Mick

Constantine Pilot 1.0 Leaked - SPOILERS

"Forget his lack of smoking; they can't even give him the correct "Hellblazer" title."

Oh puh-leeze.

• Upvote 1

Guest Drake

Didn't like the pilot. Although Ryan's acting and impersonation of John was pretty good, it didn't feel like it was John Constantine. To me, it felt like this is just a Supernatural 2.0 with a character named John Constantine, not a series about Hellblazer.

My problem isn't even with him not smoking, that I can work with. My problem is that the character didn't feel like him. John is an asshole, a complete dick. An awesome one, but still a goddamn son of a bitch. And, from what the pilot showed, this one is much more of a nice guy who made some shitty decisions.

This is the script's fault, though. I was gladly surprised with Ryan's acting.

Didn't like the pilot. Although Ryan's acting and impersonation of John was pretty good, it didn't feel like it was John Constantine. To me, it felt like this is just a Supernatural 2.0 with a character named John Constantine, not a series about Hellblazer.

My problem isn't even with him not smoking, that I can work with. My problem is that the character didn't feel like him. John is an asshole, a complete dick. An awesome one, but still a goddamn son of a bitch. And, from what the pilot showed, this one is much more of a nice guy who made some shitty decisions.

This is the script's fault, though. I was gladly surprised with Ryan's acting.

I didn't see a nice guy when at Ritchie's uni office or manipulating Liv the entire time

I agree that he's slightly on the cuddly side in the pilot, but "John is an asshole; a complete dick" is pretty much only true during Azzarello's run. For the rest of the series, he's a bleeding-heart humanist far more often than he's a shit.

• Upvote 2

Guest Drake

I didn't see a nice guy when at Ritchie's uni office or manipulating Liv the entire time

Eh, I don't know. Even when threatening to blackmail Ritchie and manipulating Liv I didn't really feel like he was being a dick. Just someone doing what was necessary.

I agree that he's slightly on the cuddly side in the pilot, but "John is an asshole; a complete dick" is pretty much only true during Azzarello's run. For the rest of the series, he's a bleeding-heart humanist far more often than he's a shit.

True, but even when he was being a bleeding-heart humanist, his methods were... dubious at best. That's what I loved so much about him.

It was mainly Azzarello and Milligan who wrote him as an asshole.

Delano's John was mainly depressed, sober, and world-weary.

We saw John as a bastard for the first time during the Ennis run, but mainly it was Ennis writing John as a manly-man.

I'd say the pilot's character is closest to the Jenkins version though. Jenkins' John was the most likeable person. I mean, I like Delano's John, and the Ennis version was mostly likeable, when not racing wild mood-swings, but you get my point.

• Upvote 2

I maintain that John Constantine as bastard/asshole/villain is a shallow reading.

Welcome aboard, though, Drake. :smile: We're on the same page here:

... Although Ryan's acting and impersonation of John was pretty good, it didn't feel like it was John Constantine. To me, it felt like this is just a Supernatural 2.0 with a character named John Constantine, ...

Yeah, he's a bastard and friends and enemies call him a bastard, but there are plenty of times when he's been a big old softy.

In the pilot I don't get that at all. He manipulated Liv, and did what he needed to convince her that she was making her own decisions.

It's where I hope she gets to make a decision and walk away, but at the same time, killing an innocent is a theme of Newcastle and the many ghosts that Constantine has collected since Newcastle have varying degrees of their own responsibility for their actions.

JoBlo throws the first dagger at the revised pilot

http://m.joblo.com/j...K339QVUxeV1P.97

Not a very impressive review, I must say. There was one thing I think he got right though: He claims that they just towards the end inserted a scene where Chas tells JC that Liv has become scared and run away. If that is indeed how they handle the switch from Liv to Zed, that sounds pretty weak. I mean, that would make most of the content of the episode meaningless. I hope they do better in the finished product.

True, but even when he was being a bleeding-heart humanist, his methods were... dubious at best. That's what I loved so much about him.

Well in the pilot he SPOILER: Lets an innocent die and manipulates her into seeing the body because he needs to motivate Liv to play along, even though she would be in too much danger otherwise. Oh, and he tricks the villain into making a fatal mistake. That's pretty spot-on, I'd say. Also, the way he leans on Ritchie is pretty nasty, considering the guy is supposed to be his friend, and is mentally unwell.

I'd also disagree with the claim that he's supposed to be a 100% 'asshole' - there are plenty of times in the comic where he acts with compassion and kindness to someone, just because he feels like it.

Regarding the reshoot, the change to the end is as described then yes, that's lame and a really dumb way to end an already kind of wonky pilot. I guess major reshoots were out of the question, but you'd think there would've been something a bit more elegant. Killing her would at least give the impression of a 'dangerous', unpredictable show. Having her wander off by herself is just weird, dramatically speaking.

I vaguely agree with most of the criticisms in that review, but I think he's overstating how serious they are - or maybe I was just delighted enough by the portrayal of John that it didn't matter. Also, lines like this--

Despite being in England in the previous scene, Constantine comes out of nowhere to offer his services

--make him sound like someone who's just looking for stuff to complain about. Putting aside this being exactly what John does in the comics all the time, the idea that a character catching a plane offscreen is too much for the reviewer to process is just bizarre.

Speaking of reviews, I may have to start up a new blog to review the two versions and the further episodes along with the comics

so have any of you seen pilot 2.0?

i hate the reviews that compare the pilot unfavorably to the movie because it's instantly obvious the reviewer never read the comic.

that Liv drop does seem rather silly. it's that bit in the trailer when chas says "she isn't coming back, John." innit?
  • Upvote 1

so have any of you seen pilot 2.0?

i hate the reviews that compare the pilot unfavorably to the movie because it's instantly obvious the reviewer never read the comic.

that Liv drop does seem rather silly. it's that bit in the trailer when chas says "she isn't coming back, John." innit?

Not until the premiere date, I haven't but I may give it and 1.0 the double feaure treatment along with Swamp Thing and the stupid camp fest that was Return of... when the time comes

and a cartoon.

the tv show and cartoon suck mighty gods of ass.

ok i saw the first movie a few hours back. first of wes craven would not be the first choice to direct anything. second, it looks its according age, especially the costume (dear god). but it had its moments and some charme i grant you. but i can get nothing of Adrienne Barbeau, i think its her hairstyle. as someone who has quite a hairfetish (if that is a thing), 80s hair is bad, like fucking ugly bad.

i'ld give it a solid 6.5 of 10 circles.