JohnMcMahon

Has NBC ruined 'Constantine' by straightwashing its protagonist?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Well ?

• Yes!
    • No!

Dave    265

I am bored. I have to get my jollies somehow.

Said John to the fucking dogs face.

By the way, I vote that we rename the forum Bi to Hell

• Upvote 7

Lou K    1,057

And who the f would that be?

A dude who's thirst for human penis can only be rivaled by that of one Mr. John Constantine.

wow is my hangover showing?

Bilirubin    38

And who the f would that be?

A dude who's thirst for human penis can only be rivaled by that of one Mr. John Constantine.

wow is my hangover showing?

Do you know the best cure for a hangover? Dog vomit.

Wait no that's the worst nm

Lou K    1,057

Yeah that does not sound pleasant. Not one bit.

But if NBC doesn't show show our ConJob riding roller coasters on shrooms while vomiting on a dog's penis I will straight up boycott this show. It's a key part of his character.

Also: smoking.

• Upvote 3

Gwilym    330

This discussion's suddenly turned into Would You Rather without the Would You Rather

A. Heathen    1,129

SO we're agreed, all the other characters should be gay, bisexual or trans-sexual and there should be dogs and cats living together ?

A. Heathen    1,129

I doubt he could get the accent right.

By the way, Liverpool Tumblr is rife with complaints that the actor is not a scouse.

That's what I heard.

Gwilym    330

Are they all taking turns to calm and then reignite the conflict?

• Upvote 1

seventhcircle    582

Are they all taking turns to calm and then reignite the conflict?

i wonder if liverpoolians ever get anything done. the whole conflict thing seems like a bottomlesspit that sucks you in but will never give you back.

JasonT    441

:hattip:

By the way, Liverpool Tumblr is rife with complaints that the actor is not a scouse.

Bah. Now I won't be able to see the word Tumblr without reading it in a Liverpool accent. :angry: Clearly, dropping the "e" from "tumbler" was an attempt to indicate the throat-hawking sound at the end.

Guest Gillian   
Guest Gillian

That's what I heard.

The alternative actor for John Constantine is Scot Williams

MBeuCYc.png

A native scouser, his acting as Sparky in the movie Clubbed is brilliant. Just take a look at this interview

slinker    893

Honestly, if BlackmanXXX showed up right now I'd need an awful lot of convincing to stop me from shutting the shop down!

i was going to say this whole thread is a deja vu for me because when i was a lurker, i remember the "is john bi" thread going crazy thanks to the user you mentioned above. that was one of the most bizarre interactions i'd seen on this forum.

Red    467

Wouldn't it have been great if, say, seven episodes in John just happened to make an off-the-cuff comment about an old boyfriend - very much in the way that it was handled in the comics oh so long ago ?

THIS.

slinker    893

The bisexual community is now planning on boycotting Constantine, NBC and its advertisers. Because a comic character whose bisexuality was depicted as deviant and negative, which is their big complaint, the only representation they get in entertainment is as deviant and cliche and negative, won't be potrayed as bisexual in his TV version.

I normally support boycotts because i always take the side of the oppressed vs the oppressors. In this instance, the oppressed role is claimed by the bisexual community and the oppresors are the TV show who won't portray its lead as bi (unlike the comic in which he was bi, but portrayed as deviant and cliche in a negative manner, which bisexuals purport to hate), its network and the advertisers that support the network.

If someone can explain to me rationally why a show that refuses to portray its main character as a deviant bisexual, which is all he ever was shown to be in the comic, then I will join the boycott even though I am hopeful it will be a good and faithful adaptation of my favorite comic.

I would prefer someone who is bisexual to answer please because we straight Hellblazer fans don't get it according to the bisexual Hellblazer fans. but since it has reached the point of boycotting the show which in all likelihood will kill it before its first season is done airing, I want to understand why John Constantine's deviant bisexual behavior, the kind which they claim is offensive in every other manner in which it was depicted, is not offensive to them but embraced by them to the point that he is the posterboy for their cause until the show depicts him as straight, when he becomes the object of their rage. It seems at best they simply don't understand or haven't ever read hellblazer, and at worst, a hyppocritical attempt to co-opt misplaced rage at the expense of a show whose character means something to them that isn't what they think.

I need to understand this because right now, i doin't think they are being oppressed by the show and I will consider it a terrible loss if the tv show based on my favorite comic gets canceled, not because it sucks, but because people who misunderstood the character and never bothered to understand him boycotted the show so the advertisers had to pull their support. If it's a good show and represents Hellblazer in a generally accepted way by its fans, I might flip the fuck out. It seems to me to be misplaced rage, but if there's something I'm missing and can be explained without insults or dismissives, please explain it and I will boycott the show even though I'm looking forward to it because long live the oppressed and down with the oppressors!

Guest Nick Neko   
Guest Nick Neko

I'm guessing the majority of people who plan to boycott the show never planned to watch it in the first place, because they could care less about some comic called Hellblazer. That's probably the bad part of all this. I highly doubt there's a large portion of the HB audience who are bi-sexual, since statistically bi-sexuality is a minority, and I don't see a majority of bi-sexual individuals were HB fans.

It'd be funny if the Christian Right started to get behind the show for helping to keep America on the straight and narrow, like that Fish Philet debacle.

But, Christin groups will probably decide to start a campaign against the show for being occultism.

This will get the media to give the show coverage though. Controversial show turns gay man straight...Do you think this is rightor wrong? That'll be the way the media portrays it.

James    38

Got links?

I'm not sure that this boycott would have a big enough impact to actually affect the show's success.

Red    467

I would prefer someone who is bisexual to answer please because we straight Hellblazer fans don't get it according to the bisexual Hellblazer fans. but since it has reached the point of boycotting the show which in all likelihood will kill it before its first season is done airing,

I think you wildly overestimate the power and cohesiveness of the bisexual community.

Red    467

Haha, I actually tried opening that link. :tongue:

slinker    893

I hope you guysw are right, but I also know that advertisers are pussies and so are networks, and they've pulled shows in the past when they just got threats. if you go on tumblr there's like 30 posts in a row under one of the constantine tags and the links are there. i hope i'm making a bigger deal out of this than it is. I'm not the only one, though.