A. Heathen

Matt Ryan IS Johnny Constantine

Bt_eaJ4CAAAhLH9.png

This does feel right. He's sexy enough, which may not matter to most of you, but John should be an attractive guy because he clearly is in the comic.

I actually thought John was described as a bit of a worn out, man who looks like he goes through a lot of stress. I'm pretty sure the "sexy" is either from women who prefer a more matured taste, or depending on the artist.

Sexyjohn was mostly in the Delano years; it kind of went away when Ennis started writing, and didn't really return until Diggle openly had John sharpen himself back up. The TV version seems to be based on Ennis' grungey makeover, only with better hygiene. Or is that the fabled Jenkins version? Still haven't read him. :]

I suppose Azzarello played a bit with the idea of Sexyjohn, but Azz's concept of male sexiness is basically 'a permanent nightmare rictus' and not much else

I assumed this was the Sean Murphy version they were going for.

18.png

Good looking, charismatic and (superficially) charming- might not make an ideal life partner but it's not just the magic that attracts people to him.

He was only in his thirties when Hellblazer began, as he's aged in real time there'll be some wear & tear but he is an attractive character.

When he was made, he was modelled after Sting. This was the early 80s. Sting looked like this then:

sting_postcard_2.jpg

dune_lynch_sting.jpg

sting4.gif

If you ignore the 80s aesthetics, it's hard to say he's not an attractive fella.

• Upvote 1

It had to be the winged pants, didn't it?

But you're right, a right twat he may be now but Sting was indeed a sex symbol back then.

Like Red sed: Sting.

Wow, Constantine must have been really stoned in that Sean Murphy page. :wink:

"Lovely Feyd..." One of my Dark Souls characters was a tribute to that scene! http://i58.tinypic.com/bikryd.jpg His name's at top-left. ;)

And yeah, the grunge chic I was thinking of was only really present in Will Simpson's pencils. He often looked unshaven, rumple-clothed and slightly unwashed and dishevelled (and no, I don't just mean during his cancer year). Dillon drew him as sort of casually sharp. His living quarters were pretty grungy, though. Until Kit came along (and I'm sure that's why they were drawn this way), his flat looked like Gaz had sneaked in again. Lots of spilled beercans and such.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that constant mouth close-ups (usually grinning) are a major part of everything Azzarello does, regardless of the artist, so they're almost certainly in the scripts. It's like he saw the Rosebud scene and thought WHY WASN'T THE REST OF THE FILM DONE LIKE THIS? AND EVERY OTHER FILM? AND ALSO THINGS THAT AREN'T FILMS

Come to think of it, he may have directed

Come to think of it, he may have directed

oh my...

head-explode.gif

Someone actually made this thing!

since it's a reboot, i'm glad the sting thing isn't carried over. it's one of the 'canon' things i never cared for as i am not a fan of the sting. when he was with law enforcement, i didn't mind him, but as a p.i. never cared for him.

john in my mind's I was always bradstreet's version because he was cover artist when i started reading. but when i read jenkins run, i really liked Phillips' version. he looks like the one having the most fun as far as the way he was drawn, active and grinning.. and even though murphy's john is so drenched with his style, it's a great likeness for aging in real time john prior to cancellation. when manco took his time, his john was greatness but his art seemed rushed most of the time. and frusin's black eyed john was hardest for me to get used to. i really like corbin's john, too.

• Upvote 2

Haha, all these people in their Constantine outfits and him out of his, and he still Cons circles around the whole photo

• Upvote 4

Haha, all these people in their Constantine outfits and him out of his, and he still Cons circles around the whole photo

Truth.

i wish you could add a sound to a gif. he would squeak each time his mouth opened.

oh. no, i've drawn the line at any other social media sites. not one more, sez i.

The Moth Pit originated on Vine, if that helps.

It's an outlier though; most Vines are terrible.

(Which is of course true of every format ever, but Vine's heavy social aspect is particularly good at ensuring that shit floats to the top.)

It's like Twitter, but with seven-second fatuously guffy video clips rather than 140 character of fatuous guff.

Like Twitter for show-offs.