Sign in to follow this  
Qusoor

So, Obscure British Comic Question: Thunder, 1970-1971

Because I'm a fucking nerd, I decided that I wanted to read some Black Max. Black Max was a character in Thunder, which lasted 22 weeks and then was folded into Lion. After this, there were three Thunder Annuals, 1972, 1973, 1974.

The question: Will the Annuals reprint material from Thunder, or will these be all original stories?

Hm. Looking like the Annuals were all new stories. Which means there's a lot more Black Max that I previously thought, but also that I suspect I'm going to spend a number of years getting my hands on a bunch of forty year-old comcs.

Thanks, guys.

That's always part of the fun of comic collecting though, ennit?

I wish I had more good comics to collect. My collections are getting pretty well filled in, I have a hard time finding any series to collect. I mainly collect Marvel Comics, 1980s indy comics, and DC books from the 1970s and 1980s though.

The annual stories may not be reprints from the original comics run*, but they may not be quite to the same standard either. Just look at the annual stories they stick in the back of some of the current 2000AD collections as filler. It was apparently the thing at Fleetway/IPC to save particularly crap stories trying out untested writers or artists for the annuals rather than the main comics run. It's pretty likely that the annuals will mostly have been published to use up the unpublished inventory stories (and any others that were clogging up the archive at the time), so they might not even feature Black Max.

I hesitate to suggest this, but there are shitloads of morally and legally dubious DVD collections of comics ripped as cbz files or pdfs on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Thunder one on there.

Good luck finding the stuff, anyway. Is Black Max the WWI air ace who was involved in a conflict with a German geneticist who'd raised a flying circus of giant bats? I've seen that mentioned in a few history of Brit comics things, and apparently it was drawn by Soplano Lopez, who I've never seen doing a war strip...

*(Equally, they might be: I used to have a 2000AD annual from the early 80s that reprinted the whole of Mills and Laila's Shako).