Sign in to follow this  
seventhcircle

ranking authors

has there been a thread about an authors ranking, like whom did you enjoy more than the other. i know there are the revisitation-threads to discuss each author and this is all good and well, but lets get to cold hard comparative lists. my choice from worst to best:

Peter Milligan

Brian Azzarello

Denise Mina

Warren Ellis

Andy Diggle

Mike Carey

Paul Jenkins

Garth Ennis

Jamie Delano

(most guest writers did at least decent jobs, but would be unfair to enlist them here ;) )

i found it hard to rank jenkins and carey accordingly to each other, as i enjoyed them both. the only really bad thing in jenkins run was the bush-fairy (whoms name i cannot remember ^^) and later on i really hoped to see that green fucker back, so there is that. and for warren, he could've done the best run in hb, but... :( well you know the story

Oh, we've had entire tournaments. I'm sure Ade can find them somewhere. My ranking is something like this:

Delano

Carey

Ennis

Jenkins

Diggle

Mina

Ellis

Azzarello

Milligan

IIRC, Delano, Carey and Ennis were the favorites of the board at the time.

Delano at #1-Way up above everyone else.

Jenkins at #2-A big drop after these first two.

Ennis at #3

Carey at #4

Ellis at #5-It's pretty close between Carey and Ellis for me, but Ellis didn't get to do much, and Carey had some stories that were far superior to Ellis (his last story-arc, for one).

Diggle at #6-Sort of by default, as we're hitting the doldrums.

Mina at #7

Azzarello at #8-Sort of hard to know which I dislike more at the bottom two.

Milligan at #9

Wow, first time we did that vote, 43 people took part.

Adding up all votes across the three years, the table looks like this

Delano 8 (79%) Carey 7 (74%) Ennis 5 (58%) Ellis 4.5 (59%) Jenkins 3.5 (48%) Diggle 2 (30%) Milligan 2 (24%) Azzarello 1.5 (25%) Mina 0.5 (17%)

The first number is how many they are better than (.5 means it was a tie) the second number is the mean percentage they got.

ie Delano has beaten all 8, with an average of 79% of the votes in each pairing.

Remarkable to note in 2010 Milligan beat Mina 13-0 but in 2012 Mina won 8-2.

The tables were turned by Azzarello too but not by so much.

There are no other swings, but Delano's ratings have notably increased - either because the discerning people who prefer eg Azzarello have moved away from the forum, or because Delano's issues are reissued.

Carey

Delano

Jenkins

Ennis

Ellis

Mina tied w/Diggle

Azzarello

Milligan

• Upvote 1

Carey

Delano

Ellis

Jenkins

Diggle

Ennis

Azzarello

Mina

Milligan

But if I just take my favourite story by each writer

Carey

Ellis

Azzarello

Delano

Jenkins

Milligan

Diggle

Ennis

Mina

Picking out a list just by your favourite story by each author really skews the rankings, doesn't it? Milligan and Azzarrello both look a hell of a lot better when you do that, and Jenkins suffers as no stories from his run really stand out. A bit unfair as this is mostly down to them all being solidly good stuff, so there's no Ashes And DustFreezes Over poking up out of the shite like an iceberg in a sewage plant...

Yeah, I'd say a few of Jenkins stand out, and especially better than Freezes Over from Azzarello.

Would the animal tarot issue that served as sort of an epilogue to Critical Mass count as part of Critical Mass? Because that's my very favourite Jenkins issue.

It would really be unfair with Milligan though, as he managed two excellent stories, while the rest was trash. That's not even grading on a curve.

Mina would just sink. She has nothing to rank by on that basis. Her stand-alone story stands nicely alongside most of Milligan's run and Ashes and Dust for HB stories I don't want to read ever again.

Even that way of ranking, Delano still ranks highest without competition, for my list.

• Upvote 1

Top to bottom –

Jamie Delano

Garth Ennis

Denise Mina

Peter Milligan

Warren Ellis

Paul Jenkins

Brian Azzarello

Andy Diggle

Mike Carey

Although pretty much everyone between the first and last couple could move around depending on which specific stories I can remember. If they were ranked on best stories, Azzarello would probably rank higher. If ranked on worst stories, Ennis and Mina would be a lot further down.

If it came down to each writer's top stories, Azz and Warren Ellis would rank very highly with me, while Garth Ennis and Paul Jenkins would rank lower. But in fact I rate the Ennis and Jenkins runs highly for their overall standards.

Not sure why anyone would want to know that... but f*ck it, I've typed it, so y'all might as well read it. :tongue:

• Upvote 1

I'd still rank Ennis and Jankins high....although Jenkins would lose his second place spot.

I'll go with my ranking based on their best story:

Jamie Delano

Mike Carey

Garth Ennis

Paul Jenkins

Peter Milligan

Warren Ellis

Brian Azzarello

Andy Diggle

Denise Mina

It'd be hard to rank based on worst stories, really, because every one of them has had awful stories.

Delano's had a lot less bad stories than any of the other authors, but he had at least one really bad story.

Delano's had a lot less bad stories than any of the other authors, but he had at least one really bad story.

which says a lot considering he had the longest run after MILLIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. (oh sorry was that too loud?)

Are you sure? I thought Jenkins' run was longer?

i just looked it up and ennis run was also pretty close. but i don't know about the number of guest writers into the runs.

Well yeah, but Delano got an extra story as well. And there were definitely more fill ins in his run than in Ennis or Carey's...

Yeah, I'm not sure if this was based on straight runs, or all issues total by that author.

Delano had 37 issues total (not counting any extras like the annual).

If we count that, then that includes Son of Man by Ennis (which I wish had just never been written....).

I believe Ennis only had two fill-ins during his run, to four fill-ins for Delano.