Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Ladies ! Know Your Comics !

http://io9.com/5985199/how-one-mans-lies-almost-destroyed-the-comics-industry

Wertham commented that the images of strong women reinforced "violent revenge fantasies against men and possibly creates these violent anti-men (therefore homosexual) fantasies. . . . Sheena and the other comic book women such as Wonder Woman are very bad ideals for them."

this is shocking, shocking i say. we should ban female characters from comic books, except the good girls, that only speak when spoken too and never do anything inapropriate (like walking down the street alone). and not only from comic books, but also from the telly and books and basically everything. strong women in the real world should be prosecuted. i mean just imagine all those lesbians, they couldve been straight, like real people, if they just hadnt read comic books at their time. tragic and shocking of cause.

Comic books are the bane of all society....Creating sex starved young men, creating homosexuals, creating violent hoodlums, creating man-hating lesbian feminists....

Oh, and let's not forget their worst sin, encouraging children to learn how to read! Gasp, think of how many literate school-age kids in America there'd be today if Werthan hadn't stepped in to save them!

Thank god the comic code came along to ban such things. Otherwise, society might not have worked out so well.

The comic code guidelines on women were hilarious too. The women in comics must be extremely feminine, passive, submissive to male characters, but they must also not look overly-feminine in body....they should have small breasts, thin waists, wear modest clothes.

I'm guessing there was a switch-over in the comic code in the early-1990s. "Women in comics now must have extremely large breats, wear as little clothes as possible...but keep those incredibly thin waists."

I'm guessing there was a switch-over in the comic code in the early-1990s. "Women in comics now must have extremely large breats, wear as little clothes as possible...but keep those incredibly thin waists."

i guess the called it the liefeld paragraph or smthg...

Unless I'm mistaken, DC made a point of hiring William Marston Moulton (a very respectable psychiatrist and inventor of the lie detector)* to design Wonder Woman as a positive role model for young girls, partly in a bid to stop the crap that was already bubbling away a decade or so before Wertham published his nasty little book.

When you look at the '40s Moulton/Peters strips, the "revenge fantasy" notion is utterly laughable: Wonder Woman was about the only golden age superhero who'd make a serious attempt to reform and rehabilitate her enemies, rather than just beating the shit out of them and/or killing them.

*(And a femdom enthusiast who'd published about the natural superiority of women, obvs.)