Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

It was twenty years ago today: The Invisibles

Today I started to re-read The Invisibles. When I looked at the first cover, I noticed that, by total coincidence, it's 20 years this month since issue 1 was published.

And the first words are "And so we return and begin again."

Twenty years.

The Invisibles is so old that it ended before this forum began. We don't have a thread for it, or even for its writer.

For the benefit of those forum members who don't know, what was The Invisibles?

• Upvote 1

The Invisibles was the ALL!

Yes, who was that mysterious writer, Jason? He never went on to do anything else of import, right? We do have at least one Morrison thread...it's just been buried. There's probably more than one if you really dig.

The only drawback to the series is how much Morrison took from Robert Anton Wilson. Outside of that, it's nearly a perfect comic book. I was never thrilled by the ending though. I felt that the second half of the final Trade (IInvisible Kingdom) fell apart.

My girlfriend just finished reading The Invisibles recently. I got her on the road to reading comics, starting with From Hell. Moving on to Promethea. Then, Sandman. Invisibles. Now, she's reading Morrison's Animal Man.

Reading The Invisibles made Julie get a crush on Grant Morrison.

My favourite Morrison books are Invisibles, Animal Man, and Doom Patrol.

Having a crush on GM is a good thing.

Invisible was madness, I tell you, but it has been years and years since I read it.

I recall Lord Fanny's origin tale to be amazing.

• Upvote 1

i read it for the first time a couple of years ago. wondering if it's too soon to reread. took me forever for some reason.

I shall have to get around to that myself.

One nice thing about the Invisibles (showing it's still taken seriously) is I think it was the first Morrison comic to be fully collected as a fat, expensive (the best part of a hundred quid) hardback. I could be mistaken, but I think that was out before the X men collection, and long before the Doom Patrol one.

Fucksakes, Jase: I can't even see that now, just one of those blue squares with a white question mark in it...

• Upvote 1

Yeah... it was working when I posted it. Looks like the original host reacted to the hotlink. I replaced the link, let's see if the new version holds.

I could upload the image to my own hosting and link to that... but no-one wants to be caught hosting that image. :wink:

Your girlfriend, sure. Tell "her" to click the link to the source website for a couple more treats.

For the sake of my childhood, I hope no-one ever finds a similar photo of Carl Barks.

• Upvote 1

You should see the swimsuit shots of Alan Moore: those are just plain frightening...

did you guys see spinal tap? i think it's a cucumber wrapped in foil. why did he wrap it in foil?

He's Scottish, Slinker: that'll be a white pudding, not a cucumber.

:tongue:

Does everyone realize there's an Invisibles short story that wasn't collected in the TPBs? It's called "Hexy" and was published as the bonus story in the Absolute Vertigo preview comic.

It is included in the omnibus editions though.

I bought all of those Vertigo preview books back when they were coming out.

At first I was freaking out, though, because I thought I got rid of my copy of Absolute Vertigo when I bought The Invisibles TPBs. I always thought that all of the Invisibles stories were collected. I know that the ones from Winter's Edge were collected.

But, when I checked, I saw that I still do have my copy of Absolute Vertigo! I see online that copies are going for a lot of money now.

I thought I'd give a heads up for those with the TPBs who thought that they had every Invisibles story.

Jeez, Absolute Vertigo is going for 20-30 bucks for a secondhand copy, and more for an hermetically sealed one. Guess it's because of the Preacher first appearance. "I should sell mine," etc.

Don't spose you could scan the Preacher bit first, could you? The internet doesn't seem to have it anywhere

I don't think the Winter's Edge story is in the collections either, is it?

I'm pretty sure that "We're All Policemen" was collected. The web-site where I noticed that "Hexxy" was uncollected before said that it was the only Invisibles story missing from the TPBs. The site could be wrong, but looking further, it says that the story was in the Counting to None TPB.

Gwilym-There's nothing to show. It was just a preview of the first five pages of Preacher #1. The Absolute Vertigo comic was released prior to the Preacher monthly series. Jason's assuming that the high price is due to idiot speculators trying to make people believe that the comic is worth a lot of money due to it being technically the first appearance of Jesse Custer. That's playing fast and loose with comic introductions, but I wouldn't put it past the EBay money-crazy crowd.

My guess that was the price was so high since it was the only Invisibles story not collected, and since Invisibles has gotten more popular since the series ended, the price has gone up. But, my theory is limited by the fact that the story is collected in the omnibus edition.

How odd. I've seen talk about an uncollected Preacher #0, but if they just mean a snippet of #1, then that's a bit silly.

Thanks for the info, Christian. I was all set to dig out the pamphlet and scan it for Gwilym and the world (if it's not available for purchase, it's fair game IMHO). Now I don't have to. :smile:

For folks like me who have the original floppies of The Invisibles, Absolute Vertigo might be the best way to get that single story. Not if you have to pay more than the cost of the omnibus, of course.

And don't forget that the very first appearance of Genesis was in a dull issue of Hellblazer as well: I'm sure you could find somebody willing to sell you that for stupid money...

:tongue: