The two leads pictured at the NBC upfronts, not sure if Matt Ryan is in character of it it just comes natural to the boy...

tumblr_n5ydliy5JS1tbigq4o6_500.png

I think I might also look smug in that situation.

I haven't seen Hanibal, but isn't that show rather edgy and dark? Seems inconsistent to let Hanibal have his dark and evil little way but not let our boy, John get down and dirty. What I mean to say is Hanibal set a dark/edgy precedent for NBC, so there's no reason to think our John will get softied up.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen Hanibal, but isn't that show rather edgy and dark? Seems inconsistent to let Hanibal have his dark and evil little way but not let our boy, John get down and dirty. What I mean to say is Hanibal set a dark/edgy precedent for NBC, so there's no reason to think our John will get softied up.

Especially on a 10pm timeslot after the watershed

i don't understand that bit of subculture. it does not fit into my understanding of what entertainment constitutes. it's a motion selfie.

• Upvote 3

i don't understand that bit of subculture. it does not fit into my understanding of what entertainment constitutes. it's a motion selfie.

I hope I don't understand it - I hope it isn't the normative circle-jerk it seems to be. Giving cameras to everyone should have empowered people almost to the point of revolution, instead of this facile contest for who can be the best consumer*. I'm sure there's a 'reactionary' pun to be made here. Note the MTV editing to remove any unfortunate moments of thought or hesitance or humanity or

I'm sorry, I'll stop; admittedly I'm inclined to hate this craze purely because it's something that exists in the world. But I mean... how can six minutes of uninterrupted talking heads not feature any self-expression whatsoever? It's almost a perverse kind of achievement. You can see why I hope there's something I'm just not getting.

Despite all this, I genuinely am glad to see a non-HB fan getting excited. If I'd seen this play out in real life it'd probably make my day! But in the guise of entertainment, yeah: grim.

*a fan message board is probably a silly place to say this

• Upvote 1

Guest Nick Neko

A message board includes the inclusive nature of having a discussion amongst equals, and on a wide variety of topics many times.

This seems to be about celebrity culture, that everyone feels they can be a star and stroke their egos.

I hope (let me preface that) that no one feels they're a celebrity and have something very important to say that everyone cares about on a message forum. One opinion is worth as much as any other, so long as its not backed up by facts presented through Wikipedia.

Society of the spectacle, indeed.

It was worth seeing the woman's reactions.

Yeah, you're probably right; it's celebrity. Less about being heard, more about being seen to be heard.

As for my very important thoughts; I dunno. I do feel like what I say is important, but... for me. And that's true of everything I write in any format: it's important that I said it. More than anything, I want people to say their bit in return. Discourse is a wonderful thing; it's why I lurked for so long before signing up here: it was happening already! Way more fun to read that than to issue my own statements. My fan-board comment was silly, really - there's not a single person here who's ever tried to 'out-Hellblazer fan' anyone else. Non-comparison.

I have to admit my stomach knotted a bit at the 'everyone thinks they can be a star' comment, since it sounds a lot like the sit-down-and-shut-up mentality that supports celebrity culture by only allowing self-expression to the elite few - but I know that's a misreading. The emphasis was star; the voice that matters more than the rest. And everything's better when there's no such thing.

I do sometimes wonder whether my impassioned ravings make me a hypocrite, since they're often opinionated to the point of sheer brutality: but I think the main point of my indignation is to remind myself and others that it's okay to think these things. I know how horrible it feels to be 'in the wrong' about everything, and what a help an outspoken misfit can be. Even if they look stupid in the process. So I don't think I'm a celebrity, I think I'm the messiah.

• Upvote 2

Well, watching people's reactions can be as rewarding as watching their actions. But like any other form of entertainment, there has to be quality control. Ryan's reaction to the Constanteen trailer held no entertainment value at all for me. He appeared to be speaking for the sake of it. Imagine going to the cinema with him. At least Veronica had enough class to shut TF up.

The only line I liked, at 2:15: "You done fucked up Constanteen."

Edited by JasonT
  • Upvote 2

Gwilym-I'd say it's more this mentality that you can be a star simply for being famous, rather than having to work at it and do anything to show actual talent.

The cult of celebrity says that some one is to be envied simply because they are part of the spectacle, rather than for what they're actually saying or doing.

Jason-Is that, "You done fucked up, Constanteen." or "You done fucked up Constanteen."?

• Upvote 1

Guest Gillian

Strange thing is, if they indeed won't show him smoking on the screen, why they show him drinking in that trailer?

throw caution to the wind, red. embrace it for everything it is and everything it isn't! amen.

Guest chamber

Is that a pack of cigs and a lighter I see on the table in that trailer :wink: