Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Top Ten Marvel 1970s Debuts

Marvel's Greatest Debuts of the 1970s, list by Marvel.com.

My favourite decade of Marvel Comics.

10.Moon Knight

9.Wolverine-Surprised to see he's not #1, unless the rankings were based on their impact during the 1970s?

8.Man-Thing-Awesome!

7. Punisher

6. Ghost Rider

5. Nightcrawler-Probably the biggest surprise on the list.

4. Ms. Marvel

3. Iron Fist-I don't think he should rank so highly.

2.Luke Cage

1.Storm-I'm not sure the rationale for ranking Storm in first place.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I'm sure they couldn't include Conan...considering he debuted long before the 1970s and outside of Marvel Comics.

Unless the "barbarian" in question is Killraven...who really isn't one, but...

Or more likely because he belongs to Dark Horse now. But yeah. When I think "Marvel" and "1970s" Conan and Howard the Duck are the first things that come to mind.

I doubt it. Probably just too obscure.

War of the Worlds is a public domain work now.

Killraven is appearing in Robinson's Invaders right now.

And, Wells didn't actually create him, just the background of his world.

None of that 70s Kirby schmutter there either: I think the Black Panther was introduced in the late 60s, but what's up with the Eternals?

They debuted in 1976. But they've always seemed like rather lower-tiered characters. Not a judgment, I think they're neat, when I've read them. But the Eternals haven't ever been up there in popularity. The two high points where their initial run and the mini by Gaiman & JRJR. Sure Sersi was an Avenger for awhile, but she's never been that well known. All the other Eternals....where are they? Shame. Lots of potential.

Yeah, I think Shawn is correct. I didn't even like the Gaiman series, as I found it dull. I think they were characters who worked best under Kirby, and that nobody has really used them correctly since. Outside of Sersi, like Shawn said, most of the characters are rarely used. Sersi wasn't a prominent member either, just during the John Byrne run, I believe, which wasn't that lengthy.

It did introduce the concept of the Celestials, which has gotten more mileage at Marvel.

Other Kirby heroes from the '70s...Devil Dinosaur or Machine Man....yeah, no chance of them making the list.

Black Panther was from the late-'60s too, yeah.

Adam Warlock! That's who was missing from the list, for mine.

Howard the Duck, Man Thing, and Warlock...those are my big three from the 1970s.

YEAH! I've much love for Adam Warlock.

I need to see if I love Howard the Duck. All I know is that awful movie and that's not right. Someday I'll fix that! Promise.

This all serves to remind me that there are fine 70s characters that haven't really been used recently, or certainly not very well, that have a lot of potential under the right people.

Charles Soule on Man-Thing? He did Swamp Thing a solid.

Paul Scheer (The League) + a partner on Howard the Duck? Trust me on this! He knows comedy and just wrote some Deadpool.

Hickman or Soule on the Eternals?

Al Ewing or Dan Abnett on Warlock?

I am but thinking out loud via keyboard.

Adam Warlock! That's who was missing from the list, for mine.

Weren't his first couple of appearances the late '60s as well?

I think he was that coccoon/Him version in the late 60s. Then properly become Adam Warlock in the early 70s.

Thanks. Wasn't sure of the dates, but I know he was in FF and Thor before 1970, so that probably does rule him out.

Oh man. You're right. I knew that. I wasn't thinking.

I was thinking that Warlock first appeared in Marvel Premiere #1, but that was the first appearance of Counter-Earth and first time he used the name "Adam Warlock".

Yeah, Warlock was originally known as Him and first appeared in FF #67, he was in the cocoon in the issue before. So, yeah, that'd be reason to rule him out, even though the Starlin series is one of the most remembered 1970s comic books.

Wasn't the original Dreadstar GN at Marvel, while we're on Starlin?

Or was that the '80s?

Dominic Fortune was definitely the '70s, though..

Dreadstar isn't owned by Marvel, and he first appeared under the Epic imprint, so that was in the 1980s. So, he's out.

Dominic Fortune was 1970s, yeah. He's rarely used, so Marvel wouldn't bother ranking him over the popular characters.

Hellstorm is 1970s. I'd rank him. The Steve Gerber run on Son of Satan was awesome, and I like Hellstorm better than Ghost Rider.

Ghost Rider is a neat character concept, but one that is rarely ever used in any interesting way in actual stories. I liked the original couple of issues of Ghost Rider, when Satan and Jesus were used as characters in the book, then I liked the J.M. DeMatteis run at the end of volumn 1 a great deal. Otherwise, Ghost Rider just hasn't been well used.

Hellstorm has had a few good runs, he's just not as popular of a character. He had a few good stories in Defenders. The 1990s series was absolutely grand, one of Marvel's best books in the 1990s, without a doubt.