Mick

Constantine Pilot 1.0 Leaked - SPOILERS

To my senses, a lot of the OTT delivery and gestures bore the hallmarks of over-direction, so it's possible they'll happen less once the usual directors take over. Wishful thinking, based on little other than my irritation with Marshall's peccadilloes, but oh well. It's fun to be hopeful.

The horny demon was pure camp, though. I wonder if it was Nergal himself, or just a flunky. I guess even if it was him, demons are shape-shifters, so we're not necessarily stuck with that form.

Yeah, that bit definitely screamed 'early leaked version.' But it was also in the trailer, so who knows what to expect. Probably some added CGI, at least.

So with hindsight I've thought of a few more explicitly positive notes:

-We got a scene of John shouting at an electric wire. In the first episode! That's the best kind of silly

-The comment about the electric demon reanimating bodies was nicely underplayed; most shows would spell it out more

-The electric demon was neatly done in general, and tied in nicely with the ECT bit at the start (which reminds me that the show had a great opening line)

-The full version of the 'not my problem' bit was even better than the trailer, as was the 'she did it,' and the callback to the bit about the card was even better than the bit itself

-Flap off

-Skulls!

-Jeremy Davies is good in everything and I look forward to poring over his workspace when we have a proper version

-The creators must've been so proud of their flamey-hands con; everyone was going on about how wrong it was when in context it's about as completely perfectly right as humanly possible

-Ravenscar in London as opposed to the States as I originally assumed

Is Newcastle in London as well?

imagine someone, who knows nothing about hellblazer, come to this forum because of the series and read this comment. he has to think we are dumbasses.

imagine someone, who knows nothing about hellblazer, come to this forum because of the series and read this comment. he has to think we are dumbasses.

That's commendably self-aware of you, sonny. Top of the special class.

Ravenscar is near Whitby, not Newcastle.

Unless you are thinking of photo reference from its most recent appearance, in which case it is in Lancaster.

As Ritcie mentioned, yes. How US states have a Newcastle?

Ravenscar is near Whitby, not Newcastle.

Unless you are thinking of photo reference from its most recent appearance, in which case it is in Lancaster.

Damn. I nearly forgot about Withby

Obviously I can not possibly have seen this, so what follows is pure speculation on my part.

The opening scene and the twist on the well known FACTs of Ravenscar, was priceless ("It's what I pay you for")

The delivery of "She did it" was exquisite.

This is John Constantine, not Keanusteen. I think the accent wanders around and they should have left out the attempts at scouse.

Chas ... hmm, Chas was great, but that thing he does that makes him John's longest (living) friend seems a tad uncalled for. Never mind, it's a small concession.

Richie was pretty much spot on.

I wish they'd pronounce Liv's surname as "AberdINE", because for me their knowing nods to the comic's fans worked well.

I like this angel, Manny. He reminds me of Dogma. I hope they do a Dogma crossover.

The way Constantine gets Liv on his team is classic Constantine.

The electric demon should have been downloaded like that Gremlin in Gremlins 2.

I thought that was handled well, although those of us with inside info (ie 250 comics in our armoury) will not have thought that was Astra for ONE SECOND, the programme has to impress new folks and that will do it.

Nergaaal? I never knew it was pronounced that way ;-)

The hidden home with all that magical stuff is a nice way to provide us with a Streatham lock up.

As much as the smoking will be cut, I think the way that was put in this version was very pleasing.

They should film the scenes and cut the fags out.

The magical fire hands scene in full context was my I TOLD YOU SO moment for all those who doubted.

I give this adaptation 9/10.

One point off for Magical Reanimating Chas.

I am quite happy with this and hope NBC can do some sort of "deal" with British telly.

• Upvote 2

England, not London.

QV sarcasm.

• Upvote 1

Did he say "fuck off?"

Flap off. Seeing "Feck" is less offensive, one would thing to get away with under the censors radar as an alternative

But it's a reference to having wings, ennit?

By the way, I liked the new Rachel Weiss, but one can always hope that "Liv" does not "live" for all the series and they start a catalogue of John's former sidekick ghosts.

A quick Google search shows, quite a number actually.

Most of them are New Castle though.

But, Newcastle, Washington and Maine for two.

Other New Castle locations include:Delaware, Pennsylvania, Indiana, California, Wyoming, New York....I give up looking.

It'd have been hilarious had they made Newcastle as one of the US locales.

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Far from perfect, but way better than I was worried it might be. Better as a TV adaptation of the character than as a pilot in its own right - it's got promise, but there are some serious rough edges that'll need to be smoothed out if it's too work as a series (and several things that I'll be surprised if they make it into the version ofthe episode that's actually going to air - not just a few iffy FX shots but some proper dodgy bits of visual storytelling, and it lapses into supernatural-TV cliché more often than I'd like). But Matt Ryan's Constantine is instantly and consistently recognizable as "our" John, and that buys a *lot* of benefit of the doubt from me.

There are far more elements drawn directly from the comic than I'd expected, too. It's very clearly the work of people who are deeply familiar with the source material, and who seem to have a very solid grasp on the character.

More detailed thoughts when I've watched it again. But on a first viewing, it gets a tentative thumbs-up. I'm in for at least half a dozen episodes, because there's definitely some potential there. I'll be interested to see how much will be changed before it airs.

• Upvote 2

Better as a TV adaptation of the character than as a pilot in its own right

Very much agreed, nicely summed up.

Feel like Ade loving it should really make future promotional materials!

• Upvote 1

yeah, i liked what Ade and Mark had to say. I agree with them, as well.

Better as a TV adaptation of the character than as a pilot in its own right

Very much agreed, nicely summed up.

Yes. I'd go as far as to say this story with these production values could have been extended to a much better film than certain other Hellblazer films.

• Upvote 2

Can you guys guess the other easter eggs based on other supernatural characters? We know Dr Fate, Swamp Thing and Ibis the invincible all have their easter eggs

According to some over on SHH! The skull is actually Pandora's (as in New 52 Pandora) Box....

Guest DK-Y2Y

Yeah it looks like Swamp Thing but the skull definitely has features of Pandoras box. THe three eyes and the holes in the sides of the skull is definitely Pandoras box. But why make it look green?