Shawn

Lucifer being played for laughs for TV

Dave    284

Well, I watched it last night. I'd say it was a fun piece of crap. It's not great TV or anything, but there was a bit of a smirk to it which i kind of enjoyed. I won't be adding it to the DVR queue or anything ( I could see panic in my wifes eye when she walked in as i was watching it), but i'll watch it if there isn't anything else on.

A. Heathen    1,171

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

If this succeeds where Constantine failed (ie America) then the world (of TV) has gone to Hell in a handbag.

• Upvote 1

Christian    805

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The commercials they kept airing all during X-Files episodes made me say, "Oh god, no!".

That scene in the commercial where Lucifer said something about, "I'm the Devil", and that lady starting laughing in the most annoying way imaginable told me this was probably not a show I wanted to watch.

If they chose that as one of the best scenes to showcase on a commercial, I imagine it'd probably annoy me greatly.

I had already spent an hour watching X-Files on Monday, and I'm not used to watching TV anymore, so I decided I had enough.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    496

If this succeeds where Constantine failed (ie America) then the world (of TV) has gone to Hell in a handbag.

There's other places in the world besides America?

:ohmy:

Demon Chas08    295

You just had to be right if the ratings for the pilot are any indication

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/26/tv-ratings-monday-jan-25-2016/

wolvy    58

I thought it was OK, it had nothing to do with Mike Carey's series and didn't really feel like it. If you take out Lucifer, it's basically eccentric English guy helps out the L.A.P.D.

dogpoet    496

I'm working on a mini series based on De Sade's 100 Days Of Sodom for Fox: a buddy cop double act investigate some very strange murders in a castle full of perverts who have been up to some stuff that probably isn't consensual with the locals. The CSI team have a falling out as one of them rather sides with the pervs, while the other feels that the locals are being oppressed. Of course, they resolve these issues and arrest everybody before the end of the third act.

(Small wonder the television networks all do this: it's frighteningly easy...)

• Upvote 3

Demon Chas08    295

It makes me wonder, had Constantine not gotten the axe, would we have seen the Family Man storyline "adapted" as a police procedural?

By the possibility of omitted Thomas and his death from the precedings for budget reasons (i.e. no London filming), it'd be pretty close to that

dogpoet    496

It makes me wonder, had Constantine not gotten the axe, would we have seen the Family Man storyline "adapted" as a police procedural?

By the possibility of omitted Thomas and his death from the precedings for budget reasons (i.e. no London filming), it'd be pretty close to that

Thomas was killed in Liverpool, not London.

:tongue:

Demon Chas08    295

Thomas was killed in Liverpool, not London.

:tongue:

I was exhausted from work at the time!!! :Chas:

A. Heathen    1,171

2nd episode, more likeable as a show with Easter Eggs related to the Vertigo Universe.

At its best, it's Monk in reverse. Good Buddy Cop Not Cop stuff.

At worst it's Constantine with a less cool lead.

And we seem to have a meta-crossover with the appearance of Ritchie Simpson.

The "Word of Lucifer" thing is annoying.

wolvy    58

It annoys me that he's really not very smart.

They seem to be playing up the arrogant and hedonistic part of the character.. Which is odd, because Lucifer in Mike Carey's run wasn't into partying and having orgies. He was a bit arrogant, but then that's expected when you are as smart as he is. I might continue to watch the series to see where they go with it. But if they continue down the route I see them going, I'll probably drop it.

Gwilym    330

So is he basically Hank Moody?

I hope Tom Kapinos just gets it over with and does a remake of Cool As Ice

Red    467

The main problem is trying to fit the second-most powerful being in the universe into a whodunnit cop show. They can really only do that by completely nerfing the character, which in turn makes it quite unbelievable that the can actually be the devil. If you're going to have a near-omnipotent character in a series, the challenges and problems he faces needs to be on that level too. Which is why the whole idea is pretty stupid.

wolvy    58

The main problem is trying to fit the second-most powerful being in the universe into a whodunnit cop show. They can really only do that by completely nerfing the character, which in turn makes it quite unbelievable that the can actually be the devil. If you're going to have a near-omnipotent character in a series, the challenges and problems he faces needs to be on that level too. Which is why the whole idea is pretty stupid.

Well, supposedly there is a mystery at why the lady cop is immune to his charms and they seem to be heading in the direction that he is becoming mortal the more time he spends with her. Granted, I still say the concept of The Devil not hiding the fact that he's The Devil is a bit funny. Because, usually they would go in the reverse route and have him constantly trying to hide the fact that he's Lucifer. But we'll see how they go with the story.

If they tried to do it like the Comic, it would be impossible unless it was an animated series. Because in order to even get close to it, they need to have all of the cosmic other worldly stuff in it.