Maybe they can do those gross-out anti-smoking TV commercials using Constantine! (The ones I have a very great fear are being paid for with tax-payer money...) That'd be a great way to get some of those advertisers.

"A pack of smokes, luv."

"That won't be enough."

"$8.50 for a pack of Marlboro's isn't enough? And, it's not even me brand! OK...OK...."

Pulls out a dagger and slits his wrist, filling up a chalice with blood.

"See you again." laughs the cashier.

What does a pack of cigarettes really cost you? Only your very soul!

• Upvote 4

OR Maybe they have Matt Ryan doing one one those "The More You Know" PSAs (for lung cancer of course) that NBC likes to use at the end of their "very special episodes." Of course they'd have to tie it into a Danger Habits based story.

I'd lose it. :laugh:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/constantine/30486/some-thoughts-on-nbcs-constantine-trailer

"he's got the English accent": LOL

"it's clear that he is attempting a predominantly Scouse accent.": what's that rolling on the floor one? I heard approximately no scouse.

Otherwise a dose of realism about what NBC want from the comic AND film audience.

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2014/05/15/accent-status-a-review-of-the-constantine-trailer/

"No reason for Ravenscar to look like Arkham Asylum": a little bit of a stretch, the incident was around 20 years ago, and also I have worked in places of that era. It looks more modern than that on the inside

"Business card": except that scene is funny.

"Character": There are plenty of examples of Constantine being a cheeky chappy. He's not all doom and gloom.

Accent quibbles: still yet to hear this complaint from a welsh person. Seriously, the Liverpool thing is only marginally important to his character, probably more important that he got out.

I tend to agree with the points after the bullet points, however.

It *is* a shame they have to change story material for no good reason.

I thought he started out Scouse ish, then I thought he sounded a bit Irish. I hear no Welsh.

I am not good with accents, though.

• Upvote 1

He is Welsh though, right? He was the voice of Edward Kenway in Assassin's Creed 4 (who was Welsh).

(stealing this) or they can show him about to light up or step outside for a smoke and not ever show him actually smoke. it can be a stock scene ender with john stepping outside to nick a fag or whatever the vernacular is and cut to next scene.

• Upvote 1

It's the standard US TV Northern English accent, as seen by everyone but the Lannisters on Game of Thrones.

Not sure how I'm feeling bout this. I'm excited to see he looks and acts closer to the John I fell in love with in the books. But something isn't clicking right to me. It looks a bit too glossy and action packy.

I'm with you there, Greg. It's like, we're almost there, but something is missing.

That something doesn't seem to be an audience! It's bloody surreal seeing a Hellblazer-related video get 7.3 million views. My brain can't quite process it.

• Upvote 2

I'm with you there, Greg. It's like, we're almost there, but something is missing.

Heh. To think I first came here due to the movie and was one of the only ones praising the film, lol.

Guest Nick Neko

That is amazing! I want to see all those TV shows.

The alternate reality where Victor Hugo created the lost world genre with The Hunchback.

Zizek finally writing something worth reading again, as he describes his "war on Green Goblin" that will subvert the Capitalist orders "war on terror".

Awesome!

Guest Guest

Supernatural exorcist John Constantine dives into the realms of horror and wastes his life alongside George, Elaine, and Kramer in this irreverent show about nothing.

Him lighting a Silk Cut for instance. He also doesn't have enough edge.

Still, just saw this and am cautiously excited.

He also doesn't have enough edge.

That's it, I think. Seems too nice. And NBC won't let him have too much of an edge. And is John really seeking redemption with God? Doesn't seem very JC like.

Been thinking about this some more. One of the annoying conceits from the film they seem to have kept is the whole "being able to see what is REALLY around you" thing. What worked for me best about the comic was the "any [over-used word] can do it" part of magic. John's just this con guy who does it, nothing special about him beyond that. And the best story lines weren't IMO him facing off against big supernatural bad guys (lets face it, Ennis' First of the Fallen was a joke), but how people, normal people, could be horrible cruel bastards, and the magic was just a means (or not even, see The Family Guy). Newcastle was partly about a botched exorcism, sure, but it was really about child sexual abuse and the depravity of some adults. And even Nergal eventually became a joke.

• Upvote 3

I have NFI why my copy pasta from another forum is bolded like that

Could one of our Brits please weigh in and tell me where his accent places him? Doesn't sound Scouse, but I only know one (plus the Beatles of course) so my sample size is limited. Doesn't really sound anywhere, like the vaguely BBC English of Tennant from Doctor Who.

Will now go read the rest of the thread and see who previously answered this

e. Mark, Ade, Jason, and Pooka, thanks!

It's not the way he'd sound based on the comic - less Liverpudlian, more Welsh - but that isn't a problem for me. Assuming he gets the rest right, which is hard to judge from a couple of isolated snippets, I think it'll work.

Yeah, he definitely needs some more edge; he's a wee bit cuddly - kind of David Tennant in Doctor Who. I'd prefer more David Tennant in Broadchurch. Maybe not quite that far, but even Keanusteen was more cool bastard and less TV eccentric

Been thinking about this some more. One of the annoying conceits from the film they seem to have kept is the whole "being able to see what is REALLY around you" thing. What worked for me best about the comic was the "any [over-used word] can do it" part of magic. John's just this con guy who does it, nothing special about him beyond that. And the best story lines weren't IMO him facing off against big supernatural bad guys (lets face it, Ennis' First of the Fallen was a joke), but how people, normal people, could be horrible cruel bastards, and the magic was just a means (or not even, see The Family Guy). Newcastle was partly about a botched exorcism, sure, but it was really about child sexual abuse and the depravity of some adults. And even Nergal eventually became a joke.

Which is why I'm afraid about them using the plots from Hellblazer. They need to be used for good, not evil, but I fear they will be used for evil.

Like, we saw that the events of Newcastle are being raised, but I'm afraid it's going to be turned in to a simplistic exorcism story, where John tries to save the girl, but fails, and the demon gets her...so, John feels terrible that he was unable to use his magical powers to save the girl. I think the nuance may be cut from the whole story, and they'll boil it down to simplistic "good versus evil".

Although, to be fair, Hellblazer strayed more and more from this description as the book went along. By the time of Carey, we started seeing more world-saving stories, and then we saw more and more supernatural threats and recurring villains, rather than the quiet-horrors from a lot of the stories of the Delano years. There's 300 issues of Hellblazer to pick from as to what best represents a Hellblazer story, and they probably aren't going to spend a lot of time dwelling on the tone of the stories that took place over 25 years ago now.

• Upvote 1

Even sticking purely to John's role and forgetting the nightmarish true-to-life parts of it (which I agree are by far the most haunting), the Newcastle story desperately needs the 'bloody saint' moment to work. The ignorant arrogance that makes the whole thing completely his own fault, with Nergal just taking advantage. The trailer does sound a bit like he's just haunted by a failed mission. Not completely, though; there's still room for it to have the same intrigue, so I'll remain hopeful.

Keep in mind that it is being run by Goyer of course, who is one of the most conservative fellaters of the status quo in the entire industry*, so that hope isn't burning too brightly.

*the people are a dangerous ignorant mass; luckily we have heroes who see how things really are and do the necessary. This seems pretty opposite to the spirit of the comics, though I suppose Delano gave John lines very, very similar to this. But yeah, there's no way that the 'any [over-used word] can do it' angle is going to be in the show. And if it is, I'll bet $5 that it's in the context of dilettantes being put in their place by the master magician.