Tony B.

Liverpool for beginners

Ok so help me out. When I see 'Scouse' the only things that come to mind are the Beatles and Dave Lister. Is that even accurate? What is an example that a hillbilly like myself would know?

Ok so help me out. When I see 'Scouse' the only things that come to mind are the Beatles and Dave Lister. Is that even accurate? What is an example that a hillbilly like myself would know?

Phillip Olivier does a scouse accent for Hex in the Doctor Who audios. That's the another example outside of the Beatles, Lister and the Enfield skit posted above.

maybe it's best not to use a liverpool accent. like scottish accents, it would wind up being subtitled so american audiences would understand it. AND that would kill it because us audiences don'y like to read their tvs. were you folks aware that both Snatch and Trainspotting were subtitled in the theater for the US theaters they were shown? (i shit you not, citizens of Britain)

Trainspotting was probably subtitled in London.

We used to watch Rab C Nesbitt with subtitles for an extra laugh.

• Upvote 1

How could I forget Mr. Balowski? "Mistah Poo-Poo Goes to the Lavatry!"

I've read that the first twenty minutes of Trainspotting was redubbed with softer accents for the American release to acclimatize US viewers. I only remember subtitles being used in the club scene.

my video store specialized in the actual released films. it was a decade before i realized the US version of Brazil had a sorry hollywood ending because i missed it in US theaters and the version i got at my cool video store was the proper version of Terry Gilliam's vision. i still haven't seen the US ending, either. Everyone says it sucks and it's why Brazil bombed here until it became a "cult classic." I've come to realize cult classic means retroactive greatness, something ahead of its time. stuff not appreciated when it's new because it's still strange to pablum fed audiences. only after it exists and becomes "cult classic" will reviewers revise history to say they always loved this or that.

^There was also the strange "happy ending" to Blade Runner, that made no sense.

Hey, I just noticed that Clive Barker is from Liverpool too. John is in good company, eh? That's Ramsey Campbell's birthplace, and he often sets his stories in Liverpool.

that's right. I saw that one in the theater and was pissed. we actually demanded our money back because it wasn't the ending we expected. we didn't get our money back.

no no, pissed as in angry, not drunk. i should have said that better.