A. Heathen

Matt Ryan IS Johnny Constantine

Guest Gillian

That or he's just been well briefed by his peoples, either way he's talking the talk.

Seeing he quoted some line from Hellblazer in Twitter, I think he knows what he's talking about.

he seems to understand how important the character is to the fans. that's way more than anyone else associated with anything beyond the comic has even attempted since pre-pro for that awful film began. I'll give Ryan props. I'm still not sold on the show yet--to me it could be a lot like Denise Mina's run on the book - John's great but what if the situations they put him in are stupid or not interesting? Bless her heart, she really knew her main character but had no clue what to do with him. I have that same fear about the show. Maybe it's unfounded, I just look at the history of what's been done to the character out side the comic, and it's all shit. So the track record is what's fucking me up. But I go back and forth. The international trailer had good and bad things in it the first trailer didn't have, so who knows?

• Upvote 1

I like him. Plus, he's obviously read at least some of the comics, which is a really good thing.

• Upvote 2

Guest Gillian

BtotMZECEAAD4H3.jpg

Guess what's Matt holding on his hand? :smile:

Constantine maximum mode right there

Does anyone know who his mate is? We have to get him in here. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

i believe he's already here but totally sworn to secrecy and/or commited to secrecy in the interest of people not constantly badgering the fuck out of him for this and that.

if i were his mate, no way i'd tell anyone on a message board. maybe to people i was actually friends with in every day life, but they'd probably already know, anyway.

But this forum is always the first thing that comes up, or among the top 10 or so, when you google any of Hellblazer's tag terms, meaning die hards are already here, or lurk here, or whatever. but you can bet the house his mate knows of this forum. we might have already run him off, completely unaware of doing so.

• Upvote 1

Bt_eaJ4CAAAhLH9.png

This does feel right. He's sexy enough, which may not matter to most of you, but John should be an attractive guy because he clearly is in the comic.

• Upvote 3

Bt_eaJ4CAAAhLH9.png

This does feel right. He's sexy enough, which may not matter to most of you, but John should be an attractive guy because he clearly is in the comic.

There's a guy in the background weeping out of inadequacy

• Upvote 1

that was me. i wasn't even supposed to go to work that day. someone called in sick, he always calls in sick. and i was hungover more than inadequate. I thought TV John was bi, too, and my pass at/to him was rebuffed. for a second i wanted to hit him, to beat him up for making me feel inadequate. but he's just so cute!!! :angry: (that's his penish in my moving hand)

• Upvote 2

Sexyjohn was mostly in the Delano years; it kind of went away when Ennis started writing, and didn't really return until Diggle openly had John sharpen himself back up. The TV version seems to be based on Ennis' grungey makeover, only with better hygiene. Or is that the fabled Jenkins version? Still haven't read him. :]

I suppose Azzarello played a bit with the idea of Sexyjohn, but Azz's concept of male sexiness is basically 'a permanent nightmare rictus' and not much else

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the grin was in the script (because Azz wanted him to be a Joker analogue) or if it was added by the artist (because that was how Marcelo rolled)?

Sexyjohn was mostly in the Delano years; it kind of went away when Ennis started writing, and didn't really return until Diggle openly had John sharpen himself back up. The TV version seems to be based on Ennis' grungey makeover, only with better hygiene. Or is that the fabled Jenkins version? Still haven't read him. :]

I suppose Azzarello played a bit with the idea of Sexyjohn, but Azz's concept of male sexiness is basically 'a permanent nightmare rictus' and not much else

I don't think Ennis's Constantine was supposed to be grungey (well, outside of the stories where he's a homeless alcoholic), just kind of dressed down, with open collars and no suit jacket. That's mostly how Dillon draws him, I think. Jenkins's run is where John's clothes (and he himself) start to look more rumpled and worn in, and, as you say, that persists until Diggle's turn.

i believe he's already here but totally sworn to secrecy and/or commited to secrecy in the interest of people not constantly badgering the fuck out of him for this and that.

if i were his mate, no way i'd tell anyone on a message board. maybe to people i was actually friends with in every day life, but they'd probably already know, anyway.

Yeah, I know, you're right. But a boy can dream!

• Upvote 1