Christian

Constantine - At last, an issue worth reading.

^^^I'm with Lou.

The sales have fallen fast compared to Hellblazer's in the circa Azzarello to Milligan the Terrible (and in slow pace, mind) and no one crossover or a Nick Necro appearance can save it. Herr Didio needs to wake up and smell the Silk Cut: The book is destined to fail and cancelling a long running series wasn't worth it.

• Upvote 1

#16-One thing you can say for Constantine is that I like the covers.

Wow! This was actually a pretty decent story, to some extent. The artwork is better too.

John is in Germany. The story-telling still needs a lot of work, of course....there's these werewolves, see, but they're part of the Cult of the Cold Flame....them again! Geez, it's getting annoying. Which is like a werewolf on Scooby Doo, you see, not just a werewolf, oh no, it must be a werewolf ghost! Just ignore that. It's a disjointed story...to much going on, and not enough of it interesting. Boiling it down to the bare bits, it's a pretty decent Hellblazer story though. This book really is infuriating, as it doesn't need to be a bad comic.

I'm pretty sure it goes like this. Ray Fawkes writes a straight-forward script. Sends it to DC. Dan DiDio reads it, "What's this? A werewolf story-line with a twist ending? No. This is far too straight-forward. We need more Cult of the Cold Flame and references to the DCU. I'll just throw those in to the story, and take out the back-plot from the script. Perfect."

Oh, and John Constantine dies at the end of this issue. The End.

^^^I'm with Lou.

The sales have fallen fast compared to Hellblazer's in the circa Azzarello to Milligan the Terrible (and in slow pace, mind) and no one crossover or a Nick Necro appearance can save it. Herr Didio needs to wake up and smell the Silk Cut: The book is destined to fail and cancelling a long running series wasn't worth it.

The thing is, DC doesn't seem to care, and I just don't understand it. They haven't even tried to put another writer on the book to try to boost sales. It's like they don't care that the book is failing, but they have a TV show coming on, so why do they not care? I can't figure that out.

Well, maybe no other writer will touch the book, considering the job description involves, "Long running Cult of the Cold Flame plot-line that nobody cares about".

Hellblazer would have been canceled, regardless, though. I believe this was the only way we were going to see John Constantine again. If Constantine the TV show doesn't get a second season, I expect that John Constantine will disappear from comic books for a long time.

To put this in perspective, Constantine, on the verge of cancellation, is still selling nearly 10,000 more copies than Hellblazer at the end, and HB's sales had been pretty stagnant for a while, it wasn't just Milligan.

There wasn't anything inherently wrong with cancelling Hellblazer. The book had gotten very bad by the end (Milligan), so it's not like it was a total loss. It could have been turned around, yes, but so could a new series. If DC had relaunched Constantine and actually allowed the book to be somewhat of a decent read, it wouldn't be so bad, but instead DC seems to be pushing Constantine to fail.

Adrian-Can you change the title of this thread to just Constantine? All the discussions of the monthly issues can take place in this thread...well, not much in the way of discussion, since only like four people read the damn thing.

TV John will be all the John I need 13 eppys or more. The 52 version is just the We Jack Off to the Superfriends! Club's idea of him

ooooh, the reason new 52 John Constanteen, Heckblazer sucks is because of a spell cast on John by Zatanna! that's why! as soon as John breaks the spell, the new 52 Constanteen will become Hellblazer once again - like the frog prince!

except now he's dead, poor sod.

ooooh, the reason new 52 John Constanteen, Heckblazer sucks is because of a spell cast on John by Zatanna! that's why! as soon as John breaks the spell, the new 52 Constanteen will become Hellblazer once again - like the frog prince!

except now he's dead, poor sod.

Don't be daft, he's in a pub in Liverpool because of Gemma.

And also this is one of Rosacarnis's lives that she created to get revenge on him.

And he's drunk.

• Upvote 2

Because of Christian's rave review I decided to give this issue a look.

It is a better story, and better drawn than most I have read, and it would ve vastly improved by excising references to the Cold Flame and the Trademark Friendly Villainous Wolfpack.

But there, on page 3 is the simple most promising line in a DCU 52 comic ever:

"Spending time with costumes, brawling with dangerous types, right out in the open... and for what? Not for me."

Shame the emphasis is on "me" not on "not" but it's a start.

• Upvote 1

no, I meant at the end of this issue.

didn't he get killed on the last page?

as long as the cold flame exists it will suck and that seems to be its defining antagonist.

Killed?

How naive to the world of comics, you sound.

That wolf bloke's gonna make a new Constantine out of wood.

And you know what that means ...

He'll be able to defeat the GOLDEN AGE GREEN LANTERN !!!

Gepetto? A wolf?

He's like the Phoenix, from Marvel. He will rise from the ashes!

Although, hopefully not if Adrian's guess is correct, as that would be bad for him.

Actually, check out the solicitations for next month's issue online. DC gives away what happens to John. The ending is apparently not what it looks like.

Huh. A blank screen. I can make a lot out of that with my imagination.

Unless this was a social experiment, it's not showing up on my screen.

Ah, now I see it.

Ugly picture, moderately amusing concept, given he should have a tree tattooed on his arse.

Is it actually from Justice Leg of Mutton?

Based on what I've read in preivews, Future's End is that multiple years in the future, Brother Eye has managed to turn nearly all the Earth's superheroes into cyborgs, so that he can control them. Brother Eye has effectively taken over Earth. The Batman of the future (Batman Beyond from the cartoons), one of the few heroes to not be infected by Brother Eye yet, creates a time machine and travels back to just five years in the DCU's future to try to change events.

Basically, it's Terminator.

Based on what I've read in preivews, Future's End is that multiple years in the future, Brother Eye has managed to turn nearly all the Earth's superheroes into cyborgs, so that he can control them. Brother Eye has effectively taken over Earth. The Batman of the future (Batman Beyond from the cartoons), one of the few heroes to not be infected by Brother Eye yet, creates a time machine and travels back to just five years in the DCU's future to try to change events.

Basically, it's Terminator.

that is remarkably silly. terry building a time machine, wtf?

oh and yeah writing john in such a storyline seems like it is just fucked up. i can cope with a lot, like i actually like the constantine film enough to watch it roundabout 20 times by now :D. but come on, how shall i deal with a guy who somewhat conned god, being outsmarted by a fucking manmade ai???? oh wait he isn't that guy, he is the guy who cannot lie if he cannot do the magic stuff.