Mick

Constantine Pilot 1.0 Leaked - SPOILERS

Sorry to be a cock (on this occasion only), but the leaked first episode wasn't what I'm looking for in an adaptation of Hellblazer to the screen. I won't labour the point, but in a nutshell: too shallow a reading; too American an approach.

For the record, "American" isn't bad, just wrong for Hellblazer IMHO. (If you'd all been with me under the Brooklyn Bridge on the 4th, 2005, screaming "USA! USA!" I probably wouldn't have had to make that disclaimer.)

I'm an Anglophile and I prefer British TV and books, so it's possible my experience was warped. On the other hand, there are US screen versions of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, and they're not often spoken of as definitive.

I'm genuinely happy for the forumites who felt Matt brought their idea of John Constantine to the screen. It didn't happen for me; to me it felt like he was cosplaying. Early days, though.

There was a lot of good stuff in there, some clever concepts and clever scares, which is promising for the rest of the series.

• Upvote 1

Oh of course, the whole positivity is tempered by a sense of "as good as the nation that so misunderstood football could manage".

They aren't making a kids show.

They are never going to make our idea of Constantine,

mostly due to DC being so insipid etc etc

Overall, I find British writers do the best horror fiction. Perhaps it's the long lineage, going back to the Gothics and Victorians (although America had Poe, Hawthorne, and Bierce as stand-out horror writers from that time-period too). Maybe it's the pagan history then, which is something lacking in American culture. Whatever it is, there just do not seem to be the same quality of horror writers in America as in Britain. It could be my taste, as some may really love Stephen King and Dean Koontz (oh god, please don't enjoy Koontz....).

There just seems to be something off about American horror fiction, even with some of the better (lesser known) examples in the contemporary field.

I think in some ways, the description of this show as Hellblazer by way of Constantine is quite apt. It does remind me very much of taking classic Hellblazer stories and filtering them through the lens of the New 52 comic's sensibilties.

Regardless of whatever else that internet user may have been saying.

you know after the last season of torchwood i am quite disenchanted about american authors on stuff being good in british hands. but for the sake of it being a hb adaption i will give the series a chance, which means watching it till it will be cancelled anyways.

In case I sent the wrong message, here are some US TV shows I think are brilliant:

Party Down

Don't Trust The B**** In Apt 23

Breaking Bad

Archer

Futurama

Band of Brothers

The Wire

no, fuck you, it's too late to backpedal, you peed in the bed, now lie in it! :laugh::tongue: :icon_wink: j/k

those are all fine shows, and there are even more than just those.

maybe not its entire run, but X- Files had a decent streak of greatness.

Early Law & Order, before it became a formula launchpad for bad clones.

Walking Dead might not be consistent, but its best episodes are outstanding.

Weeds was silly but had some wonderfully comical moments.

Louie is deeper than one first expects, and is almost transcendent.

Sopranos was good early on.

Vikings is very good (its half American/half BBC)

Battlestar Galactica was awesome for 2 seasons and half a third season.

Firefly was decent.

maybe not its entire run, but X- Files had a decent streak of greatness.

That's spooky — a couple of hours after I posted, I thought, I can't believe I left The X-Files off the list! :ohmy:

There are lots of good US TV shows. I just listed the ones I think are works of high art.

• Upvote 1

Works of high art? Well, you're missing one important show then. Would you believe, Get Smart?

Either that, or the Twilight Zone.

• Upvote 1

two words (i can't believe I didn't think of this sooner)

SOUTH PARK

I mean one word!

SOUTHPARK

yeah.

:boogie::hattip:

By the way, I liked the new Rachel Weiss, but one can always hope that "Liv" does not "live" for all the series and they start a catalogue of John's former sidekick ghosts.

:sherlock:

• Upvote 2

no, YOU are!

4b42d-facebook-music-notes-symbols.png what's that? hey, i'm doris day, i was not brought up that way 4b42d-facebook-music-notes-symbols.png

My thoughts pretty much echo Mark's. What problems it has are largely focused on its quality as a pilot rather than an adaptation, particularly the lumpen exposition that was all over the place, and unnecessary explanation of what happened in Newcastle. What happened to a bit of a mystery in the arc plot, eh? Constantine's dialogue seems to be channelling Delano and Carey, but their brands of oblique phrasing and baroque wit don't really work once you put them in the mouth of an actual human being - would've been better to look to Ennis for inspiration.

But my biggest complaint was with Liv, who lacked any kind of personality, interests, agency or drive. If she's making up one third of the regular cast, I'd hope for a bit more to her character (they could've taken out two of those 'here's what happened at Newcastle' scenes and replaced them with a bit of background for her instead). Thankfully the news that they're ditching her for Zed suggests that they're aware of at least some of these problems, and bodes very well indeed for the future.

Aside from that, the Judeo-Christian worldview (which will hopefully expand once they have more eps to play with) and magical Chas (though I can see why they'd need to change the character to fit the format of the show - a non-magical bloke who's based in one city isn't of much use in an episodic action-horror show that roams the US), it's so much better than I could possibly have expected. Given the awfulness of modern DC John (as far as I'm aware; don't bother with comics any more) I'm grateful that this show is getting it so very, very right.

• Upvote 1

I don't know, I'm pretty much an atheist and the judeoxian shit didn't put me off too much. you have to assume it won't only be judeoxian based because there's just not much to cover there that hasn't already been done to death by other shows, books, etc. if it does take that unilateral path, it WILL be disappointing, but with all the seemingly going out of the way to make hellblazer refs they made, they seem to have the big picture more in focus than we'd like to give them credit. like you and mark have said, the regular tv show stuff, like pacing, editing, direction, writing--that stuff needs to pick up in order to keep it from being canceled. oddly, and this is strange to say (even stranger to think), I am confident, from most of what i've seen, that they will do their best to bring us (hellblazer fans) as much of a hellblazer show as they can while still trying to appeal to a wider audience , which is any show's goal. in order to appeal to a wider audience, we (hellblazer fans) will have to make concessions in our expectations, which based on what i've seen so far, i am comfortable making. but they better not abuse my willingness to meet them halfway, or I'll make trouble. (no, i won't)

So one scene has been reshot for the pilot according to this story on the actress cast for Zed.

The closing quote in that article [ Spoiler : suggests that Liv might be killed off in this new scene ].

Guest Gillian

http://www.ksitetv.c...matt-ryan/34960

KSITETV's CRAIG BYRNE: At the TCA panel for Constantine you mentioned a longtime friend who had been a fan of the Hellblazer comic book series who was quite excited when you got the role. Were there any specific Hellblazer stories that he told you to read?

MATT RYAN: Well, Dangerous Habits, straight away. He sat me down and he was like "Okay, there's a few things you need to know," and he just took me through all the character traits, what he's like, and all of these things, and even now, I'm constantly getting e-mails from him about stuff. It is great to have a real fan; he's going to be my harshest critic though, I know. So if I can please him, I think that I'll be all right.

Thanks for that, it's great to see such enthusiasm for the character.

I am not even troubled by the thought of who he'd like to see in the series.

So one scene has been reshot for the pilot according to this story on the actress cast for Zed.

The closing quote in that article [ Spoiler : suggests that Liv might be killed off in this new scene ].

that would be in line with most of his friends. i was wondering how much of the pilot would need to be reshot.

As for the interview, this made me happy.

Any last words for fans who will be racing this?

Just that we're trying to stay true to the source material, and I'll try my best to interpret the character and make him true to John Constantine. I hope you enjoy the show.

I quite liked the pilot, and I think Ryan mostly nails the character. As an adaptation, it seems to be a LOT better than I hoped for. As a show...the jury's still out.

I read the news that they're ditching Liv and bringing in Zed. That might be a good idea, but doesn't that mean they'll have to cut one of the best scenes from the pilot?

I.e. the one where John shows he's manipulated Liv to think it was her idea to track down trouble-spots. That was a VERY nice piece of JC-thinking right there.

It's only been said that they are dropping her as an ongoing character

Imagine the impact if she were to walk away like Kit at the end if the second episode.

Probably not a tv exec sort of plot though

• Upvote 2

It sounds like the pilot shown at SDCC featured the changes mentioned, from the Kotaku write-up on it..

[ Spoiler : If you watch the first trailer, there's a snippet where Liv says "I need to find these things and stop them, and I can't do it alone." That's been replaced with an explanation of why we're not going to be seeing Liv anymore. ]

It sounds like the pilot shown at SDCC featured the changes mentioned, from the Kotaku write-up on it..

[ Spoiler : If you watch the first trailer, there's a snippet where Liv says "I need to find these things and stop them, and I can't do it alone." That's been replaced with an explanation of why we're not going to be seeing Liv anymore. ]

What was the explanation?