Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Rebellion 2000AD reissues...

Is anybody else pleased that they've pulled their fingers out and started reissuing some of the more obscure old stuff, or is it just me?

There was the blink and you'll miss it Harlem Heroes collection (which went in and out of print so fast that I didn't have a chance to get hold of it before used copies started circulating for silly money: maybe it'll go back to press at some point), and two collections of Flesh (the current one presumably a repackaging of the first one) as a curtain raiser, but now they seem to be getting into more obscure stuff. Ace Trucking Co and Harry Twenty On The High Rock have finally been collected. The Science Fiction Thrillers collection (The Visible Man, Tribal Memories, Colony Earth and the first Universal Soldier story, along with more recent schmutter), the Blackhawk collection (including both the cod historical stories from Tornado and the insane science fantasy run from 2000AD) and the Meltdown Man collection are better still for dredging the depths of obscure good shit, and now there's a collection of Return To Armageddon on Amazon. This is a story I've been hearing about for years (and seen a few snippets of in the long gone Quality reprint anthologies I'd got for Zenith), so that's another I fancy the look of.

Whatever next? The Mind Of Wolfie Smith and some of the Starlord stuff might be fun...

It's definitely good news in principle, though in practice I won't be buying any of the collections so far. Wouldn't mind a collection or two of Finn.

That's one I can't understand them not collecting, to be honest. Okay, saying it was the best Pat Mills strip of the '90s might be damning it with faint praise when you look at some of the other dreadful shit he was squeezing out at the time (just look at any random issues of Toxic or the drivel he was publishing through Marvel), but it still stands up pretty well, and had some gorgeous art. Probably the only decent thing he did between Marshall Law and getting his groove back after the turn of the millennium, frankly.

On a related note, it'd be nice to see some more Battle reprints besides Charley's War, Johnny Red and Major Eazy as well...

I'm not sure exactly when this was actually released (I read all these books in their Quality Comics reprint editions over here), but I really like Mills' Third World War.

Finn was also really good from what I got to read. It was a 4-issue mini-series over here.

4 issues was probably the whole thing — there wouldn't have been a lot of it if you put it all together.

On a related note, it'd be nice to see some more Battle reprints besides Charley's War, Johnny Red and Major Eazy as well...

For sure. I used to adore Battle when I was a kid. (I didn't grow out of it, they just stopped making it. :smile: )

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by JasonT

Yeah, you're right. I had to look it up — those "papers" all used to merge into each other in a vaguely dirty fashion, and I'd forgotten that Battle ended up in Eagle.

I don't know which Battle stories survived the merger... can't recall anything that would have been worth saving circa 1988. In either comic. :smile:

I read all these books in their Quality Comics reprint editions over here

Me too. The main feature was a Dan Dare series drawn but Dave Gibbons that I really wanted to like but it was just... Buh. I really liked Harry Twenty. And the V.C.'s to a lesser extent. I think Skizz was in there too, but I'm sure that's already been collected.

Yeah, Skizz was collected in a TPB by DC Comics, when they had the rights to collect Rebellion material, but that's out of print now, because DC gave up that contract a long time ago.

So, I'm not sure if Skizz is available in the US now or not.

Skizz was pretty fun.

For my money, Skizz was the single best thing Alan Moore did at 2000AD. It's a lot less saccharine (as you say) than ET, and I also like the political element to it. Also, anybody of a certain age from the UK looking at it now, it creates an astonishing sense of the time it first appeared.

Jason: I think the only Battle strip that the Eagle kept going was Charley's War, unless you count the Storm Force nonsense (which you probably shouldn't...)

I really like some of Moore's sci-fi short stories for 2000 AD, but otherwise, I'd agree about Skizz being his best work there.

I wasn't as big a fan of Halo Jones as a lot of people. I just had trouble really getting invested in to the story.

And, I didn't really like D.R. and Quinch. Not my thing.

Jason: I think the only Battle strip that the Eagle kept going was Charley's War, unless you count the Storm Force nonsense (which you probably shouldn't...)

:hattip: Again you've prompted me to look it up. By the time Battle folded, Pat Mills had finished with Charley's War, the post-Mills WWII stuff had ended, and they were reprinting the classic material. So when the strip moved to the Eagle, it was reprints.

Battle, 1986

Eagle

I think Mills is quite smug that when he stopped writing it the strip only lasted another couple of months before it was cancelled.