Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

The Spectre?

but we get zed. see what they are doing? we concede something like this to get something like that. i believe the pragmatist will be the happiest with this show overall, unless/until they do something so bad its level of suck is absurd cliche.

I like his confidence. Not only does he think the show will go on for at least 8 episodes. But he also thinks he can pull this of without alianating us the five guys who will whatch it. So I hope everyone of you has a ratings-box, gonna be a rough ride guys.

Not sure what the problem is here? The talk of spin-offs? He's only discussing a general attitude and possible developments that might spring from it, not setting down a five-year plan. And provided there aren't loads of really shitty backdoor pilots where Constantine disappears so we can follow Boston Brand or whoever around, I don't have a problem with it.

Apropos of very little, I actually really dislike The Spectre - the traditional 'Ooh, you murdered a bear with a pickaxe so now I'm going to turn you into a pickaxe made of bears and set you on fire, or something' one; maybe the variations are okay - as I find him dramatically inert both as a protagonist and an antagonist. But hopefully they'll take the opportunity to rework these characters to make them more suitable for Constantine's world and show.

Also, it's surely only a good thing if the producer is so confident about the show that he's not only laying the seeds for long-term stories, but also viewing it as a solid base from which to launch other franchises. You don't want this thing to be run by someone who's not confident about its future.

The only downside I can see is that it might encourage a more conservative streak in the writers and producers, if so many potential properties are tied to the success of this one. But that's pure speculation.

Like James, I see this as a positive sign.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a potential Agents of SHIELD for the Dark end of the DCU.

References to Smallville encourage me as the cameos in that were very subtle and often improved the existing characters.

(Not Zatanna though)

And maybe, just maybe, DC can be shown a better way to deal with Constantine & friends.

Actually, when I say "Improved", I mean did better than just copying characters from the comics.

I hope Plastic Man makes an appearance.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a potential Agents of SHIELD for the Dark end of the DCU.

Aye, except hopefully not shite.

I think it just speaks more towards where the tone of the series will be. People here are talking about what issues of the Hellblazer comic we want to see on the screen, when in reality, it might make more sense to be discussing which stories from JLD we want to see on the screen.

An episode introducing a big ghostly guy in a green cape who is the Vengeance of Heaven is going to require an entire episode focusing on Jim Corrigan. How he became the Spectre. What the Spectre represents. Etc. Then, probably John will have to talk the Spectre down from doing some thing horrible to someone that the Spectre judges deserves it.

This will be within the first couple of episodes.

I just believe it shows where this series is going. Some thing more for fans of Buffy, rather than for fans of good horror fiction.

That's not what was said though.

Firstly, it's episode 5.

It's suggested a policeman called Jim Corrigan would appear, and he'd have some sort of sense of the supernatural world.

And his character would develop slowly over the series.

Episode 5 is hardly far in to the show. Ha. Ha.

Oh, I guess it is true that it said that Jim Corrigan would be introduced in episode five, not the Spectre, although I still say it's ambiguous.

I like the Spectre too. I like a lot of DCU characters. But, I didn't feel that the Spectre showing up in the Vertigo Madame Xanadu comic book for a story-arc added anything to that series, and was a very weak story.

That's not what was said though.

Firstly, it's episode 5.

It's suggested a policeman called Jim Corrigan would appear, and he'd have some sort of sense of the supernatural world.

And his character would develop slowly over the series.

???

I'm just joking about the quality of Agents of SHIELD.

I was replying to christian, citing what was said in the interview as opposed to the catastrophised version he proposed.

http://inthefleshdomblog.tumblr.com/post/103045107408/emmett-scanlan-interview

Speaking of US network series, congratulations for being cast as Jim Corrigan in NBC’s Constantine, what an amazing character to play!

Scanlon: I tested for Constantine in February. And looking at how Matt does it, the better man won out… But David Goyer and Daniel Cerone have never forgotten about me. Felicia Fasano too. I owe them a lot for bringing me back.

Aside from animation, no one has ever portrayed Jim Corrigan (or The Spectre) onscreen before. How does it feel to be the actor to play the first live action depiction of a (future) DC Comics superhero?

Scanlon: I didn’t know that. So technically I’m the best and the worst Jim Corrigan has ever been…

even though i like the concept of the spectre, i find it hard to imagine him into the world of jc. wouldnt john normally be on the hitlist of the spectre and since the spectre would piss john off, he would eventually be on johns hitlist too?

No, John's not killing or robbing anyone so I would imagine that while the Spectrre may not apprectiate our John, he surely has no reason to target him.

And John would know better than to tangle with the Spectre. He's not that crazy.

• Upvote 1

even though i like the concept of the spectre, i find it hard to imagine him into the world of jc. wouldnt john normally be on the hitlist of the spectre and since the spectre would piss john off, he would eventually be on johns hitlist too?

I'm sure they'll make it work if the scene from Books of Magic are anything to go by

No, John's not killing or robbing anyone so I would imagine that while the Spectrre may not apprectiate our John, he surely has no reason to target him.

And John would know better than to tangle with the Spectre. He's not that crazy.

last episode he did kill someone, if you look from a certain perspective, also i thought: first of the fallen > spectre.

Mmmmm...not quite the same thing, that whole killing part. I think the Spectre could probably weigh your hearte with his eyeballs and so I would assume he has much bigger fish to fry. And battering people and frying them alive would be just something the Spectre would do. As fo x > y, well, you have the first fallen angel up against God's wrath.