Bear McCreary, a pretty damn good soundtracker, is doing Constantine.

http://www.bearmccre...#sounds-sights/

https://www.youtube....h?v=ir8U3mktf24

And with superb timing

"Proud to return once again to the DC Universe to score @NBCConstantine.

You will hear the Constantine Theme soon! :) "

We've done a few music of Hellblazer things here (someone can probably provide a link).

I might even have a CD of the last one lying around somewhere.

So, name ONE song that is your theme for John Constantine.

• Upvote 1

Nice choice! One of the best bears in showbiz. His BSG track "Roslin and Adama" cuts right through all my defenses. It could even work as John's theme during several parts of Ennis' run; maudlin and Irish-sounding as it is.

But I figure you want song songs, so

For this John Constantine, anyhow. Thatcher-era punk in a popular American shell.

Hm. I wasn't too big on that theme in the pilot, and kind of hoped it was a place-holder that Bear was now replacing.

Hearing it properly, it is pretty cool. The blend of goofy and menacing works well for the character and the show. The dubstep influence seems a bit cynical, but it works too.

I just think the melodies are vague. Like, the harpsichord hook is good, but it feels half-composed; where it should resolve, it just repeats. And the main melody (on strings) has pretty much no contour at all. It just goes. Then it goes a bit higher. I'd say it too sounds like the first half of a melody that never gets to complete, instead repeating the first half with variations. Which could easily be fan-wanked into a metaphor for John's existence.

This is something I've thought about some of his tunes before (even the Roslin/Adama track has traces of it), so maybe it's something to do with minimalism that I just don't get.

• Upvote 1

That's a much better analysis than I could possibly give, Gwilym. I do rather like it, but it's a bit all over the place isn't it? Fuzzy heavy metal chords, twangly gothic harpsichord, soaring operatic strings and that weird impromptu dubstep sting that doesn't quite fit in with everything around it. It's like he's not entirely sure what the tone of the series is supposed to be, so he's checking off all the possibilities in the hope that a couple will strike home.

Still, like I said, I do like it. But yeah, it feels like two or three unfinished pieces strung together.

yeah, dubstep is an interesting choice. i kind of like it as a remix tool, but original dubstep can be annoying if left on for a significant amount of time. i've heard some trippy badass dubstep and some dubstep that begs to be turned off and burned.

• Upvote 1

I'd have to go with something by Tom Waits off his Heart of Saturday Night album (not the title track though).

If you're wanting something instrumental, I'd go with something like Blade Runner Blues.

That's not dubstep!

They should get MC Hammer to rap over it.

TV themes tend to be clipped and have all these extra bits added to sell it

you know, it already has a fine soundtrack. :icon_rolleyes:

it existed before the show was conceived.

Listening again, the disparate parts build together, I am almost reminded of something, but I can't quite get it.

Thought it was the Re-Animator series, but it isn't.

And it has me thinking of Dexter at the start.

Listening again, the disparate parts build together, I am almost reminded of something, but I can't quite get it.

Thought it was the Re-Animator series, but it isn't.

And it has me thinking of Dexter at the start.

The piano bits had me at Sherlock

Guest Nick Neko

It reminds me if something too. Some older TV show that featured ghosts, but I can't place it.

It's not haunting enough for me. It gives me the impression of a show that doesn't take itself seriously. I was hoping for the feel of the Hellblazer comic, where a percentage of the time you wrre expecting to get depressed reading it.

It's not bad, but like Gwilym I think it feels unfinished. The main theme takes too long to get into focus, and needs more love.

It's really growing on me. More of an atmosphere/mood piece than a melody, I guess. Can't make a judgement on how good it is in that respect till the show's on TV, obv. But I'm liking it more and more.

His theme from the film was pretty neat. Its title asked viewers to do the impossible, but that's okay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqINpXMMa3E

No real melody there either, but that's also okay because it doesn't pretend to have one.

As for the TV theme hinting that the show doesn't take itself seriously; it's difficult ground, because it has to be a theme for the character as well as the show. John is often flippant and swaggering, and Bear's version definitely conveys that. Filmstantine was humourless, so his theme was more grim, with the only life being the "this man is cool" guitar.

For the show itself, I'd like somewhere between the two. Which I'm sure will happen - Bear is very good at grim.

If they need suggestions for closing montage music then they need to hit up Mister Adrian Brown, his Hellblazer Compilation from back in the day is bloody brilliant - especially the opening tracks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQGAuxRPO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Z3d-PKGbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdaxYWegMmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYOVIc1pwR4

Here is the 60th Birthday mix.

Hotel In Brixton ~ Baxter Dury ( Happy Soup , 2011 )

Trouble Is A Lonesome Town ~ Lee Hazlewood ( Trouble Is A Lonesome Town , 2013 )

Cat People (Putting Out Fire) ~ Giorgio Moroder & David Bowie ( Cat People (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture) , 1982 )

(You Will) Set the World On Fire ~ David Bowie ( The Next Day (Deluxe Version) , 2013 )

Werewolves of London ~ Vitamin String Quartet ( The String Quartet Tribute to , 2003 )

Drunkard's Epiphany ~ Johnny Hickman ( Tilting , 2012 )

How I Won My Stripes ~ Jokes ( With Punchlines , 2013 )

Autopsy ~ Stephen Duffy/The London Metrolitan Ensemble ( I Love My Friends , 1998 )

Look Like Shit ~ Lauren Hoffman ( From The Blue House , 1999 )

Devil on a String ~ Robyn Hitchcock ( Love From London , 2013 )

Be That Man ~ Goran Bregovic with Eugene Hütz ( Champagne for Gypsies , 2012 )

The Last in a Long Line ~ The Leisure Society ( Alone Aboard the Ark , 2013 )

Exit Everything ~ Rowland S. Howard ( Teenage Snuff Film , 2000 )

Me And The Devil ~ Soap&Skin ( Sugarbread , 2013 )

Last Night In Soho ~ Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich ( Rock Masters: The Legend Of Xanadu , 2005 )

You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful and You're Mine) ~ Ringo Starr ( Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo Starr , 2007 )

The Sun ~ Baxter Dury ( Happy Soup , 2011 )

• Upvote 1