Mick

Constantine Pilot 1.0 Leaked - SPOILERS

I heard hype of a film im ashamed to say but i din't see anything about it and read hellblazer, to this day i love both the comic and the film. Although after i read the comic i refused to see the film but caught it on dvd and loved it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Astra and Newcastle both mentioned within the first two minutes!

I'm a nasty piece of work, ask anybody.

First lighter sighting at 15 minutes, an over-abundance at attempted jump scares and an ill-advised pair of shades aside this has been pretty good so far.

Um...guess Chas only survived 22 minutes worth of the TV programme, rough break mate!

Ritchie Simpson! Good bit of John The Proper Bastard there.

Chas! What ?!?

Nergal!

Cigarette! Being put out, not smoked, but you take what you can get.

DAT ENDING - YES!

As forty five minutes of John Constantine I thought that was mainly pretty great, too close to the source to try and give a neutral view.

• Upvote 1

Liv's dad's last name was Winters....That wouldn't be Baron Winters or a variation of him do you reckon?

That and even in the pilot we get a rare occasion where our boy drives. Remember kids, Gaiman started it and Carey (and that hack Fawkes) continued the rare tradition

Review time from moi!

The good:

-Matt Ryan nails ol' Conjob's characterization they way old Planky* never could

-Ravenscar in London as opposed to the States as I originally assumed

-"Piggy" Huntoon

-Newcastle, Astra, and Nergal

-First of the Fallen namedrop

-Helmet of Fate

-Ritchie Simpson

-The last line being a variation of the one from Dangerous Habits part 1 (#41)

The Bad:

-Not enough minutes to flesh out the whole plot

-Not enough lines for Chas. Though we'll hear more in the following episodes.

Chas's "death". Of course we'll see him again. the GlobalTV trailer gave it away

-Coat needs to be longer but whatever

-Merging Judith's pill popping characterization from ST #37 with Ritchie's

The 'ang on a minute!...

John driving. Bare in mind its a rare occasaion since it began with Neil Gaiman in the secon issue of the Books of Magic mini followed by one panel in HB #180 when John drove to retrieve his niece Gemma from Dominic Fredricks then, the recent issue from the New 52 series continuies the odd occasion

Rating: 7/10

*Yes by Planky I meant Keanu

He did show he was unsure of himself while driving during Books of Magic. He wanted Tim to drive first...who was too young to drive. Unlike in Constantine, where he's shown driving with no problems.

Maybe those rare few instances made him understand enough that he can now drive fine.

He did show he was unsure of himself while driving during Books of Magic. He wanted Tim to drive first...who was too young to drive. Unlike in Constantine, where he's shown driving with no problems.

Maybe those rare few instances made him understand enough that he can now drive fine.

Yeah but he'll always prefer others to drive him about whether its Chas, Kev or random strangers

More faithful to hellblazer than I thought it would be. For a pilot episode it was ok.

Enjoyed the name drops and appearances of characters from the comic.

Matt Ryan could really grow into the role.

• Upvote 1

Well it wouldn't be perfect, but that was clear from the start. But what I am reading here... to quote archer 'i have a huge throbbing erection right now'.

I am about to roll it, so my comments will be in real time to me, except that I won't post this til it's done. I probably will answer any questions i ask, if any. "Eeeeeee" is a squeal of delight.

Opening shot on Ravenscar. Good.

"I'm an exorcist" Does he ever make that claim anywhere else? I thought he was an "occult detective."

Newcastle! Yes! "Astra, her name is Astra!" eeeeeee!

John follows cockroaches around? Our boy is a bug lover! No, of course bugs lead to demons.

I still giggled at "bollocks."

Atlanta? Why not Irving, geez!

added "in bed" to fortune cookie. that's an oldie and a goodie.

cheesy runes on the security data pad. dumb!

Liz's demon scene runs too long.

"what" and "it" are the same, aren't they?

Manny the angel.

"No offense, Squire -" John said. plus plus!

Did he say "fuck off?"

"Um, officer? Do you think the murderer might have carved this eyeball in my door?"

OK, nice touch with the graffitti screams.

I think it's cool that John can't see the souls but is aware she can. seems hellblazerish.

ghost train. that's an old west tall tale.

oh no, they listen to Social Distortion? a mid-level 90s band? in 2014?

wait, Chas is a yank? no no no.

yay, Astra! but no Astra's arm. tsk tsk.

Chas gets axed in the pilot? holy shit!

the keys to the House of Mystery?

helmet of fate. "put that down, luv."

an electric demon. i guess Nergal was too much to hope for.

of course, John has to drive, they done kilt off Chas. (by the way, for those keeping score Hollywood 2, Chas(z) 0.)

Manny is annoying at first but funny. ("Was I right?") His contacts are stupid.

First of the Fallen mentioned! Eeeeeeee!

Ritchie! Eeeeeeeee!

"I need your help, old son!"

John is a bastard! Eeeeeee! "It would be a real shame..." good.

Ritchie said "Nergal." So it WAS Nergal at Newcastle! Quite cool!

Chas lived! Oh, no, he has survival skills? That sounds like it might turn silly in the future.

Awesome rooftop sex ruse.

John has a cellphone?

Papa C blames John for the death of his mother. Eeeeeeee!

Ritchie can take down a power grid? That makes him a terrorist!

Don't believe the demon, John!

Oh, no! "I'm coming for Astra AND Nergal!" Straight from the WWF

The Newcastle story is close to being faithful.

OK, there's John putting out a cig at the start of the scene from which the cigs, ashtray and zippo image came.

So, it's the John/Liv Scrying Game? Is that the basis of this show?

That last monologue and scene with John was spot on and way off, to me.

Also, I was curious about the Triangle of Solomon, so here's what the wiki said -

The Lesser Key of Solomon, also known as the Clavicula Salomonis Regis or Lemegeton, is an anonymous grimoire (or spell book) focused on demonology. It was compiled in the mid-seventeenth century, mostly from materials a couple of centuries older

It is divided into five books, the Ars Goetia, the Ars Theurgia-Goetia, the Ars Paulina, the Ars Almadel, and the Ars Notoria.

The second most important tool for the Conjuring Magician next to the Magical Circle. The Triangle of Solomon is used in conjunction with the Magic Circle. It is to sit outside the Magic Circle just a few feet away. (example)

It is used in the Conjuring of the Demonic or Celestial/Angelic spirits. It is in this Triangle that they will appear and are forced to obey because it has 3 Sacred names of God - Tetragrammaton, Primeumaton, and Anaphaxeton one on each side and it has the name Michael (Archangel Michael) which is split into 3 sections MI - CHA - EL. This contains the spirit from escaping and compels them to obey.

the 72 demons

1. King Bael
  2. Duke Agares
  3. Prince Vassago
  4. Marquis Samigina
  5. President Marbas
  6. Duke Valefor
  7. Marquis Amon
  8. Duke Barbatos
  9. King Paimon
  10. President Buer
  11. Duke Gusion
  12. Prince Sitri
  13. King Beleth
  14. Marquis Leraje
  15. Duke Eligos
  16. Duke Zepar
  17. Count/President Botis
  18. Duke Bathin
  19. Duke Sallos
  20. King Purson
  21. Count/President Marax
  22. Count/Prince Ipos
  23. Duke Aim
  24. Marquis Naberius
  25. Count/President Glasya-Labolas
  26. Duke Buné
  27. Marquis/Count Ronové
  28. Duke Berith
  29. Duke Astaroth
  30. Marquis Forneus
  31. President Foras
  32. King Asmoday
  33. Prince/President Gäap
  34. Count Furfur
  35. Marquis Marchosias
  36. Prince Stolas
  37. Marquis Phenex
  38. Count Halphas
  39. President Malphas
  40. Count Räum
  41. Duke Focalor
  42. Duke Vepar
  43. Marquis Sabnock
  44. Marquis Shax
  45. King/Count Viné
  46. Count Bifrons
  47. Duke Vual
  48. President Haagenti
  49. Duke Crocell
  50. Knight Furcas
  51. King Balam
  52. Duke Alloces
  53. President Caim
  54. Duke/Count Murmur
  55. Prince Orobas
  56. Duke Gremory
  57. President Ose
  58. President Amy
  59. Marquis Orias
  60. Duke Vapula
  61. King/President Zagan
  62. President Valac
  63. Marquis Andras
  64. Duke Haures
  65. Marquis Andrealphus
  66. Marquis Cimeies
  67. Duke Amdusias
  68. King Belial
  69. Marquis Decarabia
  70. Prince Seere
  71. Duke Dantalion
  72. Count Andromalius

At #50, Furcas comes close to the pilot's demon. There also are Furfur, Foras, Forneus and Focalor as the other "F named demons"

yCEqcyB.gif

so will this part of the scene be cut in the actual premiere?

The Aliester Crowley/MacGregor Mathers version of the Goetia is a good copy to own.

I hope to hell they use authentic occultism on the show. Nothing bothers me more than when these shows make up their own demons. There are so many good demons with unique looks and attributes. It always comes across to me like some sort of Buffy rip-off when they make up some demon.

There's a good, cheap Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology readily available to use as a quick reference.

I enjoyed it well enough. More camp and less pagan than I'd like, and overloaded with silly genre cliches (the worst being either the sacrificial blonde or the entire mental hospital), but still good fun. And the leak's video quality gave a slight Garth Marenghi quality to the opening scenes, which actually worked in its favour.

Liv's acting desperately needs improvement if she's going to be a recurring sidekick. Her voice really grated on me. Her mom's was even worse, so I can only assume that Nana's husband was a massive chunk of ham. And not American ham - I'm guessing since this is E1M1 and not purely a pilot that she won't be allowed to suddenly switch nationalities and use whatever her usual accent is, and that's a shame. But if the producers insist on John having Katy Perry as an offsider, then so be it.

Perhaps this was another sly con, to make John look better by contrast, which he certainly did. Matt Ryan's going to make a great Constantine. He's already pretty much there, and with a bit of luck his comic-binging will get him even closer. I enjoyed his purloining of Ennis' opening speech; I wonder if he'd seen it in the comic by then? It'll be an interesting double-take for him if he hadn't, because the context is so completely different. And I loved the general scattering of throwaway quotes too. Gratuitous, but a bit lovely. Surprised they didn't use 'cheap flashy little crook,' but maybe they're saving that for daddy's actual appearance. I liked the take on Ritchie, though it seems odd that if he's desperately hiding from even remembering John, he has a giant painting of him in his office.

I see that Neil Marshall's still undermining his mostly-alright direction with brain-dead fucking jump scares (The Descent could've been made ten times better by the careful excision of ten seconds), so good for him.

And yeah, I hope that the Person Of Interest magic isn't the hook that drives the show. That would be very dumb.

Should we maybe tag this entire thread for spoilers? I can't see much spoiler-free talk occurring in here any more.

Also, Furcifer sounds like a really twee pet name. And I loved their pronunciation of Nergal, which sounds a million times better than it did in my head.

I am about to roll it, so my comments will be in real time to me, except that I won't post this til it's done. I probably will answer any questions i ask, if any. "Eeeeeee" is a squeal of delight.

Opening shot on Ravenscar. Good.

"I'm an exorcist" Does he ever make that claim anywhere else? I thought he was an "occult detective."

Newcastle! Yes! "Astra, her name is Astra!" eeeeeee!

John follows cockroaches around? Our boy is a bug lover! No, of course bugs lead to demons.

I still giggled at "bollocks."

Atlanta? Why not Irving, geez!

added "in bed" to fortune cookie. that's an oldie and a goodie.

cheesy runes on the security data pad. dumb!

Liz's demon scene runs too long.

"what" and "it" are the same, aren't they?

Manny the angel.

"No offense, Squire -" John said. plus plus!

Did he say "fuck off?"

"Um, officer? Do you think the murderer might have carved this eyeball in my door?"

OK, nice touch with the graffitti screams.

I think it's cool that John can't see the souls but is aware she can. seems hellblazerish.

ghost train. that's an old west tall tale.

oh no, they listen to Social Distortion? a mid-level 90s band? in 2014?

wait, Chas is a yank? no no no.

yay, Astra! but no Astra's arm. tsk tsk.

Chas gets axed in the pilot? holy shit!

the keys to the House of Mystery?

helmet of fate. "put that down, luv."

an electric demon. i guess Nergal was too much to hope for.

of course, John has to drive, they done kilt off Chas. (by the way, for those keeping score Hollywood 2, Chas(z) 0.)

Manny is annoying at first but funny. ("Was I right?") His contacts are stupid.

First of the Fallen mentioned! Eeeeeeee!

Ritchie! Eeeeeeeee!

"I need your help, old son!"

John is a bastard! Eeeeeee! "It would be a real shame..." good.

Ritchie said "Nergal." So it WAS Nergal at Newcastle! Quite cool!

Chas lived! Oh, no, he has survival skills? That sounds like it might turn silly in the future.

Awesome rooftop sex ruse.

John has a cellphone?

Papa C blames John for the death of his mother. Eeeeeeee!

Ritchie can take down a power grid? That makes him a terrorist!

Don't believe the demon, John!

Oh, no! "I'm coming for Astra AND Nergal!" Straight from the WWF

The Newcastle story is close to being faithful.

OK, there's John putting out a cig at the start of the scene from which the cigs, ashtray and zippo image came.

So, it's the John/Liv Scrying Game? Is that the basis of this show?

That last monologue and scene with John was spot on and way off, to me.

Flap off. Seeing "Feck" is less offensive, one would thing to get away with under the censors radar as an alternative

Guest DKY2Y

The pilot was great, but guys didnt you notice the Swamp Thing reference?? Its the first easter egg to appear

Untitled.png

Guest DK-Y2Y

Can you guys guess the other easter eggs based on other supernatural characters? We know Dr Fate, Swamp Thing and Ibis the invincible all have their easter eggs

I enjoyed it well enough. More camp

That word did creep to mind a couple of times during the episode, maybe more hammy (which you also used!) than camp but something that felt a little too over-the-top every now and again.

It's basically a love letter to the comic with some TV trappings bolted on to make it a viable series. So, yeah, it'll probably be a demon-of-the-week thing but there are plenty of hooks already for a decent over-arc and I'm already looking forward to Constantine turning the tables on everyone at the start of the second season!

I think they absolutely nailed the ending which is the most important part of any pilot.