JohnMcMahon

Constantine S01E02 : "The Darkness Beneath"

15 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Constantine S01E02, Please....

AN ANCIENT SPIRIT TORMENTS A PENNSYLVANIA MINING TOWN — JAMES LEGROS GUEST STARS — Deep in the mountains of Western Pennsylvania, John (Matt Ryan) is a small mining community’s only defense against an ancient Welsh spirit. In the course of protecting these isolated innocents, John finds a vital new ally in a mysterious young woman named Zed (Angélica Celaya). Harold Perrineau and Charles Halford also star.

I wondered what happened to James Legros. He used to be in everything, All the little indie films of the 90s had him in them.

That looks shit hot.

As in the hot shit.

You bastard americans better not get the series cancelled again.

Yeah! Don't you dare tune out, my fellow Americans. I needs my Conjob fix!

Must refrain ....from tasteless joke...about "Welsh spirit moving thru Zed"......

I'm liking the vibe I get off her in just that small clip far more than the entire Liv was in the pilot. So, good job show runner people. The bit with John pulling a bit of misdirect, getting his "NINJA: vanish" on, was well done.

• Upvote 1

Guest slinker

This episode took lots of risks, some of which did not pay off, but the ending was rough enough. Don't want to mess about with spoilers, but the obvious climax scene was creepy without being campy. Matt Ryan's swagger stiffens up on him in a couple of scenes, but if he does his own stunts, maybe he was just sore. The dialogue after the dirty car scene was clumsy for a bit, and there were other things to pick on, but it worked for me. I like that the latin spells come from referenced sources (like St Patrick's shield).

9/10 from me.

Special Silk Cut points to the team for showing our boy smoking (even if its from behind). Writing up full review to post in a few just in time to watch Swamp Thing

82 and review that one as well

Also, i am not sure about the CG demon open. I dont remember that from the pilot and I am not sure that it works

An improvement on the pilot. I find it funny seeing all the ways they can have John smoke without directly showing him with a lit cigarette in his mouth. The actress who plays Zed already has better chemistry then the actress who played Liv had with Ryan.

• Upvote 2

Also, i am not sure about the CG demon open. I dont remember that from the pilot and I am not sure that it works

It's short, so meets my requirements for an opening title sequence!

Decent enough monster-of-the-week fare, which really isn't my thing, but Matt Ryan's Constantine is so damn good that I was keep engaged throughout.

Unfortunately ratings dropped to a .9 so we probably won't be getting a lot of this. NBC killed two series yesterday that hit .7

I saw it coming since yesterday was Halloween and those who tuned in last week may have been out Trick or Treating or at costume parties.

I'm not prepared to say "the sky is falling!" just yet as I'm keeping my fingers crossed on 4.7-5.1 for next week.

On the other hand,....

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/01/nbcs-dateline-delivers-networks-biggest-audience-in-the-timeslot-since-march/322698/

“Constantine” (0.9/3 in 18-49, 3.1 million viewers overall from 10-11 p.m. ET):

· Retained 82% of its adult 18-49 lead-in from “Grimm.”

· Retained 90% in men 18-49 (0.9 vs. 1.0), held 83% in adults 18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.6) and retained 100% in men 18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.5).

Last Week’s L+3 Results:

“Constantine” grew by +44% in 18-49 (from a 1.39 to a 2.00) and 1.9 million viewers overall (6.2 million vs. 4.3 million).

Last week’s “Constantine” grew to finish #1 in the hour among non-sports telecast on the Big 4 networks in L+3 adult 18-49 rating.

Not all doom and gloom off the jump as we thought. John, Ade. Think we could set up a Ratings Thread?

I didn't like it, pretty much at all. It had some decent moments (John's contribution to the buffet; James LeGros), but mostly it felt like it was written by an algorithm. A bored one.

I guess one thing that hung over it for me was how - surprise, surprise - Zed's TV adaptation includes prominent hysterics and her IQ cut by about half. For all the producers' yammering about her being a match for John's bullshit, she's barely a few rungs above Liv. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME????????????, pt.2

But that I can adapt to. Less acceptable is how

John solves the case because someone gratuitously mentioned they were a Romany.

Fuck that shit. Even if it had been the awful racist red herring it should've been, that still would've been crap writing. But nope! It's the solution. I knew it! It were them damn gypos all along! In 2014. Christ.

Also if you're going to use the fairly horrific idea of solving a problem by sending a battered woman to spend eternity with her abusive husband, at least bloody acknowledge that fact. It's completely perfect for the character, but in a show that usually spells everything out so much, it felt like they didn't even recognise they'd not wrapped everything up in a tidy little package.

Oh and John doing his sneaky-sneak infiltration into the mine was hilarious. And stupid, but Matt made it cute.

• Upvote 3

I saw it coming since yesterday was Halloween and those who tuned in last week may have been out Trick or Treating or at costume parties.

Good man, that's improved my mood some on this and sure by all means go and create a ratings thread if you'd like.

someone gratuitously mentioned they were a Romany.

That kind of jumped out to me as well, it's a European/US thing maybe but you wouldn't get away with that kind of thing on tele over here. Her back story sounded a hundred years out of date, too!

I thought Zed came out of the episode quite well, and there was a definite implication at the end that all is not as it seems with her.

And now, some quick positive musings....

Surprised at how overt John's smoking was! Loved the opening interaction with Chas.

All that fan pandering with Zed's sketches, thank you!

Over-arc! I need that in my drama series and we got just a little here.

Constantine warning the bad guy and his method of dispatching them was good, though I'll admit Gwilym's point about the nature of their relationship does put a nastier, unsettling taint on that. She was asking for it though </internetcrucification>

It's always going to take a handful of episodes for everyone to get to where they need to be, they've got a good base in the cast so I hope the writers have it in them to transition quickly from "blood-spot of the week" to proper serial story-telling.

• Upvote 1