Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Constantine is officially picked up.

Is there any word on when it's actually going to be aired? It's got to be a while off yet.

NBC announced a round of pickups last night, no Constantine in there...

WHat does that mean?

Probably nothing but we're fast approaching the shit-or-get-off-the-pot stage, if it's not on the schedules due out next week it's dead.

That's my understanding anyway, but then I know very little about the process.

Just in from a few scoops and you beat me to it Chamber, great news - sounds like it might mean the end for my Saturday morning viewing of choice, Revolution, but I can deal with that.

I guess now we have to wait and see what the episode order is and if it's getting the dead-slot on Friday or not.

I'm still cautiously optimistic. If nothing else, the show will mean a lot more interest in the comic.

• Upvote 1

How long do Friday night shows typically last? What's a good duration for a friday night show2, 3 years? 47?

They call Friday "Friday Night Death Slot." It's where bad shows go to die because no one watches tv on friday nights. they're all having a knock down drag out rock and roll party in the streets, I think.

Fridays are thus often reserved for relatively cheap-to-produce content that doesn't require a lot of continuity to understand. That used to mean lots of mid-level half-hour sitcoms.

...expectations are low and shows can get away with ratings that would get them cancelled on any other weekday. The bad news is that Friday shows often struggle to meet even that lowered bar and have a high turnover rate. When a show starts in a Friday slot, and not as a "sneak preview" or "special viewing event", it's pretty much assumed to be doomed.

A relatively recent development is the vertical integration brought about by the mergers of the 90s and 00s; this means that the networks' parent MegaCorps now covet that Thursday night advertising for movies from their affiliated film studios that will be released...on Friday. Thus, the networks are forced to maintain a weak Friday lineup to ensure strong box office numbers. All six major American networks now have studio relationships.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridayNightDeathSlot