Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Sexuality your laws do not apply to me

Ghz26mU.png

really? That's this toddler's (and 21 of his friends) make or break? He's bisexual so John Constantine has to be bisexual or the show isn't worth watching? Look, at first, I thought these kids were cute going on and on about their bisexuality and how it made them feel good to see John and Stanley Manor kiss during Azz's run. But it's ALL they EVER fucking talk about. And if John isn't bisexual, the show will suck. No, kids, the show might suck, but if it does, it won't be because John isn't bisexual. That doesn't even break the top 25 reasons why it will or won't suck. Give it a rest, geez!

• Upvote 3

I guess they'll be happy if John just casually in a conversation says, "I've slept with a man too, you know?", because they seem to have been happy with the comic book never actually showing that John is bi-sexual for the vast majority of its existence.

The Manor thing was way too sick for any one to take that as a positive portrayal of John's bi-sexuality (and was more about Azzarello making a point about Batman and Joker than anything else, in the end). So, we have one brief scene in one issue to stake the entirety of John being bi-sexual within the entire 300 issues of HB, the John Smith story.

It's hardly a large part of John's characterization in the comics.

• Upvote 2

I guess they'll be happy if John just casually in a conversation says, "I've slept with a man too, you know?", because they seem to have been happy with the comic book never actually showing that John is bi-sexual for the vast majority of its existence.

The Manor thing was way too sick for any one to take that as a positive portrayal of John's bi-sexuality (and was more about Azzarello making a point about Batman and Joker than anything else, in the end). So, we have one brief scene in one issue to stake the entirety of John being bi-sexual within the entire 300 issues of HB, the John Smith story.

It's hardly a large part of John's characterization in the comics.

All you can do it sit back, point and laugh at the gullible fools who take a mere throwaway line seriously only to have egg on their faces when they get defensive and pissy over being corrected

You can't blame LGBT people for jumping on John Constantine as a positive portrayal of a bi-sexual character in a comic book.

For years and years, they had Northstar as the only positive portrayal of a homosexual major character in comic books to point to as relatable.

"Are there any gay role models in mainstream comic books? Any at all?" "Well...yeah...there's Northstar...sigh..." "Who?"

And, even he never even had a relationship with another man until within the past five years!

You can see why someone facing such lack of diversity would jump all over a cool character like John Constantine as relatable....even if he seemed to spend 99% of his sex life sleeping with females.

You can't blame LGBT people for jumping on John Constantine as a positive portrayal of a bi-sexual character in a comic book.

For years and years, they had Northstar as the only positive portrayal of a homosexual major character in comic books to point to as relatable.

"Are there any gay role models in mainstream comic books? Any at all?" "Well...yeah...there's Northstar...sigh..." "Who?"

And, even he never even had a relationship with another man until within the past five years!

You can see why someone facing such lack of diversity would jump all over a cool character like John Constantine as relatable....even if he seemed to spend 99% of his sex life sleeping with females.

What about Mystique and Destiny?

That was more recent too. Claremont was only allowed to hint at it, although you know he really wanted to develop that.

You can definitely count me among the supporters of LGBTanstine; it's the fact that it's a complete throwaway line with no bearing on the character that makes it so great! I mean, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

And yeah, that tweet (or whatever it is) is an extreme case, but I don't think there's any hint of it being the deal-breaker for them. I mean, technically I'm rather pissed that TV John's not Liverpudlian, chain-smoking, or under the command of Jamie Delano. But I suspect from your words that this isn't the first bit of fanaticism they've shown on the subject.

Either way, I agree it's pushing a minor thing to undue prominence. Retweet if you'll be outraged by TV John not drinking banana Nesquik. And that's something that appears in three frames, so it's three times as important.

• Upvote 1

the midnighter and apollo have been "out" since the late 1990s.

just from the comics, i wouldn't necessarily consider John a positive role model forbisexuality or homosexuality or even heterosexuality.

• Upvote 2

It's not about positive or negative role models, it's about basic acknowledgement of bisexuality's existence. There's bugger-all in the way of decent depictions of bisexuality in the media (male bisexuality, in particular, is just about non-existent, and female bisexuality is played almost exclusively for titillation), and when it does turn up its usually in the form of a clumsy Revelation Of Great Significance rather than just, you know, the fact of who a person happens to fancy regardless of their relationship status at the time.

So of course we're going to be fucking delighted whenever it's mentioned that a character is bi without it immediately a character-defining element. It doesn't have to form a major part of that character's life, not least because, for good or ill, quite a lot of bi people out here in the real world actually are close to invisible (just because you settle into a comfortable gay or straight relationship doesn't mean you instantly stop being bisexual, but it does mean that most people can't see it at all unless you make a point of mentioning it occasionally*). But it's nice to get the occasional reminder that yes, we do actually exist as something other than a plot point.

All of which said, I'd be astonished (pleased, but astonished) if that one time Constantine mentioned having had a couple of boyfriends will make it into the show as a character trait, and I don't think that actually matters much at all. But I don't think it's too surprising, or too unreasonable, that there are people out there for whom this is actually a bigger deal than it would otherwise appear to be.

* In which case, of course, you're either playing into the stereotype by "making an ostentatious load of drama out of it", or it'll be interpreted as "just a phase you were going through". But hey, baby steps.