Christian

Constantine - At last, an issue worth reading.

How appropriate. Constantine goes out with a whimper. Sure, it's coming back after the cross-over, but hopefully that won't be the New 52 version. I'm sure it's not. A final issue with very little to do with the character of Constantine after spending a few months wasting time on Earth 2. Good enough.

I dunno, I appreciated Fawkes not even bothering to mention the Cold Flame flotsam and just finish his story at hand. I liked the Earth 2 arc, easily the best the book has ever been (though I admit to be damning it with very faint praise).

How appropriate. Constantine goes out with a whimper. Sure, it's coming back after the cross-over, but hopefully that won't be the New 52 version. I'm sure it's not. A final issue with very little to do with the character of Constantine after spending a few months wasting time on Earth 2. Good enough.

Just how it started, too (#1 sales be damned)

I thought it was a nice way to tie up the series, back at the point where the series started it's story, but following on from six months of excellent story telling as opposed to four years of shite.

The single Hellblazer-esque action of the entire two years is Constantine sacrificing people, pissing off people, and having a fatalistic "this is what I do".

He did this in the midst of a great big fuck off crossover with barely a glimpse at the hordes of superheroes.

And he duped Darkseid.

• Upvote 1

you think you are a big bad motherfucker... a god even? haaaave you met john c.?

John Constantine . . . Yes. He dances on the edge of the known, like a crazy man, pitting himself against heaven and the pit, because he is John Constantine; and because he is alive.

OK, looking at the issue again, I see the point, although it wasn't what I wanted in a final Constantine story. I guess I was just burned that we've had two final issues of a John Constantine comic in four years, and neither one did justice to the character of John Constantine. I wasn't as much of a fan of the Earth 2 story as most seemed to be. I found one issue to be good, and the rest to be just pointless. Maybe it was better than the mess that was the Cold Flame, but I didn't really care for either plot.

I see now that, yes, John outsmarted Darkseid (a big bad in DC lore) and saved some people from a dying world, so that's a pretty big way to go out for a book skirting the superhero realm.

I did like the element of pointing out why John is not a superhero, and that John will sacrifice 100 people to save a 1,000 people. Makes sense, and points to some of the absurdity in most superhero books. I guess that having to spell out at the vety end why John Constantine isn't a superhero was sort of annoying, rather than letting the plotting tell the story-element.

There was room for a good story in there with Earth-2 John, what was on the page just wasn't what I wanted to see. After the Cold Flame mess I should have known the book wasn't going where I wanted anyway. I would have liked to see a nice character piece to end the Constantine series. I guess the confrontation between John and his alternate father was as close as this series was going to get to heavy characterization.

Here's hoping for something more akin to Hellblazer in the new series, and less grounded in the DCU.

He did this in the midst of a great big fuck off crossover with barely a glimpse at the hordes of superheroes.

And he duped Darkseid.

and that was better than milligan's run.