Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

The Continuing Story of Hellblazer

Inspired by Christian's thoughts on Constantine #14

If anyone is interested, I have an "in story" no-prize reason for JC 52 being a dick and a loser.

You remember that gun that Gemma shot him with?

It sent him into a sort of purgatory, where he does not remember any of the good things about his life.

And stupid superheroes keep lecturing him about his behaviour.

In fact, I also have an "in-story" no-prize reason for Hellblazer being so bad after Milligan's first arc.

It is that everything since Rosacarnis and the Triplets of Evil has taken place in one or other of her alternate reality lives. Some of those gave him contentment and closure, while others were less successful. And 'Phany was in fact Rosacarnis, getting what she wanted all along,

until Gemma saved the day.

I hope this helps.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, the Rosacarnis thing occurred to me too. :hattip:

I don't have statistics, but I bet we're not the only readers to mull over ways the Milligan era could be erased if Hellblazer returned.

• Upvote 1

And I am prepared to sacrifice Scab and Andy Diggle's run to the same principle even though I liked those stories.

Awesome!

I just like Constantine being somehow still in-continuity, following on the heels of Hellblazer #300. Yeah, I don't care if we lose Milligan and Diggle, as they weren't good (Milligan being outright awful)...but it was still HB, at least.

Yes, this is John's version of Hell. Stuck being around superheroes all the time. Having a suburban middle class upbringing. Having to find some idiot named Nick Necro (who looks like a certain version of himself from a certain awful movie) to teach him magic and introduce him to the world of trenchcoats.

It all makes sense now.

• Upvote 1

who is this Milligan about which you folks ramble? Hellblazer ended with issue #231, In at the Deep End, even though I have a mysterious traded volume called Joyride, it must be like All His Engines or summink.

• Upvote 1

Then you missed out on all the goodness of Hellblazer #250. It had Jamie Delano and a China Mieville story. You really missed out,

• Upvote 3

look, if you didn't know i was kidding -

i read them all and the sad part of excluding Milligan is you have to exclude Bisley, too. And who wants to do that? when he was the featured artist, he dragged Milligan around with him. in faact, Bisley's art made the Bloody Carnations arc better than it was.

Also, I like to think that Suicide Bridge is an old story that has a little prediction of the future, rather than a contemporary flashback.

This helps me.

• Upvote 3

Oh yes...Suicide Bridge...if only Epiphany didn't show up for that little bit in that story, we could file it earlier in our collection as a flashback story.

It's a shame that Milligan couldn't write an entire run like Suicide Bridge. We would praise him rather than damn him.

• Upvote 3

Oh yes...Suicide Bridge...if only Epiphany didn't show up for that little bit in that story, we could file it earlier in our collection as a flashback story.

It's a shame that Milligan couldn't write an entire run like Suicide Bridge. We would praise him rather than damn him.

In a perfect world..... That annual proved he could do better than the throw shit on the wall route he took. The only sad part of it all is he just didn't want to do better and Karen and Shelly allowed it much to our chagrin.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Rosacarnis thing occurred to me too. :hattip:

I don't have statistics, but I bet we're not the only readers to mull over ways the Milligan era could be erased if Hellblazer returned.

Then there's the last demonic offspring standing: Maria.

All of these have given me story ideas. Here's a blurb I wrote just now:

Back From The Brink (2 parter):

Story blurb: As we last saw John Constantine, he was shot in the head with a magic fueled dart courtesy of his niece Gemma only to find himself living an ordinary life. Or is it?.... When someone on the outside discovers what has been happening and the truth behind it all, the wheels are set in motion to prevent Constantine’s return to reality. Question is, will he wise up to it before its too late?

• Upvote 1