I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

I'm an alligator.

I am an antichrist.

• Upvote 1

I'm bicurious for Constantine.

I'm an alligator.

I am an antichrist.

you are just a monkey doing unspeakable stuff to a frog.

• Upvote 1

I'm bicurious for Constantine.

I'm an alligator.

I am an antichrist.

you are just a monkey doing unspeakable stuff to a frog.

More like a monkey doing norfulthings to a frog

• Upvote 2

was john's bisexuality really that big of a deal in the comics anyway ? i remember like one quote about it in the comics and the obvious mentions and , ew, doggy blowjob in azzarello's run ( which would technically make him into beastiality in that case, even if he was drunk off his ass and tricked into doing that, so i guess he really is one kinky bastard) . otherwise he's a relentless womanizer most of the time. been a while since i read up on some good ol' fashioned hellblazer anyways though.

was john's bisexuality really that big of a deal in the comics anyway ? i remember like one quote about it in the comics and the obvious mentions and , ew, doggy blowjob in azzarello's run ( which would technically make him into beastiality in that case, even if he was drunk off his ass and tricked into doing that, so i guess he really is one kinky bastard) . otherwise he's a relentless womanizer most of the time. been a while since i read up on some good ol' fashioned hellblazer anyways though.

To some, they always cite #51 and Ashes and Dust for bisexuality

Apparently it was mentioned much earlier then that. in one of the Swamp thing comics, someone called out to John saying "Hey Fruit Loop!" which was apparently a slur back then.

It was a slur, but its also the kind of thing a redneck would say to any "other" especially an English dude whose very accent would seem "faggy". Id have to see it in context to really know.

Apparently it was mentioned much earlier then that. in one of the Swamp thing comics, someone called out to John saying "Hey Fruit Loop!" which was apparently a slur back then.

When one of the rednecks had the gall to piss him off just after learning of Emma's death. I do remember but that barely registered as an early reference. Zed asking Ray Monde about his ties to John, maybe (thought Ray balked at the thought)

$2 says it's Chas, and totally hetero

Or to show Renee "look, 'e's moved on, luv"

apparently people on Tumblr are still mad and bringing up old stuff just to stay mad at the show. They ask for bisexuality, the show gives bisexuality, and they're still mad. Plus, I don't think someone who is bisexual just randomly yells it out to the world. In a normal situation I would think they would give small hints of flirtations here and there, which is what John has done.

• Upvote 2

apparently people on Tumblr are still mad and bringing up old stuff just to stay mad at the show. They ask for bisexuality, the show gives bisexuality, and they're still mad. Plus, I don't think someone who is bisexual just randomly yells it out to the world. In a normal situation I would think they would give small hints of flirtations here and there, which is what John has done.

In a way, Tumblr babies don't understand how bisexuality works. Real life isn't an episode of Torchwood (especially circa S1)

There are certainly some people making a somewhat unreasonable fuss about the issue, especially given that it's apparently already resolved to as great a degree as could ever reasonably be expected, but the degree of vitriol being directed at the people who were quite understandably a bit narked about the apparent straightwashing of John seems almost comically over the top. Bisexuality remains massively underrepresented in popular media, and even though it only very rarely played much of a role in the comics it is an established facet of the character, so as one of very few bi protagonists out there it's not surprising that he's become something of a mascot. Ironically enough, there's a reasonable chance that the TV show could do a better job of representing John as a bisexual character than the comic itself ever did, and I reckon that'd be something worth celebrating.

As to those supposedly attention-seeking bisexuals* making such a big noise about being bisexual...well, in my experience most sexually active bi folks *do* tend to be fairly vocally open about it, as long as they live in a place where it's safe to do so (and even if they don't, online is a pretty safe space for that). Firstly, the more visible they are as a group the more normalised and accepted bisexuality will hopefully become, and secondly...well, there aren't a great many of non-straight people out there, really. Being open about one's sexuality is a pretty important thing if one wants to maximise the chances of meeting someone of your preferred gender(s) in the first place...

Thirdly, of course, there's just the simple matter of wanting to lay a claim to one's own identity in the face of a culture that's generally ignorant of or hostile towards it. That's a lot more important than most people who aren't members of an oppressed/marginalised/underrepresented minority tend to appreciate.

*Full disclosure: I'm one of 'em, although not among those to whom this particular issue is especially important.

• Upvote 2

the biggest complaint i've seen on imdb is that john is too much of a happy-go-lucky do-gooder in the show.

the guy nearly drowned a baby to death in episode 8.....

some are even complaining about the non-smoking when he's seen with a cigarette atleast once in every single episode....

as for tumblr, their opinions usually aren't worth much. neither are the opinions of those on imdb either usually :P

• Upvote 1

I think Mark has pretty much said all that needs to be said, very eloquently, as usual.

Thank you, mate.

So yeah, to the surprise of not a single one of earth's humans, Cerone's "John kisses a man! Promise!" was talking about Chas. Platonic, token, and in the context of getting Chas out of the way so he can go home with a bird. Queerbaiting of the worst kind, and easily the most cringeworthy and idiotic moment of the entire debate. Whether he's consciously trolling or completely oblivious, he needs to stop digging.

And then smash himself in the face with the spade, as penance. I apologise if the topic is now anathema, but for the thread to be locked as somehow 'resolved' with those as the last official words is not a good thing.

The thread was closed by me because the issue was being hashed and rehashed, and was running into completely different matters separated into a different thread.

You make a good point here, relevant to the episode and maybe someone should address it to Daniel Cerone.

It wasn't a lie...that's all I got. I wasn't expecting full on tongue action anyway. I feel like NBC's John is bisexual but would rather make out and do the deed with women while flirting and having the rare one hitter quitter with men.

That's reasonable, A Heathen; I did see how you'd pruned off our discussion of Tumblr and replanted it in its own garden. It makes sense.

But yeah, I also think the "once in 300 issues, so it's irrelevant to the character" argument isn't holding up very well either, because in the ten episodes shown so far, he's managed to have about as much casual sex as he did during those entire 300 issues.

Maybe I'm just forgetting some, but there's the student at the start of Fear Machine, the prostitute in that fucking terrible Azzarello story, and... is that it? I guess you could argue the (possibly imaginary) woman from The Bloody Saint was a one-night stand. Everyone else he's fallen into bed with has been someone he cares about.