Sign in to follow this  
chamber

David Goyer speaks to the Hellblazer Nerds

more news

I AM Rogue caught up with NBC's Constantine pilot showrunner David S. Goyer to discuss where the project currently stands. In what will surely please comic book fans, Goyer revealed that Matt Ryan's (Layer Cake) Constantine will be true to the source material. Said Goyer, "We start shooting next week. Shooting the pilot. We only have four series regulars but we've cast them all now. I'm proud to say that Constantine is actually being played by a British guy. Matt Ryan and he is going to have blond hair." When asked if Ryan's version of the fan favorite comic book character will smoke, Goyer shared, "That's a tricky one on network TV. We're negotiating right now. He will have his signature trench coat and skinny tie. I would say that the show clings more closely to the source material then the film did. Even though the film was interesting."

Goyer went on to add that the series will be close to the Alan Moor run. "Yeah," confirmed Goyer, adding, "And quite a few other characters from the comic books and possibly from the DC universe should we move forward will be showing up."

Lastly, Goyer spoke about some of the supporting cast recently announced. "Harold Perrineau. He's amazing. He plays an angel but not the kind of angel from Touched by an Angel. He's fantastic. Charles Halford who plays Reggie Ledoux on True Detective. He plays Chas. I don't know if you know that character from the comic books. He's sort of Constantine's strong man/friend. Lucy Griffiths who is ... I don't want to say too much about her. She' s an amalgam of characters. Hopefully, touch wood, There will be another recurring character announced. Pretty cool actor who fans will know the character he plays from the comic books as well."

Yeah - it'd be a shame if that didn't make it into the TV version, just because unlike hair colour, or even Britishness, it really is quite an important aspect of the character (at the very least they'd probably struggle to do a decent adaptation of 'Dangerous Habits' without the cigs, and that story arc seems like it would be a bit of a gimme). Other than that, they seem to be making all the right noises about this. I remain cautiously optimistic.

• Upvote 1