Seriously now: the most fun I've had at a cinema in ages. The chemistry and bantering between the group was fantastic, and Gunn handled pretty well the tone balance between the comedy (95% of it worked for me) and the pathos (I nearly teared up with "We are Groot", for real. Also, drunk Rocket agonising over being called a "vermin" somehow hit me in the heart, too).

With a few things ironed out, such as using a MacGuffin different to a "magical orb" (hello, The Avengers!), making Ronan an actually interesting villain and less time devoted to the convoluted cosmic shit and more time to develop the slightly sudden friendship of the group, if would have been pretty much a Perfect Blockbuster.

• Upvote 2

Tony B.    50

I was chuckling like Butthead throughout the entire movie.

I laughed the hardest at:

I don't think anybody's a HUNDRED percent a dick.

• Upvote 2

slinker    893

I laughed the hardest at:

I don't think anybody's a HUNDRED percent a dick.

definitely the best line of the whole movie.

Rogan    176

Rewatched it this weekend with my dad, who hasn't seen it. It's better on the second go, for me [i wasn't too taken by it first time 'round, it was okay, but I was a bit underwhelmed, despite the nifty cast and some really decent zingers.]

[Maybe my dad saying "I am Groot" every 5 minutes for the 2nd half of the movie contributed to my enjoyment.]

• Upvote 1

seventhcircle    582

any ideas in who peters father might be. gunn has stated at some point, that he is not following continuity on this one and also, why would the nova copr think that sparta(x) has an ancient unknown species, i mean the sparta(x) empire is pretty widely known in both incarnations of starlord.

asgard maybe?

http://www.newsarama...-all-along.html

has some good points, i think.

although, i do not think that the collector is more than a nod to the character in comics. making the collector an eternal elder of the universe* would mean that they introduce the eternals, who are in comparison to the other mcu characters rather obscure and would contribute not a lot to the story, yes? and second, why wouldn't he go full blown menace, when the infinity stone lay in front of him?

*whoops

Edited by seventhcircle

Lou K    1,057

The only thing about Asgard though is wouldn't Heimdall have seen him? Not like yondu could have hidden quill from Heimdall

seventhcircle    582

hm good point. any other guesses?

the xandar should know the eternals of titan, since thanos is one (if they don't, maybe thanos? or kronos? like if they mixed up the original background of drax or moondragon with peter?)

seventhcircle    582

hm me neither, up until now i was under the assumption, that adam was created by the high evolutionary. (apparantly not)

it's more of a question, what story they would want to tell in the greater (mcu) scheme of things. i mean basically it makes no sense to build up thanos (who i guess can be considered near cosmic) and then throw in some cosmic entity with him, from a storytelling point of few at least.

Christian    744

Sorry, the forum's resident Marvel expert wasn't paying attention.

Adam Warlock was created by the "Beehive", which was a group of four scientists whose goal was to create a new humanity, without the flaws of the human race, which would do the bidding of scientists. Warlock was originally referred to as "Him", before he developed his own personality. Obviously, Warlock immediately rebelled against the "Beehive".

Guardians 2 was a pretty fun romp. Doesn't have that exact feeling of freshness that the first one did, but there's enough good action, visuals, and dialogue to make the two hours breeze by. I found [ Spoiler : Ego the Living Planet ] to be a better villain that Ronan from the first one, though maybe that was just my love of [ Spoiler : Kurt Russell ] skewing things.

I was pretty surprised to see the [ Spoiler : Watchers popping up in the Stan Lee cameo ]. I thought they'd be tied up with the Fantastic Four rights at Fox instead.

I wonder with the tease for [ Spoiler : Adam Warlock in the credits, will he be showing up in Avengers Infinity War first or will he be saved for Guardians III? ].

Christian    744

I believe it's based more on what characters have appeared in what movie, versus what characters belong to which comic family of titles.

So, Silver Surfer is off-limits, because he appeared in the Fantastic Four movie.

Had Silver Surfer never been in any movies yet, the studios would have the ability to use Silver Surfer in any upcoming movies, if they so chose, even though Silver Surfer is a character who is predominantly associated with the Fantastic Four family of titles. They could've used him in the up-coming Infinity movie, or they could have launched him in his own film, or whatever.

Most of the mutant line of characters were tied up by FOX, but that's mainly just because most of the mutant characters are directly involved with the X-Men comic book. Marvel were able to get around that with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, by including them in Avengers, rather than having them lumped in with other mutant characters. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are more affiliated with the Avengers family of titles rather than any X-Men comics, pretty much, anyway. They haven't been utilized in any X-Men family of comics since the Stan Lee days of writing X-Men, really.

Quicksilver was in X-Factor, though.